• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at an 802A with 4000 hours

Guyfang

Staff member
On my 3rd week of shingles here. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
I hope it gets better soon. Never had them, but lots of people around here have. I don't think liberal dosage of Fine Spirits would help, but would self medicate anyway. This flu crap was bad enough. I have not been this sick in the last 30 years or longer. Get better soon.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you guys feel better soon. I was down for a week at the end of January. Not fun at all. This season has been a real killer. Take care of yourself.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get over the shingles get the shingles shot! I had them after my last bout with cancer and they about drove me crazy for two months. Went around my half of my back, under my arms, up my neck and then went across my forehead. My father had them over and over and it really messed him up. I got the shot after that and have not had them again! Best of luck, know your pain. FYI, anyone that had chickenpox has the virus and it can easily come back with a weak immune system in the form of shingles. Get the shot! This crap is painful

csheath

When you get over the shingles get the shingles shot! I had them after my last bout with cancer and they about drove me crazy for two months. Went around my half of my back, under my arms, up my neck and then went across my forehead. My father had them over and over and it really messed him up. I got the shot after that and have not had them again! Best of luck, know your pain. FYI, anyone that had chickenpox has the virus and it can easily come back with a weak immune system in the form of shingles. Get the shot! This crap is painful
Had the vaccine in 2012.

Sorry to OP for the highjack.

Back to the regularly scheduled program :)

dav5

Had the vaccine in 2012.

Sorry to OP for the highjack.

Back to the regularly scheduled program :)
The shingles vaccine is only 51% effective but still better than no vaccine. A new vaccine is on the horizon that is 90% effective. I hope you guys get better soon.

justacitizen

been looking for mods and things to look out for on the 802A just to get familiar. i haven't had a chance to open it up yet to see how up to date it is. i was reading up on the MOV mod and need to know the spec on the MOV so i can order one. any specifics i need to know before i shop??? i also don't know if the fuse has been added to the VR or not yet. anything else i need to check???

jamawieb

been looking for mods and things to look out for on the 802A just to get familiar. i haven't had a chance to open it up yet to see how up to date it is. i was reading up on the MOV mod and need to know the spec on the MOV so i can order one. any specifics i need to know before i shop??? i also don't know if the fuse has been added to the VR or not yet. anything else i need to check???
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?148791-MEP-802-and-803-Main-generator-tip The link will answer your questions.

justacitizen

OK i finally got the new gen with over 4000 hours and have briefly examined it. i am going to nickname it virgin "cause it aint". it hasn't been reset it needs the quad mod done and has plenty of nicks and dents but nothing terrible. it appears a battery has exploded sometime in the past because there is some acid residue in the bottom and some corrosion on the governor side of the engine. other than cosmetic and the corrosion it starts runs and makes power. i haven't put a load on it yet though. if i can fig out pics i will put some on here. i want to wash the inside with something that will neutralize any residual acid but not affect the electric connections. does anyone have any advice??? i was considering ballistol.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK i finally got the new gen with over 4000 hours and have briefly examined it. i am going to nickname it virgin "cause it aint". it hasn't been reset it needs the quad mod done and has plenty of nicks and dents but nothing terrible. it appears a battery has exploded sometime in the past because there is some acid residue in the bottom and some corrosion on the governor side of the engine. other than cosmetic and the corrosion it starts runs and makes power. i haven't put a load on it yet though. if i can fig out pics i will put some on here. i want to wash the inside with something that will neutralize any residual acid but not affect the electric connections. does anyone have any advice??? i was considering ballistol.
Baking soda and water solution will rid the corrosion issue. Remove the batteries first and keep it away from them, it will neutralize the acid in them.

For general cleaning of oil residue, Dawn dish soap in small quantity and hot water. Try to avoid the electrical connections if you can, otherwise rinse well with clean hot water and just let it dry well before operating it afterwards.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the "Pay It Forward" section for the MOV....and send me your address and I'll send you the fuse, holder and lead for the mod.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just repaired an 802 that had a bad battery (half the positive post was blown off). Lots of corrosion on the starter. The paint was also off the engine below the starter. I pulled the starter and cleaned the engine and compartment just like you need to do. I also prepped any areas that needed to be repainted with PREP from Eastwood. I then primed with 2000 degree primer and applied Stove Bright Forrest Green 1200 degree paint. I made new wiring for the battery and slave to the starter and also replaced any corroded starter wiring ring terminals. Once done, I put on a new starter and she looked great again. Thank goodness nothing else was wrong with the starter circuits. Another day in paradise.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal. Corrosion can creep/wick into the cables and dissolve the copper over time setting up a high resistance which leads to lower voltage and higher current draw in the circuit.

Thanks for the recommendations on the primer and paint. Looking to doing a little touch up on my set in the near future when things dry out a bit here.:goodjob:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks