• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can now get those again.. new law says no interstate travel and not over 55.. you can do interstate if that is the only way to get to your destination

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can now get those again.. new law says no interstate travel and not over 55.. you can do interstate if that is the only way to get to your destination
Tim, do you have a link to the new laws? Lots of confusing attachments in this thread, and I would love to have the actual law to read as I don't want to inadvertently get my eggs scrambled for not knowing the most current law.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check post 184 for wording and application for surplus plate.

Interstate and speed limit restrictions did NOT make into the bill.

La stencil law is still on the books and as far as I know still valid.
No one on ss has posted if they had issues with stencil vin since plate passed so unknown? Please post if someone has done one recently.

Vin stencil is a lifetime registration .

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check post 184 for wording and application for surplus plate.

Interstate and speed limit restrictions did NOT make into the bill.

La stencil law is still on the books and as far as I know still valid.
No one on ss has posted if they had issues with stencil vin since plate passed so unknown? Please post if someone has done one recently.

Vin stencil is a lifetime registration .
Thanks for the update, Juanprado... between myself and Trailboss, we should have an update on VIN registration soon... 😁

khmccrocklin

If they still do vin. That would be the cheapest especially long haul.
What is the process today to get a truck registered? I know I can make my truck conform to the regs I see except the part about a
Self-certification certificate indicating vehicle meets highway safety standards.

khmccrocklin

What is the process today to get a truck registered? I know I can make my truck conform to the regs I see except the part about a
Self-certification certificate indicating vehicle meets highway safety standards.
Which way do you want to go?
They are still doing vin or the new plate?
What kind of truck?
Where are you?
Here in New Orleans. Looks like after reading the thread throughly I’m up to speed. I just asked before reading everything.

my truck is in Texas and going through a refit. It should be ready in a couple of months.

it will spend its years on the farm.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in New Orleans. Looks like after reading the thread throughly I’m up to speed. I just asked before reading everything.

my truck is in Texas and going through a refit. It should be ready in a couple of months.

Vin stencil is the cheapest as a lifetime registration.
Military plate uses a sticker like others and needs to be renewed.
Farm plate might be also cheaper. I have not done that.

If you do the vin or military plate. I would go to Baton Rouge special and prestige plate unit. They are not busy like a regular dmv. Typically in out in 5 -15 min. Heck now they want appointments at veterans blvd.

I have a fording exhaust. Some soft doors and troop seats if interested. I dont advertise those as shipping would be stupid high. PM if interested

Al Capone

you have to have either a title or sf-97 made out to you . The self certification is a letter you print out and sign and get notarized . And turn in with your papers . It’s just states you will keep minimum safety requirements and not let anyone under age of 21 drive it. For some reason last m35a3 I titled with a clean la title they wanted a vin inspection . I raised hell with head omv lady in baton rouge and asked why if I had a clean title already . We got issue done with some vin and frame serial
Number pictures . And I sent all papers direct to them .
On the deal with stencil vins on body . Y’all say it is still on effect . But I bet they just forgot to remove that . They make more $ with these expensive plates .

Al Capone

If you do the vin or military plate. I would go to Baton Rouge special and prestige plate unit. They are not busy like a regular dmv. Typically in out in 5 -15 min. Heck now they want appointments at veterans blvd.

I have a fording exhaust. Some soft doors and troop seats if interested. I dont advertise those as shipping would be stupid high. PM if interested
They will not let you farm plate it . Unless someone slips it thru . But the short vins throw the flag in their computers

khmccrocklin

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to slowly get my ducks in a row and be prepared to be disappointed by the dmv….I should say that but they have been hit or miss with me over the years.

Al Capone

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to slowly get my ducks in a row and be prepared to be disappointed by the dmv….I should say that but they have been hit or miss with me over the years.
Local dmv won’t have the plate in stock . Not sure how far you are from baron rouge but might be worth the trip to go there . I was guy who finally got my senator involved to fix the problem of the not titleing humvees . And she did the bill and sent to me and friends and we rejected it and redid it and sent back . The omv was giving her the restrictions they wanted and we would say no . And finally agreed on what we have now . I emailed head omv lady jill just
Now to ask if vin stencil is still in effect . Which I highly doubt . Even if it’s still listed , she can just say oh, we forgot to remove it .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kendalrio did one within the last year on his m923 and someone else here had posted on a successful vin registration.

They are probably confusing the vin inspection which is required for the stencil.

State police or any post certified officer can do it. I never had a problem getting one done for a truck or trailer.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kendalrio did one within the last year on his m923 and someone else here had posted on a successful vin registration.

They are probably confusing the vin inspection which is required for the stencil.

State police or any post certified officer can do it. I never had a problem getting one done for a truck or trailer.
Yup. Did my M923 last year. VIN law is still in effect as far as I know.

And yes, the VIN verification is required to register it as a FHMV if you're going the paint the VIN on route.

I've never plated one, I've always used the stencil registration. As stated earlier, it's the cheapest down the road.

Al Capone

I titled a m51a1 dump just few months prior without any issues . Bought a m35a3 from sale guy and the state wanted a vin inspection on clean la title from same guy . Think cause if the year maybe being a 1996. At the time sheriffs office was only doing it on Thursday’s . And state wanted ya to go there . I told omv girl I’m not taking off work and losing a days pay for a already la titled vehicle . That’s when she says send her pics of vin plate and I added frame
Numbers .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks