• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locking Differential

jaxsof

As the rather not-so-common locking diff was an Eaton/Detroit Locker, and while it is still available, it is kinda pricey. It is also noisy and can get a little wierd on hard-ball roads. I contacted Richmond Gear about making a "No-Spin diff for our heavy rears. They gave me a number required to start production, and if I/we can get a group purchase together we may be able to get a commitment on a price.

How many of us would be willing to commit to purchase a guestimated $700 part (per axle)?

162tcat

I think there would be lots more interest if you got ARB to make an air locker. With the abundance of 5 tons hitting private hands, I think it would be very profitable for ARB too.

If someone wants to take that on and ARB agrees to make an air locker, I'd be in for at least 2.

jdknech

I think there would be lots more interest if you got ARB to make an air locker. With the abundance of 5 tons hitting private hands, I think it would be very profitable for ARB too.

If someone wants to take that on and ARB agrees to make an air locker, I'd be in for at least 2.
I agree... ARB airlocker... i prefer to flip a switch and know its in...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroit Locker/ NoSPIN has been around for 50 years. That says alot about durability. It would be interesting to hear how Richmond could engineer out the peculiarities of the NoSPIN. The selectable locker sounds appealing but we all know they would be much more expensive than the Detroit.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll bet the only reason ARB has sold any air lockers for the M44 Rockwell is the hardcore offroad market. I think sewerzuk is the only deuce owner I can think of that has ponied up the $$$ for lockers. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the money but $2500 for the 3 would get me a lot closer to another M38A1.

I'll bet ARB would sell even fewer M39/M809/M939 units.

quickfarms

I am just wondering, just what sort of real improvement would the locker bring?

How come the military did not want one?
Lockers, or limited slip in smaller vehicles, are common in vehicles ordered by the US Navy or its subsidiary the USMC.

The Detroit locker can trace its development to 1942 and has a very long proven track record.

Yes lockers do make a difference.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am just wondering, just what sort of real improvement would the locker bring?
Probably the biggest impediment to offroad prowess in the 6x6's is the open differentials. With the differentials locked, they're quite impressive.

How come the military did not want one?
Cost
Reliability
Likelihood of broken parts by inexperienced operators
Lack of necessity (the US military somehow made it all the way Europe and the Pacific with open differentials).

jdknech

ichudov

Probably the biggest impediment to offroad prowess in the 6x6's is the open differentials. With the differentials locked, they're quite impressive.

Cost
Reliability
Likelihood of broken parts by inexperienced operators
Lack of necessity (the US military somehow made it all the way Europe and the Pacific with open differentials).
OK, thanks. Are the stock differentials "unlimited slip"? So if some wheels have no traction, they will spin freely and the truck would not move at all?

kindapointless

I seem to recall that some af crash trucks had air lockers on all 3 axles and there used to be a couple sets floating around here for sale. The pope afb crash truck was a cobbled togther 5 ton and it had lockers (found that out when I dropped a cargo pallet off lz). I dont know if that was something motor pool fabed up or what for us dropping stuff in the mud all the time. I know those axles did have air actuated lockers though.

162tcat

I would prefer an ARB over the Detroit for a few reasons. 1st, ice and snow. 2nd, snow and ice. 3rd, reduce wear while just driving around town.
Open axles for regular driving and a locker(s) only when needed. No reason to kill progress, not a lot of aftermarket parts available for the 5 ton axles yet....

quickfarms

In the 70's some Mack's had air lockers in there axles. The axles also had an air locked power divider. The mack axles looked a lot like a Rockwell design.

One disadvantage of the military design is the lack of a selectable power divider.

I have driven trucks with both air lockers and Detroit lockers. Each has advantages and each has issues. There were more issues with the air lockers than the Detroit lockers. With the air lockers you need to come to a complete stop before moving the levers, failure to do this can cause damage.

162tcat

I drive truck for a living, a mack CH600 series. It has a power divider with air lock out and air lockers in the differentials. The air lockers can be activated any time that all wheels are spinning somewhat evenly and the speed is low (under 25 or so, don't remember exactly). I usually lock it up any time I see a questionable situation, never been stuck yet. Road manners and tire wear are excellent in all conditions since you have complete control. Ever driven a limited slip or locker in packed snow or ice? No thanks, I'll stick with an open diff and lock it up when needed.

Sign me up for an ARB air locker! Or maybe 3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks