• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at purchasing a mep generator online

psu927

Im in the research stage and have a few questions. I plan on purchasing through governmentsurplus and have been looking at the different models. I narrowed what I want to an MEP-002a or MEP-802a. It seems like the older JR Hollingsworth models fetch more money than the newer libby and fermont models and I was wondering why. Whats the basics to know on these models? Its not going to be economical for me to preview the generator before I purchase it, so I will be rolling the dice so to speak but what can I look for in pictures? Mechanically I can work on them just fine, and I have a good electrical background but where is a good source for parts for these generators? As well as a good price range for the different models. I appreciate it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking to purchase from a individual or from government surplus?

If it's from government surplus I'd strongly recommend you preview before you buy and either take somebody with you that knows about these generators or get educated yourself.

From what I've noticed, GL prices are all over the board. I picked up a decent MEP-003 awhile back for $700 that only needed minor things to get going. I haven't seen one sell that cheap since with most in the $1K to $2K range around here lately.

Some NOS parts are getting hard to find and expensive but there is a market emerging of aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

psu927

From GS. I know of a 002 coming up I may be able to look at but I am willing to roll the dice If I cant. Basic things to look for?

psu927

There is a large lot of 802A's coming up as well. Thought about purchasing 2 of them but I don't know much about them, such as if the parts from the different ones (fermont, libby, etc...) are interchangeable.

roofconsult

I bought a pair of trailer mounted MEP002A's last summer for $1669. Charged the batteries and they both cranked and made juice. Two things I looked for: Mine had been reset at the Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) and one had 12 hours on it and the other 13. They put a tag on them when they are reset. The only way that I could see the tag was to watch the GL video fram by frame. Both generators had both been serviced and I did not have to do anything to them. The other thing was that I looked for ones with batteries. I figured if it had batteries then maybe that would say something about the running condition.
But beware, when you buy from GL you play by their rules and there is absolutely no guarantee of anything.

Isaac-1

As the other's have said GL is a dice roll, and they take no responsibility for anything, they don't even promise that the photos are of the unit in the listing, although they try to not get them mixed up, it does happen, it is not uncommon to find a wrong picture mixed in, like a plain green MEP mixed in with a set of green camo pattern MEP's, or two hour meter photos showing different run hours. While the inspection is a good idea, personally I tend to bid based on photos even when getting stuff from the GL site 10 miles away, I know this will bite me sooner or later, and I have bought a couple of paperweights, but so far they are things previewing would not have shown. I carefully examine the photos before I bid, look for missing parts, signs things have been taken apart and not put all the way back together, etc. So far I am 100% on generators, and other engine powered equipment that I have bought from GL, but almost all have needed some work. As has already been mentioned, prices can be all over the place, I paid $400 for a MEP-002a about 18 months ago, and $1050 for a MEP-003a last summer, which is below average, I was in no rush, and bid multiple times over several months to get them at those prices, neither one was a fresh rebuild with one showing about 800 hours and the other about 2,000, but neither was a basket case either. The better of the two condition wise is likely the MEP-002a as it appeared to be freshly serviced had brand new fuel filters, fuel tank and starter, the only problem was it had a dead AC voltage regulator (needed a $5 transistor replaced), it is also a bit of an ugly duckling, with a poorly done brushed on CARC camo paint job. AS to the insanity in pricing a few months ago I watched on lot of generators nearby go for truly insane prices with one average looking MEP-002a going for over $4,000, that is 10 times what I paid for mine, and another going for $2,900, remember these were as is on GL, which is insane when you consider you can typically buy running used MEP-002a's on ebay for under $2,000 any day of the week.

Ike

p.s. on the MEP-002a / MEP-003a it makes no difference if they are Libby, Hollingsworth or Onan, chances are unless you luck into one that has been in storage for the last few decades that it is really a mix and match machine that has been through the rebuild process multiple times and the data plate is just what happened to be on the side of the control box that was used in the rebuild. Oh do watch out, I saw one MEP-002a sell at a high price near here that was advertised as a MEP-003a and had a MEP-003a data plate, but clearly only 2 cylinder MEP-002a engine. (we have had at least one board member that bought a MEP-002a and discovered it was connected to a MEP-003a 10KW generator end also).

Last edited:

psu927

Whats with the Hollingsworth, libby, and Fermont? To me it just looks like different paint but the Hollingsworth seem to fetch more $$$

Jimc

manufacturer makes no difference as to dollar amt that these go for. what your seeing is just coincidence or regional differences in what the generators are going for. there are no real differences between the gen sets.

Isaac-1

This is the contractor that had the assembly contract, I am not sure if there are other differences on the MEP-802a, but on the MEP-002a and MEP-003a they were built from the same parts, however the parts themselves have have been different revisions over the years. With this series it was a big enough mess that there was a major federal lawsuit involved. The short version goes something like this, Onan built the original MEP-002a and MEP-003a and it is powered by a militarized version on an Onan engine, they had the original production contract, then when it was up for renewal even though Onan was the low bidder Hollingsworth was awarded the contract under a disadvantaged small business program, Onan was then forced to sell the parts to build the generators to Hollingsworth at certain contract fixed prices, Hollingsworth then assembled the generators and sold them to the military, upon the next contract renewal the contract bid went to Libby Welding which is the company built the generator ends on the MEP-002a and MEP-003a, by this time Onan and Libby had some sort of arrangement (Onan may have owned Libby at this point, I am not sure). These 3 account for the vast majority of MEP-002a and MEP-003a's listed on GL, all of these were built before 1994 when Onan stopped building the J series engines, there are however some newer 21st century build date MEP-002a and MEP-003a generators made by other companies, it is suspected that these were built from NOS spare parts that the military had on hand.

Ike

psu927

Thanks for that Isaac good to know this history behind them. You sure do know your stuff with these things.

oliveone

MEP 802 and MEP 803 are both run on Onan 2 cylinder & 4 cylinder engines. Parts can be gotten from Lister Petter or Cummings Onan. Starters are 24 volts so that could be an issue as that is not standard for civilian models. Have seen both engines go over 2500 hour with no issue at all. Some on GL have over 5000-7000 hours on them. Lister Petter has a 5 year 5000 hour warranty on new engines. A 3 cylinder Lister Petter engine sells for $3500 on ebay. Buying from GL is a roll of the dice but if you can work on the generator and get it for a good price you will be happy with a 802 or 803.

I just got a MEP 803a with 8 hours on it. Trickle charged batteries and generator is running and producing power. Yes I paid top dollar but not as much as the 3 cylinder engine LOL.

Manuals for both generators are easy to find on line for free.

One thing to look at is low hours and exhaust manifold for signs of wet slaking or if the paint is still green on most of it. Mine had a little wet slack on the inside before muffler, was gone after 30 minutes of running with 80% load.

good luck

Last edited:

psu927

As far as the 24v charging issue, I guess a work around for that could be just to use a regular trickle charger on it. Or a 120v charger that works off of the generator?

psu927

Well I am the proud owner of a 002. I paid premium price (overpaid) for it but was willing to take the gamble because the shape looks pretty good. Paid 1280 but with 10% added on plus sales tax it will be over 1400 plus fuel to pick it up. If it works it will be more than worth it to me.

Last edited:

roofconsult

Oh that's great. You will get hooked on it. Read the TM before you try to crank it. You would think that you'd want to idle it for a while when first starting, but you can burn up a very expensive voltage regulator board by idling. You are supposed to engage the throttle about halfway, then adjust the throttle to get to 61.5 Hz. You can get all of the TM's right here on this website.
Be sure and write back after you get it going. And let us know how long it takes to quit smiling.

psu927

Where is everyone sourcing their fuel and oil filters? Good online source where I can get everything I need?

Rapracing

Well I am the proud owner of a 003. I paid premium price (overpaid) for it but was willing to take the gamble because the shape looks pretty good. Paid 1280 but with 10% added on plus sales tax it will be over 1400 plus fuel to pick it up. If it works it will be more than worth it to me.
Honestly that is probably below the average for an 003 right now. Congratulations! :beer:

As mentioned read the TM. It will save a lot of questions or at least give you a real good feel for what you're working with.

psu927

Edit 002. (sorry for the mistake)
I would love to have gotten an 003 for that price. This is just to get me started, I would like to get an 003, or 803 in the near future. I will not be paying this much for an 002 any time soon though. Just pray it works out for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks