• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Smaller Deuce Steering Wheel

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
BOX ID

it is a saginaw 710 common to many international trucks in the 80's usually can be had for around $150 with pittman arm and draglink both of which you need for this upgrade

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: STEERING

It seems to me that all the spring seat is good for is to give the seat back a running start before it slams into my kidneys.

Autocar

For m-35tom. Isn't the steering box mounted inside the frame rail with the steering column an integral part of the box on the deuce? I see you have a u-joint on the box and I assume you have another one on the steering shaft. What did you do to the steering column to adapt it? Also, what did you do for a power steering pump/mounting/drive belt? Any more details or pictures? Had an M813 5 ton and really liked the steering. Thanks

jatonka

I have a shortened steering column/gearbox in stock right now. It is 3 inches shorter. I am certain that the 800 series steering wheel fits the M35A2 column exactly, from actual experience. Tom, that power steering job looks great. JT

TBigLug

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but, does anyone know exactly how much smaller in diameter tha 800 series steering wheel is compared to the M35?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

5'6.5" inches my M35A2 cab is spacious and roomy.... The only problem I have is reaching the right hand mirror when necessary to adjust it. And Stop Lights I have to duck down to see around the air-motors for the windshield wipers other than that the truck is perfect... But then I am 5'6.5" I could fit into a Smart car still have plenty of leg room.

jatonka

The NSN is 253001 089 9129 for the 800 series smaller steering wheel that will fit right on a Deuce steering column. But you need power steering of one sort or another to turn the wheel. JT out

DUECE-COUPE

the steering wheel on a 900 series 5 ton is 2 in smaller. the m35a3 has the same wheel. if you get a smaller wheel, you will need to get power steering. been there, done that, did the smaller wheel and p/s. if you use the air o matic, you only have to get air supply to the check valve, change the drag link, install the air assist cylinder, and the passenger side lower shock mount, and the hoses to the cylinder. sounds hard, but it is really not. the only thing you have to go to a shop for is the 31 in "U" bolts. i installed it in 4 hours. go to air-o-matic.

HOMER

SOMEBODY makes a kit cause Ive seen aftermarket steering wheels on deuces in pictures on eBay and various sites. But i don't know where there getting them. maybe someone on SS has done one and will swoop in and save the day. sorry i cant help. im still trying to figure out what im going to do my self. good luck

HOMER

Also i have never pulled one but i would think you need to use a puller if you can . Hitting it with that hammer might do some damage

Lex_Ordo

I removed mine because it was cracked everywhere.
What a PIA!
I should have bought the puller from Saturn, but opted not to since I would have only used it once.
However with that said, I bought a wheel from saturn, and it appears to be similar to the duece wheel but it is thinner and is finished in the 383 OD, not 1970's OD.

In order to remove the wheel, I along with a friend mechanic, we used a sawzall, to remove the spokes, and part od the hub, so we coulod get a standard wheel puller around it, and then used a clamp to keep the pullers arms from spreading when tightening down on the spindle.

Hindsight tells me to tell you guys, make it easy, and buy the duece puller.

Mine worked out and the new wheel is tight and turns great, but the labor was way more than it needed to be.

Also while you're at it, change the horn wire and button to the new style. Much nicer, and easy to connect.

WPNS421

I have a smaller steering wheel that comes from a Canadian MLVW M35. I have the wheel and the shaft, I will donate the steering and shaft on the condition that the person who modifies his M35 sends me pictures. The steering wheel is about a lot smaller. PM me, I can get 8 to 10 of these steering wheels. I will try to post pictures tomorrow

HOMER

i have a smaller steering wheel that comes from a canadian mlvw m35. I have the wheel and the shaft, i will donate the steering and shaft on the condition that the person who modifies his m35 sends me pictures. The steering wheel is about a lot smaller. Pm me, i can get 8 to 10 of these steering wheels. I will try to post pictures tomorrow
i don't know i am way down south shipping probably going to be pretty high and i am right in the beginning stages of a m35 shorty tear down so i am not to the little fish yet. But definitly going to have to do something about this steering wheel problem + power steering and i am not convinced i want airomatic or not yet. So keep me informed if you come accross any new ideas and thanks, homer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks