• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at getting a Deuce, how much did you get yours for?

Ugg013

Hi Lee:

I had posted a sorta novel about my experience getting the Frog (and how it got that name) here a while ago, but to make a long story even longer, I almost ended up in the stockade over at Portsmouth because of the Rent A Cops there :evil: . I wasn't even allowed on base, but snuck in with the tow truck driver :twisted: (so much for Rent A Cop security). The site manager with GL was cool about it though and actually offered help so I didn't lose my truck completely.

Later
Ugg 8)

houdel

Yes, I recall reading you thread about your experiences getting the "Frog" home. Amusing to me, not very funny to you. Did you ever replace that blue tarp with a decent cab cover? As I mentioned above, some of the GL Site Managers are real pricks, some could give a s**t less! Mine was only concerned with getting back to his warm, comfy office.

Ugg013

Hi Lee:

In retrospect I can laugh now. At the time, it coulda gotten REAL serious. :evil: Oh yeah, got a new top, replaced the windshield and seals around it. I really don't want to get rid of it. Even the wife (although she's STILL pissed I didn't discuss getting with her 1st) said she doesn't want to see it go as we won't be able to repace it unless we spend big bucks. H e l l, it's in better shape than any deuce I drove while in. :lol: The VA Nat'l Guard took real good care of it. Oh well, considering who my birth father is.... :(

Later
Ugg 8)

Attachments

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: duece cost

poppop said:
They have changed that somewhat. You get no SF 97 with the truck. When you get it home have any police officer complete a form T 22-B on the truck. Then you download an SF 97 request form from GL's site and send it in with the T 22-B and I think $65.00 and they will send it to you. You can get the T 22-b from your local tag office or I can fax you one if you send me a fax number. Every vehicle I have gotten from the government even with an SF 97, my tag office still required the T 22-B before they would apply for a title.

FedX just pulled in the drive to deliver my Sf 97 from GL as I read this thread. Thats a coincidence.

houdel

RE: Re: RE: duece cost

Ugg - Yeah, you story as written was pretty scary. Mine was pretty scary too, but I only had 230 miles to get home. I bought a GL truck on a wish and a prayer, never previewed it, was fortunate enough to find an AFNG base mechanic with M35 experience to check out the truck AFTER I bought it, was lucky enough that the only problem was one battery with one bad cell. Oddly enough, it had nearly a full tank of diesel, I drove all the way home on Gov't diesel, it ran out of fuel about 200' up my 300' long driveway!

GoHot229

I was looking in Ebay after seeing a Baby J site where they convert and Bob in different configurations. That led to seeing a couple Bobbers on Ebay, which led to the old forum we had in 08, man has it been that long? So I put an ad in clasifieds under trade and offered my Bike for a Deuce. In about 3 weeks a Fella named Ryan called and we looked over each others stuff and traded. I admit, my Bike might have been worth $3500 or so, as low as $2500 in the worst case. Were I to do it again, I dont know if I would have found the deal I did, this Deuce is pretty sound and in Good Cond. overall

Attachments

hood297

Paid 1549 before the GL premium and taxes. around 1700 after. 1970-1 M35A1 with CARC in 97. Small amount of SURFACE rust on bed. Had no brakes so me, Wreckerman, and Frieghtrain (thanks guys) replaced the rubber brake line, and bled them out and now they are fine. (also gave me a chance to switch to DOT 3). Changed out fuel filters and added fresh diesel, and new batteries and it made the trip home about 400 miles with out an issue. now it does leak a little oil and transfer case fluid, but 10 bucks worth of seals fixed that issue. has an LDT-465 non whistler.

scottc

Both from GL, 74 was 2200, 71 was 1100, got lucky both trucks were in running condition, needed batteries and thats about it. Had them both shipped. The added cost sucked but made for headache free and safe recoveries. The 74 also needed an alternator which a buddy of mine just happened to have laying around in a junk pile. Cosmetically the 74 is in great condition, the 71 needs a little work.

jblack6527

I picked mine up for $1945 before the 10% premium. Went to Montgomery AL, picked it up, and drove it 400 miles back home with no work other than filling it up with diesel. Since then, I've put a heater motor, light switch, and turn signal switch in it. Had 1811 miles on a 1986 rebuild. It's over 3000 now :)

Attachments

bambambam22

I can not find where to put this for sure so if it is in the wrong place please tell me where to put it. Thank God I found this site, I am just beginning to learn and try to buy a 6X6 and I would welcome any information anyone would be willing to teach me. I want a 6x6 for hunting and camping and driving around turning heads. If anyone would be able to tell me which one would be the best to try and purchase I would be grateful. 1. First what is the difference in these and others that are not listed here Kaiser-Jeep, AM General, GMC M135? 2. Is there a best one to look for? 3. One with a winch is a good thing, right? 4. Can I get tubeless tires and NON split rim wheels? 5. Why are there so many for sale? 6. I found the government liquidation site that you have on the left side of your web site and they require an End User Certificate and approval to purchase is this normal? 7. Is there any hidden costs to buying from a site like this like a huge tax? 8. There just seams to be some kind of something that I don’t know about that bites you in the behind after you buy one of these trucks since they seam to be so cheap for what you get. I am sorry for so many questions but the auction is 5/19-5/21 and I have to learn as much as I can as fast as I can and I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can share. 9. Are they as much fun as they look? 10. Why would I want to display my birth date? First thought is it is not a very good idea. 11. Did I put this in the right place if not can you tell me where to put this message? Thank you for any help!!!

dabtl

I found a sleeper M35a2c at Hooks last year. Less than $1200 including the buying premium.

We jumped it off, drove it 150 miles in the rain. Three short rides later the brakes quit. No brake fluid in the MC, apparently.

We got lucky. We might not have.

You pay your nickel and takes the chance. Personally, I would NOW check all the fluids before driving.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks