• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

look what happens when an electrician gets bored

212sparky

last week i was a little bored so i pulled some parts together and figured i would add a few lights the the deuce and here is what it turned in to. I mounted a large piece of series 2000 wire-mold to the hard top just in front of the windshield, That houses my switches for my lights. that goes to a bank of ice cube relays that then turn on the lights. under the relays i have 5 amp circuit breakers protecting each circuit. then it runs off to the devices. the control power is controled by a relay that pulls in when the main power switch is on so i don't forget to turn off any lights. i am also repainting the cab this weekend. the bed will come later after i fix some rust damage in the pockets for the troop seats. those of you that are coming to Haspin or the Anderson museum rally can see it in person.

Attachments

RAYZER

Your out of control!:p I like the light stands! Wish i had a set for my deuce tractor! Did you add those? Did you add the lollipop lights?

212sparky

yeah indy4x4fab had the convoy lights poles for sale. i got the lollipop lights from glen at bfr metals in Kansas. i also added marker lights down the side that come on when the master switch is on i have had to many close calls at night. my second beacon is on its way and it has an alarm built in that will be tied in a switch i will mount to the transmission sprag shaft, and it will sound off in reverse.

212sparky

I will post a picture at night or shoot some video of it to show every thing. I still have door switches and a dome light to install as well.

212sparky

I do building automation systems and we buy them by the pallet and at the end of a job i filled up a 5 gallon bucket with them. they have a 10 amp rating but fused at 5 amp.

212sparky

yeah it is a work in progress. it will be finished in a few weeks. i still have wire loom to install. i will draw it out and scan it in.

212sparky

i shot some video tonight of my lights. there is more to come. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdIqd8RVXaQ&feature=youtu.be[/media]

plym49

Suggest you replace the unistrut (or whatever it is called) on the external light bar with something else. The unistrut looks a bit slim shady, and the rest of the job is not.

212sparky

I agree, lose the unistrut! A fist class job needs fist class materials. Then fix the bumper!

Rick

the uni strut is just a prototype material. I had it laying around and used it. I have some aluminum angle iron on order that i am going to U bolt in place to hold the lights. i will replace the bumper if i can find a cheap one close by.

212sparky

Outstanding illumination!!!! I'm adding some Grote LED's to the tail of my truck (along with the upgrade kit)........and now wondering if I should of drove to Ohio with a stack of C notes. Great job on your truck!

Come on out to haspin in June and i am sure i can get a bunch more relays and din rail to mount them on by then and can light up your truck! I will have a schematic soon with more detailed pictures of the whole install.

paradeduty

Hey Sparky ---

From one fuse puller to the next - YOU ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF CONTROL!

I had to show this post to my wife - I was laughing so hard until she said that it was like something that I would do - and she is probably right!

I thought the comment about needing the generator for powering them was very funny!

GEE my wife said that you should hitch up the genny and bring the rig up to Chelsea for the Christmas Light Parade in town - can just imagine what we could wire up off of that!

Did a similar switch panel (pushbuttons) way back 20 years ago on a 53 Studebaker Deuce out of a 4 foot 4x4 raintight trough.

Really sad thing is that I see quite a few things in your pictures that I have kicking around the shop here - and I am getting too many dangerous ideas!

I guess we two really do like what we do for a living.

Got some Trucklite LED Work/Route lights that I may be wiring in a similar fashion on a couple of our trucks. Let me know how the DIN rails hold onto the ice cube relays over the road.

Dave

212sparky

I agree, lose the unistrut! A fist class job needs fist class materials. Then fix the bumper!

Rick

The strut is out. I got a piece of Aluminum Angle, .5" thick with 2" flange. I have it panted and drilled ready to install. I just have to finish the harness for the lights on it and finish the install tomorrow if the weather holds out then pictures and final video of all the lights at night.

212sparky

Hey Sparky ---

From one fuse puller to the next - YOU ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF CONTROL!

I had to show this post to my wife - I was laughing so hard until she said that it was like something that I would do - and she is probably right!

I thought the comment about needing the generator for powering them was very funny!

GEE my wife said that you should hitch up the genny and bring the rig up to Chelsea for the Christmas Light Parade in town - can just imagine what we could wire up off of that!

Did a similar switch panel (pushbuttons) way back 20 years ago on a 53 Studebaker Deuce out of a 4 foot 4x4 raintight trough.

Really sad thing is that I see quite a few things in your pictures that I have kicking around the shop here - and I am getting too many dangerous ideas!

I guess we two really do like what we do for a living.

Got some Trucklite LED Work/Route lights that I may be wiring in a similar fashion on a couple of our trucks. Let me know how the DIN rails hold onto the ice cube relays over the road.

Dave

So far the Din rail is holding up well. i have 4 screws in it holding it in place. i drove it to work today and one of our older journeyman was drooling over every thing i put in it. He used to be in the navy and was on a submarine.

i love my job, I am the youngest Foreman our company has had. It is a challenge being in charge of the guys that i was an apprentice for. I have a mountain of parts sitting in storage for my MEP 004, that will be the next phase once the truck is 100% done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks