• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a 2nd spare tire location...

AZK9

Ok, my original suggestion was going to be, "the spare is the last thing you load in the bed".
Yup... that's exactly what we're planning to do.

I wish I had more time to get things done, but where I am working on the deuce in South Jersey, the rain
has been keeping me from 'progress' for the better part of the past two weeks.

I've got a few creative ideas that should be effective, but they will have to wait until I'm back in AZ. If I had
an indoor facility to work on things... I'd probably still be able to build something functional and safe, but in
my current situation... it's the weather that controls everything.

rustystud

Departure angle....
The pictures are deceptive. The distance from the ground to the tire is over 18" . Remember this is towed by the deuce and that long "A" arm to the Lunette is over 4ft long. So there is no departure angle to worry about. Plus it is above the Axle center line. That is the deciding factor in all trailers.
Or where you talking about the rear truck mount tire carrier ? In which case "never mind :D ! "

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pictures are deceptive. The distance from the ground to the tire is over 18" . Remember this is towed by the deuce and that long "A" arm to the Lunate is over 4ft long. So there is NO departure angle to worry about. Plus it is above the Axle center line. That is the deciding factor in all trailers.
Yeah, but he is contemplating doing something similar to his truck....

AZK9

Yeah, but he is contemplating doing something similar to his truck....
Well, I was... but given the negatives, I'm now developing other options (like dropping the idea completely). ;)

I figured out you where talking about the rear tire mount after I posted. That would seriously reduce departure angle !
I appreciate all the posts and ideas. [thumbzup]

M35 deuce-specs-001.jpg This image explains a lot.

The departure angle (with the spare mounted in the rear under the tailgate line) is something to focus on for sure, but
my initial thinking was that it might have presented 'less of a problem' during paved, highway travel than offroad driving.
I was never going to keep a spare mounted there in an 'everyday', or planned offroad situation. Just on this long trip west.

I'll figure things out as my situation (time/weather/tools/materials/etc.) require. I suppose since I've already experienced flat tire
issues driving the deuce... I'm trying to do my best to avoid a bad situation happening somewhere in the middle of nowhere! :mrgreen:

I've been trying to find a good, additional location for a spare tire on my 1970 M35A2.
... Today I came across the deuce photo below. It's the first M35A2 I've seen with the spare
mounted in that location.

View attachment 621187 ...
BTW... in the photo above, the tire is mounted out too far off the tailgate line. There is, however, enough space up in that area to mount a 'spare winch' so that it does not stick out quite as much. So... although the 'departure angle' is still problematic, it's likely a bit less 'negatively impactful' than the original pic suggests.

Still... probably not a great location (especially when using the original winch as designed).

Ah well... maybe some OTHER great idea will come to me in the nick of time!! :carnac:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't overthink it. You only need it temporarily, it is easy to accomplish, you have no intention of off-roading, it does make for convenient access while the rest of the truck is fully loaded, it is easy to load and unload. They all sound like very good reasons to me. I would add a secondary method of securing the wheel in case of cable failure. 2 cents.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't overthink it. You only need it temporarily, it is easy to accomplish, you have no intention of off-roading, it does make for convenient access while the rest of the truck is fully loaded, it is easy to load and unload. They all sound like very good reasons to me. I would add a secondary method of securing the wheel in case of cable failure. 2 cents.
Check your spare winch, it should be equipped w/a plate that is secured with two lug nuts once the spare is in the stowed position. Cable tension can be relaxed a bit.

AZK9

Don't overthink it. ....
Ha ha!! You sound like my wife and kids!!! They tell me that all the time! rofl

:roll: Still, there's a difference between thinking something out... and... over-thinking.
I hear you though... and... I do agree with what you're saying. Thanks! [thumbzup]

TsgtB

Has anyone mounted a super single spare up under the rear?
The rears are further apart and the spare could be moved forward. (not a hijack just asking)

AZK9

azk9 if your gona take 80 across pa and run into problems shoot me a pm I will try and help.iam about 30 miles from oh line
Thanks for the offer of help! I think I'll be taking a southern route this trip, but sometimes I do travel across 80. I sometimes
stop in to visit at Slippery Rock. Just a few miles from Grove City! Hey... is the Dog-N-Suds still open and operating up there? :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks