• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a deuce!

greenjeepster

I thought M35's were set up like MACK Diffs. The peanuts in a MACK Diff. work like a governor, and lock at low speed, unlock at high speed.
If it is then it locks front tandem and rear tandem together, not side to side. With a Mack at low speeds the front tandem will spin on one side and the rear will spin on the opposite side; so you have power to both sides of the truck, but only one axle each.

M35Brown

Thanks Greenjeepster for correcting me, I remember the peanuts that lock, and was thinking it was side to side, but now I remember it was front and rear.

plutonium233

Thanks for the information guys. I think I may have found a good deuce around here. I called the guy today and we talked about a lot of the things I asked about. I think I am going to forego the lockers. This guy said that he has an offroad park and has put his deuce to the test, he said that for what I want to do with it its not worth the money. He said that my money might be better spent with a winch. Like I said before, I'm not planning on being too extreme offroad so I think I will be fine without them.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a reconditioned M36A2C W/W, long wheelbase for sale with many extras.

Let me know if you are interested. I'm located just east of Tallahassee, FL if you would like to come take a look.

Thanks,
Orren

Attachments

plutonium233

I think I'm gonna see about buying this one that's closer if its in good shap. If not though, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

greenjeepster

Where you intend to drive it, lockers will be a waste of money. And they are NOT cheap. Also, as said, the deuce engine doesn't have enough HP to turn 6 wheels.

A good way to think about lockers on a deuce rather than comparing to a much stronger, heavier truck is to compare to an actual trail rig.

Take your run of the mill Jeep as an example: Lets not even consider that usually if somebody is building a trail rig out of a jeep that they will usually drop a V8 in it to increase power and torque.

So lets say that you take a 4x4 with a 4.0 L in it and add lockers. The stock 4.0 puts out 247 hp and 240 FT-LBs.

Now compare to putting the same locker into a truck that weighs over 4 times more and has 10 wheels on the ground instead of 4. The HP is less and the torque slightly more than a stock jeep, but the 65 LB increase is far outweighed by the weight of the truck.

jeeper01

As you guys can see I am also new to the forum, I have recently started my endless research on how to find a "good" M35A and how to keep it on the road.

Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking the thread but what would you guys consider the most important things to look for when trying to purchase a deuce?

Thanks!

greenjeepster

I have seen some of the trucks that some people on here drag home. I think for many of us the most important thing is that it kinda sorta is recognizable as an M35A:p

Keeping it running is the easy part, you just continue to buy donor trucks.