• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying a deuce and I have a couple questions

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the world of deuces! I hope you find a good one. Even though you're passing on this one, I did have a few comments:

Look like Goodyear's
I disagree, those look like Michelin XLs. Michelin XL's have that tread pattern. If I had to do a wild guess, I'd say 15.5/80R20 Michelin XL (~46.5" tires). Example:
http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/21/728/15.580R20-Michelin-XL-Tire-90-plus

I also agree with the square pipe blocked suspension on the rear axles not looking safe.

Attached: Picture of winch shear pin under my truck
Is that a shear pin or bolt?
Definitely a bolt. As far as I understand, the M35 shear pin is typically made of aluminum and is held in by cotter pins on either end.
Example:
http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/products/m35a2-correct-winch-shear-pin-7538740

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If cheap enough, it's worth pursuing.

Unless you see the winch working assume it doesn't. Value zero. If you see it work, value is $700ish.

So far you see a running engine and a functional transmission and transfer.

The bob job is suspect, which drops the value, conceivably as low as scrap steel price.

I see a conservative $2000 in value.

The thing about bobbers is that if done wrong it ruins a truck. Either get one from someone you know is reputable, or start with a stock truck and have it done by someone reputable or do it right yourself.

dilligaf13

I can't tell by the picture but it appears that there are no bolts on the underside of that spring hanger. This would explain the crack in the bracket as the torque to the rear end will tear that hanger to pieces, if it's not properly bolted down...

CUCVLOVER

I can't tell by the picture but it appears that there are no bolts on the underside of that spring hanger. This would explain the crack in the bracket as the torque to the rear end will tear that hanger to pieces, if it's not properly bolted down...
You are correct.
I think that the hangers should be full weld all the way around but I like weld of bolts.

Akicita

I posted a picture of a shear bolt earlier but called it a shear pin. I just enlarged that particular photo and see now that it shows a bolt with nut. I apologize for that mistake, didn't want to mislead anyone, just didn't see the bolt and nut in that little picture and assumed the picture showed the pin. Both bolt and pin serve the same purpose but, obviously, there is a difference. Sorry, guys.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Akicita, I didn't know that there were bolts designed to do the same thing. Do you know what kind of shear bolts will fail at the same point the shear pins would have? Perhaps it can be a cheaper option than $8-$10 ea that most vendors ask for the pins.

Akicita

Thanks Akicita, I didn't know that there were bolts designed to do the same thing. Do you know what kind of shear bolts will fail at the same point the shear pins would have? Perhaps it can be a cheaper option than $8-$10 ea that most vendors ask for the pins.
I can think of a lot of cheaper options but don't use any of them. That old rod or nail or bolt that you find lying around that you think costs you nothing is going to cost you plenty when the winch breaks.

Understand the idea behind the shear pin or shear bolt. The weakest link in a chain is the link that breaks. If you think of the winch and all the things that are connected to it as a chain, the shear pin/bolt is supposed to be that weakest link. So, you damage a pin or bolt you can replace for 10 bucks.

If your replacement doesn't break, then another component of the chain breaks. Winch parts are expensive and take a lot more time to replace than pushing a pin into a hole.

I appreciate you want to save your money. I'm about a million short of becoming a millionaire myself and I gladly spend 8, 9, 10 bucks on a part that helps me save hundreds or more.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can think of a lot of cheaper options but don't use any of them. That old rod or nail or bolt that you find lying around that you think costs you nothing is going to cost you plenty when the winch breaks.

Understand the idea behind the shear pin or shear bolt. The weakest link in a chain is the link that breaks. If you think of the winch and all the things that are connected to it as a chain, the shear pin/bolt is supposed to be that weakest link. So, you damage a pin or bolt you can replace for 10 bucks.

If your replacement doesn't break, then another component of the chain breaks. Winch parts are expensive and take a lot more time to replace than pushing a pin into a hole.

I appreciate you want to save your money. I'm about a million short of becoming a millionaire myself and I gladly spend 8, 9, 10 bucks on a part that helps me save hundreds or more.
I could not agree more!

So, CUCVLOVER, do you have any more deuce options for us to talk you out of? :lol:

Al Harvey

Well CUCVLOVER, since you said you and your dad do fab work. You will probably be better off in the long run getting a stock truck and then bobbing it yourself. There is a wealth of information on here to guide you and common mistakes to avoid. Then again you might get a stock one and love keeping it stock. Which then will lead to you needing a second truck to bob. This is how it starts. LOL

CUCVLOVER

I could not agree more!

So, CUCVLOVER, do you have any more deuce options for us to talk you out of? :lol:
Give me a few days I'll find another.

Also harvey:

That's what I wanted to do.
My dad didn't really understand when I told he that green is a herd animal and you can't have just one. He kind of just rolled his eyes and looked at me like "what you talkin' bout Wills".

I don't think his blood is green yet, maybe there is still hope.
But do know one way to make home green iron lover, my kids are going to love it, so maybe he will to.

Al Harvey

The schedule here is busy, but I saw you've been around Paris landing some. I'm just up the road from there in Dover and can meet you one day if you wanna check out my deuce.

rustystud

My dad didn't really understand when I told he that green is a herd animal and you can't have just one. He kind of just rolled his eyes and looked at me like "what you talkin' bout Wills".
I think I will steal that saying of yours ! That is very funny , "Herd animals" !!! Maybe it will work on my wife ! ? :shrugs:

Last edited by a moderator:

CUCVLOVER

I think I will steal that saying of yours ! That is very funny , "Herd animals" !!! Maybe it will work on my wife ! ? :shrugs:
Ha-ha.
I told him, I said green steel is a herd animal, you can not have just one. He wants me to pick out a bobbed one, instead of a full size one. I said ok we get a bobbed drive it for a year or so then get a full sized then one day a 5ton, maybe a unimog or 2 and couple more cucvs. Im not sure he see's my vision.
I'm going to tell him that green is herd creature and if its keep alone and never used it will get depressed (constantly dead batts and flat tires), it will cry (window rubber will rot and more oil leaks will pop up), all the crying will cause major acne( rust) and peeling paint.

Do guys think he will believe me?

Last edited by a moderator:

rustystud

Ha-ha.
I told him, I said green steel is a herd animal, you can not have just one. He wants me to pick out a bobbed one, instead of a full size one. I said ok we get a bobbed drive it for a year or so then get a full sized then one day a 5ton, maybe a unimog or 2 and couple more cucvs. Im not sure he see's my vision.
I'm going to tell him that green is herd creature and if its keep alone and never used it will get depressed (constantly dead batts and flat tires), it will cry (window rubber will rot and more oil leaks will pop up), all the crying will cause major acne( rust) and peeling paint.

I think it's worth a shot !

BnaditCorps

Ha-ha.

Hahahahahaha go for it

CUCVLOVER

I'm going to as soon as the time presents itself.

I think we need a thread with tips and tricks to help con, talk into or whatever our (in my case) dad, or other half to let you get a MV.
I know if it was my wife (don't have one) conplaining about me getting one I would buy 2.