• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a M109A3 from GL, any advice?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a M109A3 from GL at Fort Riley. My wife is in the Army and I bought a nice spread about 15 miles from the post in Chapman. I have a huge out building big enough to put 4 or 5 of them in, a couple air compressors and tools. I used to do quite a bit with muscle cars, but have no experience with diesels. I'd like to get an M109A3 and turn it into a camper.

Any advice on what to look for, what to be leery of?

Any members in the Kansas area?

How much of a pain is it getting a title?

I just found this site and really appreciate all the info here!

thanks

David M. Fortier

stampy

I looked for one that starts and runs! I drove mine 300 miles back home the same day!. I brought batteries (2 12v and I needed them). A can for Diesel (needed that too but had to buy one). Tools just in case. I am still waiting on my sr97 title. i would make sure there are no glaring problems like missing parts or bad fluid leaks in the photos. My mechanic said he was shocked how clean mine was. Oh yeah you won't coax much more than 55mph out of her. If you push her at the top of the power band too long it seems to retard the throttle, so just try to stay in the 50-55 mph range. Bring earplugs she is loud at 55 mph. I have purchased a 24 to 12v dc converter off ebay to step down voltage for lights and radios. Lurk and search here and you will find this forum to be a wealth of info. I had three experiences with GL and they have ALL BEEN GOOD! (save me being stupid and buying a 300Hz genset instaed of a 60 hz:roll:)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best thing to do is ask your wife to find a good 63 series guy who used to work on the deuce to go along with you to inspect......... Pizza and Beer is usually a good trade...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Call out there TODAY to get setup to go look at them. They are pretty picky on the days you can inspect. Check out the pictures on the site before you go out there, look close at the under the hood pictures for missing alt, hoses, turbos. Outside for tire wear, spare tire, boarding ladders, heaters, hardtops ,seats and dash that way it will narrow you list down. I take a 2 wheel dolly with 2 fully charged batteries and a little tool kit . They will let you start but not drive, but if you happen to put it in gear and rock it forward then put in reverse to get it back inline, no foul. Stay away from the white one, it has a big hole in box roof, plus it has been on 2 auctions without being picked up. Most also will need the brakes bled. Good luck

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
None of the M109's out there will start, as they have been sitting for 2 years plus and alll of the batteries are way dead.
Call out there TODAY to get setup to go look at them. They are pretty picky on the days you can inspect. Check out the pictures on the site before you go out there, look close at the under the hood pictures for missing alt, hoses, turbos. Outside for tire wear, spare tire, boarding ladders, heaters, hardtops ,seats and dash that way it will narrow you list down. I take a 2 wheel dolly with 2 fully charged batteries and a little tool kit . They will let you start but not drive, but if you happen to put it in gear and rock it forward then put in reverse to get it back inline, no foul. Stay away from the white one, it has a big hole in box roof, plus it has been on 2 auctions without being picked up. Most also will need the brakes bled. Good luck

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Check all fluids, belts and driveline before you put the batteries on. Then turn on the ass switch listen for the intank fuel pump to kick on and the loud low air alarm. Have you buddy that was standing by the fuel tank to listen for the pump, move forward before you hit the red start button, unless you want to cover him with 2 years of ext stack goo! The day we picked ours up 9 of 13 drove out after jumps, 3 were put on semi trailers and were not even tried to start them. My buddies was the only one started that could not drive. Also make sure you can close the back doors of the van. I was wanting to get back out there and check this lot, but won't have time. I was looking to get another for a parts truck. The 109's go quite a bit cheaper that the cargo duce. Also get on top of the cab and check the roof of the box, if the inside of the box has dark little splotches on the green paint chances it's mildew and the box leaks. One more thing if you have time and before you drive one home check fluids in the diff's. I had a buddy that bought a WWII scout car never checked them and was in the middle of a parade when it locked up! No juice in either axle. Somewhere is a good tread on what to bring on recovery besides your camera, on this site you got to put up pictures!!

tsstout

Sounds like lots of good advice... If you need help, let me know.... I'm a frequent flyer there.....

Defintely do the inspections and keep good records of your visits and findings....

They are a blast!!!

Terry

dburt

I spent several years of my childhood growing up in Enterprise, about 5 miles or so from Abilene. Used to love to drive by Ft Riley (Custer's old miltary base), and watch the Cobra choppers flying around, they have a great military museum there too. I wish it was not so far back there, I'd love to have one of those 109's.

2027Deuce

Welcome Aboard! I am about 300 clicks from Riley but I get down there every once in awhile. Maybe we can go recover some together, I have a good M35 I can use to tow or I have a semi if needed. I think you will enjoy working on the deuce, its straight forward for the most part and you can still get anything you need to make it work. I look for good body work and then air shift on the transfer, you can usually see the toggle switch on the picture of the inside of the truck.

Scott

196thprober

Are you THE David Fortier-firearms expert extrordinaire? If so, I have read and admired your articles for years, full of history and great technical information.

Welcome, and it's an honor!

Chuck

Well......yep that's me, but you are too kind. I am glad though that you like my articles, that IS greatly appreciated.

but, it's my honor to be part of this board, and to have a chance to learn from the members here. Lots of great info, this is a great site, I have learned a lot already.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute to it in the future!

Welcome Aboard! I am about 300 clicks from Riley but I get down there every once in awhile. Maybe we can go recover some together, I have a good M35 I can use to tow or I have a semi if needed. I think you will enjoy working on the deuce, its straight forward for the most part and you can still get anything you need to make it work. I look for good body work and then air shift on the transfer, you can usually see the toggle switch on the picture of the inside of the truck.

Scott

Scott,

That sounds like a good time. Would love to go and recover something there together. Maybe I can be of help some time, just let me know. Like I said, I am
only about 15 miles from Exit 301. Helping other people is a quick way to learn too! If I can score an M109A3, I will be sure to pick your brain.

I spent several years of my childhood growing up in Enterprise, about 5 miles or so from Abilene. Used to love to drive by Ft Riley (Custer's old miltary base), and watch the Cobra choppers flying around, they have a great military museum there too. I wish it was not so far back there, I'd love to have one of those 109's.
dburt, Enterprise is right next door! Quiet lil town. Did you hear about the tornado that rolled through Chapman this summer? Took down about 60% of the town. Looks a lot different now, lost all three schools. But there has been a lot of rebuilding. People really pulled together. I live south of town, so luckily my place wasn't touched. But I can remember everyone telling me when I was looking at the place that Chapman would never get hit by a tornado, and that tornados don't cross rivers....this one they said crossed the river 6 times before hitting the town!

Check all fluids, belts and driveline before you put the batteries on. Then turn on the ass switch listen for the intank fuel pump to kick on and the loud low air alarm. Have you buddy that was standing by the fuel tank to listen for the pump, move forward before you hit the red start button, unless you want to cover him with 2 years of ext stack goo! The day we picked ours up 9 of 13 drove out after jumps, 3 were put on semi trailers and were not even tried to start them. My buddies was the only one started that could not drive. Also make sure you can close the back doors of the van. I was wanting to get back out there and check this lot, but won't have time. I was looking to get another for a parts truck. The 109's go quite a bit cheaper that the cargo duce. Also get on top of the cab and check the roof of the box, if the inside of the box has dark little splotches on the green paint chances it's mildew and the box leaks. One more thing if you have time and before you drive one home check fluids in the diff's. I had a buddy that bought a WWII scout car never checked them and was in the middle of a parade when it locked up! No juice in either axle. Somewhere is a good tread on what to bring on recovery besides your camera, on this site you got to put up pictures!!

Dave,

really appreciate all your advice and the email.
Really glad I found this site, it was exactly what I needed.
I'm just afraid....does buying deuces become addictive?
thanks again!

deess

turned mine into a camper and love it:-Dadded plugs and a 500 watt light to the back of the truck.put a modern 480 three phase plug in place of the other plug(top of box on passenger side to feed the disconnect power)made a cord and plugged it into my generator.ran tv microwave heater and lights.no problem.very comftorable the kids love it more than poptarts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

2027Deuce

So did you get any of those 109's at Riley? I need to get serious about a 109 but I have several other projects already in the works. I have a cheap source for those Mich. tires if you are looking for any.

Scott