• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at 923's

Brian

I have looked at the 2-1/2 & 5 ton trucks off and on for a while. Even bid on some, but without success. I've again started looking and have noticed more 900 series trucks now. I like the 923's. I there anything in particular I should look for and how reliable are they? I may wind up trying to pick one up. :shock:

DUECE-COUPE

any 900 that is an A2 has the bigger turbo motor, and the CTIS system as well as the super single tires and wheels. after that, then a winch and a hard top are next on the list of want to haves. if you find one with all that, you have found a diamond in the rough, and it will be the platform for a great truck

Bighurt

I have looked at the 2-1/2 & 5 ton trucks off and on for a while. Even bid on some, but without success. I've again started looking and have noticed more 900 series trucks now. I like the 923's. I there anything in particular I should look for and how reliable are they? I may wind up trying to pick one up. :shock:
I don't see in your question where you asked about license and registration. However since it was mentioned I'd suggest taking a look at your states registration and licensing requirements.

You didn't mention where you were looking, GL, truck dealer, or private party.

Your best bet would be a dealer or private party. At least then you have some sort of history, and in most cases can drive, inspect and stew over a particular truck. Not all of that is possible with GL.

As far as inspection I would download the manual either from the resources here or liberated manuals, and print the inspection checklists. Use that in your inspection. Look for things rusted, loose, bent, broken and missing items. Note those items on the checklist.

After inspection which should include fluid levels, and belt tension inspection. Ask to operate the truck or at a minimum start, and run until it reaches operating temperature.

Listen during the start up, and run. Things to pay attention to are hissing air and abnormal engine noise. The NHC-250 has a familiar engine rythem, there are inspection videos produced by the army on the M939 trucks. A set of three in fact, and can be found on you tube. These are very helpful to the new operator and will at the very least let you hear the engine run how it's supposed to sound.

If you can operate the vehicle, ensure the tire pressure is correct on all positions. Listen and feel how the truck operates. Loud pops, growns and squeals aren't normal and should be noted and investigated.

Things that would be a concern to me are worn tires, cracked belts, lots of rust and missing parts.

Aside from requiring very big tools they are pretty easy to work on, for the most part.

Westex

The 1997 model 923 which I own is 21,750 pounds empty on the data plate. Depending on how one titles one's vehicle in Texas, regardless of full air brakes, as long as one is not engaged in a 'commercial enterprise', then you do not need a cdl to drive said 923. Sorry for the compound sentence.

Brian

Thanks to everyone. Not 100% sure about the CDL but I drive a Kenworth straight truck with air brakes and don't have a CDL. I'll look into it.

There are two 923's on GL in Portsmouth, VA that's right around the corner. I'm going to try to check them out.

I'm trying to educate myself on this so I don't purchase one and wish I'd purchased another. I've seen some with the single rear wheels, and some with the dual. I'll likely be driving it on the beach in the outer banks and thought that the singles would do better...???

How hard would it be to find a hard top if I got a truck without?

mxbrian87

I did a ton of digging on the subject and asked 10 people, and got 10 different answers before I bought mine. I titled mine under 26,000# (used a very knowledgable/ reputable title service to do the leg work for me) and it's registered/used as a private and collectors vehicle only. There is an exception in CDL mandates for airbrakes and military/collectors/ recreational vehicles as long as you are going to an event or taking the truck in for service.... my 923 goes to a lot of "shows" 8) I also took the time to read and understand the CDL training guides out there on operating/servicing/inspecting air brakes because license or not you still don't want to run over a family in a Prius because there's a leak in the system somewhere.

These trucks fall into a grey area.... if your driving like you know what your doing and operate the truck responsibly.... you'll be fine-- If your hopping curbs and smashing through stuff in something almost 5X the size of a normal car... your going to have problems.

jstier

How hard would it be to find a hard top if I got a truck without?

Not super hard too find, But not cheap either best price I've ssen for a hard top was $700 + shipping.

I am always looking for one for my truck. The soft top does work pretty well though and less than half for a brand new one.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also took the time to read and understand the CDL training guides out there on operating/servicing/inspecting air brakes because license or not you still don't want to run over a family in a Prius because there's a leak in the system somewhere.
In an air leak scenario don't the brakes fail safe like an OTR truck? Hence the need to cage the brakes if no air.

Brian

How would a 923 do on the road for 3 to 4 hours? Not as much worried about the ride and milage as reliablity.

Bighurt

How would a 923 do on the road for 3 to 4 hours? Not as much worried about the ride and milage as reliablity.
It's like a big pick-up but you are eye to eye with the big rigs. Way better than a duece ad about equal to the M915. Seat could be better, and if the heater don't work it sucks in winter.

Aside from that it's easy going. Loud you can't talk on a cell phone and hear anything the other person is saying at 55 mph. I have a soft top though.

If PMCS have been accomplished they are just a reliable as a new car.

Mileage is a little under 6 mpg, my average doing 55 empty for 16 hrs.

joeM62

I'm wondering the difference in between the 250 and the 400 in the 900 5ton trucks been seeing some more with the 400 in them differences like mpg, cruising speed and power I don't know if anybody has ask this question between the two engines in this truck.

Bighurt

There are no 5 tons with the 400. The 400 comes in the 14 ton tractor and up...M915, 916 and 920, and there equivalent drop numbers.

However between my M915 and M925, I get the same mileage and cruising speed. M915 has a bit more get up, but eh M925 has 6 wheel drive.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with Mark (EMMADO 22). The M939A1s are the best buy. They tend to be cheaper than the A2s and you get super singles (higher road speed and more beefy looking).

Bighurt

I concur with Mark (EMMADO 22). The M939A1s are the best buy. They tend to be cheaper than the A2s and you get super singles (higher road speed and more beefy looking).
I think that's highly subjective. I can equip my M925 with super singles for less than a M925A1 goes for. Not to mention I got 10 brand new tires on the truck already so I can spread the super-single cost out a few years.

But if you are simply comparing A1's to A2's...A1's are the better deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks