• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at purchasing a mep generator online

dependable

If it is a good running 002 with reasonably low hours, you did not over pay. If it ends up needing a bunch of work, don't think of it as a bad deal, think of it as a learning opportunity.

psu927

Considering that you can't touch a 5-8 kw diesel generator for anything close to that I don't feel too bad. Supposedly just gone over with a new starter. Hour meter reads 9 hours.

One question I have is, is there a difference between the "tan" mep002's and the "green" mep002's?

Last edited:

storeman

Tan ones were painted to go to or have come from, units with a desert mission, i.e., the middle east. Green paint was either for or from a unit with a european mission or general war reserve.
Jerry [thumbzup]

roofconsult

Where is everyone sourcing their fuel and oil filters? Good online source where I can get everything I need?
If you will look up the part numbers in the TM then google the number and search them on Epay you will find several sources. The local NAPA store is generally a good source for filters, but get the part number first and cross reference it.

Isaac-1

Considering that you can't touch a 5-8 kw diesel generator for anything close to that I don't feel too bad. Supposedly just gone over with a new starter. Hour meter reads 9 hours.

One question I have is, is there a difference between the "tan" mep002's and the "green" mep002's?
Like others have said, tan tends to mean "sand", unfortunately green can mean sand too, my MEP-002a is green, and the control box and cooling fins were full of sand when I bought it.

psu927

Thanks for the help. I figured it was from the middle east but was hoping otherwise. At any rate I will have more questions after I get it and thanks for answering all of my questions.

dangier

Amazon is a good source for filters. Good luck with your purchase. These things are pretty rugged. I started with 002's and stayed with them (3!).
David

Ray70

If you're still looking for filters, I get mine from Rockauto.com They are about $5 for the Fram CH-6PL oil filters and maybe $7 for the C1125 PL fuel filters.
As for price, The price of -003a's and -002a's is abnormally high right now, so you probably paid a little more, but if you want it now, you have to pay the going rate. Seeing these high prices makes me feel very good about what I paid for the units I bought about 9 months ago!
If you take your time and be patient you can still get a really good deal, but it takes patients. Good luck with your machine, you're gonna love it!

psu927

Yeah I plan on tinkering with this one with the plan of getting another one when I find a good deal. T

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpyrobb also has filters and housings for sale on here that will work on the MEPs. The one in my barn has a set on it.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpyrobb also has filters and housings for sale on here that will work on the MEPs. The one in my barn has a set on it.
Yup, I've got enough of his fuel filters and mounts to convert both of mine over as soon as the warm weather hits. The spin on fuel filters combined with my spin-on oil filter adapters sure makes short work of necessary service intervals.

psu927

WEll I went and got her and I am pretty happy. Tier 2 reset in 07 and only 9 hours since the reset (if the gauge is correct). Good compression and whoever drained the fluids took care to put everything back and tape all openings (and battery terminals). Also wrote "no filters" on all of the canisters. Hasa brand new starter and has a new air filter. Fuel tank looks pretty good with minimal gunk.

psu927

And I am hoping this is a good thing but under the main wiring connection panel it says "load tested march 2013".

Isaac-1

It is at least a good sign that it ran recently, so the injection pump is probably not seized up, sounds like time to put fluids, and filters on it and fire it up.

psu927

This is a totally newb. ? but does the paper (cardboard) on the fram ch6pl filter supposed to be removed prior to installation? Seems like a really dumb question but I never ran into this before.

EDIT.....After reading through the TM I see that I am missing the spring, retainer, and gasket out of the oil filter housing. I guess I need to find replacement or get a spin on adapter?

Last edited:

10Lugger

This is a totally newb. ? but does the paper (cardboard) on the fram ch6pl filter supposed to be removed prior to installation? Seems like a really dumb question but I never ran into this before.

EDIT.....After reading through the TM I see that I am missing the spring, retainer, and gasket out of the oil filter housing. I guess I need to find replacement or get a spin on adapter?

Sounds like you bought from the same batch I did. We picked up ours, and after a like work replacing the consumables plus a little extra, it runs. Let me know if you source a spin on adapter to take the place the secondary filter. Enjoy

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Replacements (used parts) are out there, but I have no idea how much they would cost you. I can hook you up with the spin-on filter adapter though, if you decide to go that route.

Sounds like you bought from the same batch I did. We picked up ours, and after a like work replacing the consumables plus a little extra, it runs. Let me know if you source a spin on adapter to take the place the secondary filter. Enjoy
PM Gimpyrobb, he has a fantastic deal on water trap fuel fiters and mounting heads that are a great replacement for the OEM filters of the 002a and 003a. I have them on hand and am just waiting for warmer weather to install them. I know he has done it to his generator already though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks