• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low air pressure buzzer is dead.

tractorpuller1

My truck runs great, but the air pressure buzzer is now dead. It went from going off all the time, to going off some of the time, now it is dead. Air pressure is fine and builds fast. Where do I look? How do I replace it? Are parts still available for this?:-?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like your truck is never running out of air. I'd consider it a blessing. :D

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
if its the buzzer itself, it is under the dash just to the right of center, its a box about 5inchs square, i just pulled one off a parts truck if your interested pm me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be thankful :wink:. The first thing I do to a truck I'm going to keep is unplug that thing. I know you should use them but I like to hear how the engine is running when I fire it up and not a loud buzzing in my ear.

tractorpuller1

I know it's annoying but I need it to work for inspection. My truck holds air pressure for about 8 hrs after shut down if I don''t release it first. I will check under the dash tomorrow. Thanks!:-D

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
You should be thankful :wink:. The first thing I do to a truck I'm going to keep is unplug that thing. I know you should use them but I like to hear how the engine is running when I fire it up and not a loud buzzing in my ear.
so why not just turn the acc switch off till enough air pressure is built? that way you keep the safety of knowing if you lose to much air?

Katahdin

I suggest checking the wires/connector behind the dash if you haven't already done so. Maybe its just loose.

Lately on my M109A3 I've actually been pressurizing the system from my 'shop compressor' before I start it to avoid hearing the buzzer. I'm doing this so I can listen to the starter engage the flywheel since I've been having some intermittent starter issues.

I pressurize the system using a quick connect under the dash with a a male-to-ball_valve-to-male connector between the dash and my shop air hose. Its also handy to look and listen for leaks while the engine isn't running.

tractorpuller1

That is a great idea. I can easily do that at my shop. I have the female coupler on the inside firewall anyway.
I did check the wires. I can find nothing wrong. There must be a pressure switch some where. Can that be the problem? :roll:

Katahdin

Yep, there's a pressure switch. (I had to look it up myself)

See TM 9-2320-361-20 page 2-132 and 2-133 for the electrical troubleshooting procedure and diagram.

mckeeranger

Ours died when I had a battery connection problem. (M35A2) The alternator went into some major over voltage and fried it. We also lost a few bulbs.

The one on the XM817 has never worked, but I was told at the last inspection I had to fix it, even though the truck is air assist, not actual air brakes. Inspection is not required on the M35, it's too little. :-?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I take all the buzzers out of my trucks. If it went dead GREAT! less work to disconnect it.
And the new owners say "What a junker!" when they get them home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you from experience, I wish the low air buzzer had worked when I was driving someone elses 5 ton wrecker through a small town intersection, and there was no air( an airline had broken), which also meant no horn! No way I was gonna stop(was traveling less than 30 mph).

Don't disconnect your buzzer. Fix it if it does not work properly. You may save your own life or mine.

That day, I was just plain lucky. 2cents.

Westy, I'll demote you, if you don't reconnect your buzzer! Love DH

Snarky

I had what turned out to be a copper tube from the top of my compressor break off while driving home one day. I assume it has something to do with kicking it on and off using air pressure, because when it broke my buzzer sounded intermittently when you hit the brakes, even though it was still building around 60 PSI.

Needless to say I was white knuckled on the few blocks home, with no real place to pull over and check the air system. I'll tell you what though: that buzzer works, when ever your hear it, your eyes magnetically lock to that air gauge.

Pinz25086

Why not add the low air pressure idiot light to the dash and not worry about the buzzer? The light kit can be found on e-bay most of the time for less than $15 and then you will have some indication of a problem without all of the noise. I believe that you need to have some kind of warning device to be legal with the DOT (at least here in FL).

Wayne

Westech

CPL
I dont like the buzzer. I do a gauge sweep every 15 seconds or so like the "book" tells you do to. I will be hooking up a light to the switch so a light will go on but the buzzer... is History.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:evil: Westech, your about to be a 3 star, soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks