• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud tapping noise from transmission

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First check the simple things. The propeller shaft between the t-case and transmission is a good place to start. Then check all the others. I've had several loose ones cause tapping sounds.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well 5th gear is the fastest RPM the shaft will spin and the slowest RPM the engine will spin. That's why it's typically easier to hear sounds like that. Another thing to try is to put the t-case in neutral and run the transmission in 5th gear to see if you can replicate the sound again. Process of elimination when it comes to weird sounds...

jrobinson5093

The shaft was fine. I pulled the top cover off the trans and found one of the 5th gear gears is missing several teeth. That is the same thing that happened to my last trans. Is this a common problem or am I driving it wrong.

sandcobra164

My trans only seems to have a synchro on second and third. First will grind, 4th and 5th will grind. I don't even use the clutch anymore on those as they like to be dropped in at a "sweet spot" that I know of. I do know that a normal deuce is able to use the clutch when changing gears so long as the transmission is fine. I wouldn't thing a gear in the transmission would create much a vibration when missing a few teeth. After re-reading that, I once had a Honda 50 small dirt bike. The chain popped off one time and locked down the drivetrain. I suppose it lost a tooth or 2 in first gear. It would tap like crazy in first but in second or third, it was quiet as could be.

jrobinson5093

I cant feel it at all. But I sure can hear it. I would like to put a different tranny in the truck but as I have read it does not seem to easy. And the trannys that might fit are not OD so that is no good. The only option I have though about is a New Process 540 out of a chevy wrecker I have, but it is non od. The only up side is that it has two places for a pto and I would really like a rear facing pto.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the 3053 trans is very strong and will last for longer than much of the rest of your truck. problem is they are abused by people in the mil, and you can eventually break anything if you try long enough. fix what you have, take care of it, and you will never have another problem with the trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks