• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

longest trip in a cucv

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lane took a 1009 from the top of MI to the Florida rally in 07 with a one hour nap the whole trip. I was with him and Maxum.

Brad M

So far, the longest in my M1008 was 120 miles from the mountains of NC to my home near Charlotte NC. Had a nice detour for part of the trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plan to take it further but trying to avoid interstates to keep it below 55 mph whenever possible.

mikelee

had to ask because 3 hours in my m1008 on I-75 in the slow lane was more than enough for me.. driving 55 in the slow lane sure makes people ticked anymore..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
had to ask because 3 hours in my m1008 on I-75 in the slow lane was more than enough for me.. driving 55 in the slow lane sure makes people ticked anymore..
You can see alot at 55. I enjoy my trips at that speed either in the M1008 or the deuce. As far as I see it, folks can be ticked off. At least I don't do 55 in any other lanes!

K9Vic

As a passenger in a friends M1028 I rode 120 miles and about 3 hours each way, so a total of 240 miles and 6 hours roughly. This was in the summer, but was lucky that it was an overcast day and only about 85, but the return trip the sun started to come out.

As a driver in a M1028 round trip of 100 miles and 3 hours. Then in my M1009 about the same 100 miles a few times, but able to go 65mph so it was much shorter drive time. It was summer and about 90, but was not that bad as I was doing like 50mph.

Probably going to go on another 250 mile trip again, but this time in the M1009 so I can take the freeway.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA somebody in the Command decided that since we had a transportation unit in 36th Group that we should convoy out to Fort Irwin, CA for a NTC rotation.

I got to drive a M915 which will run with the big rigs.....unfortunatly our Convoy Commander (a 2nd LT) was in a CUCV and decreed that no one would run faster than himself.

I almost felt sorry for the poor dumb bastage when we got to West Texes, New Mexico, Arizona and H e l l West (also know as the National Training Center). ALMOST.

As usual the back window in the CUCV didn't work so those guys got amost no breeze through the vehicle....think four guys eating MRE's and stuck inside a mobile oven.

I don't remember what the one way mileage was but I do remember that the CUCV's rode back to Benning on the flatbeds and the LT's rode shotgun in the M915's.

hole

You can see alot at 55. I enjoy my trips at that speed either in the M1008 or the deuce. As far as I see it, folks can be ticked off. At least I don't do 55 in any other lanes!
I'm with Kenny on this one! I dont own a CUCV yet, but enjoy the heck out of cruising the Deuce at 50-55. Theres alot to see in this beautiful country, and it's hard to see it at 80mph

Lawrence of Arabia

Longest Trip

I drove my M1028 several times from Detroit , MI up to Iron Mt. MI and then decided to upgrade the Trans to a 700R4. Now I go 80MPH all the way up and back several times a year. Just under 400Miles each way.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my M1028 several times from Detroit , MI up to Iron Mt. MI and then decided to upgrade the Trans to a 700R4. Now I go 80MPH all the way up and back several times a year. Just under 400Miles each way.
80 MPH??? UNFIAR!!!! lol i'm just kiding i go 65 in mine it does that just fine

Mudstone

i drove my cucv from Bridgeport CT to Utica NY and back. Also bridgeport CT to Rausch Creek in PA. Also did CT to Aberdeen. All trips were without incident and not to shabby in regards to comfort. I agree its kinda nice to see the world and look around when you don't have to worry about EVERYTHING at 80mph. They were nice rides though i got a touch impatient on all the rides back.

I was going to run the CUCV out to OK during our move. Then i realized it was July. I like air conditioning so the CUCV got shipped and the nissan got towed behind the penske truck.

pidgeon

758 miles in a day and a half, from Salt Lake City (where I bought the truck) to Portland. I drove an untested, untagged truck 758 miles through an Idaho ice storm without a hitch. Pure luck, actually, since the brake MS went soon after.

Cucvnut

from san jose to pismo beach a few times at 55 mph but now with that lift its about 70 and much nicer its a three way trip each way

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks