• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low air pressure buzzer is dead.

rustystud

The requirements of the drop flag, light, buzzer or multiple have changed over the years.

The end result is you are required to keep all the items the vehicle was built with operational or the vehicle is out of service.

On my civilian trucks they have both the buzzer and a red light.

The enforcement is the dot wants to hear the buzzer operating at the correct pressure.
All trucks and busses today have both a visual (light) and audio (buzzer) alarm. Your correct in that you must maintain the "factory" safety alarm. In the case of our trucks I think a flashing red light probably would pass the safety inspection as most are not familiar with military trucks. Though to be on the safe side I still keep mine in operating condition.

AceHigh

so why not just turn the acc switch off till enough air pressure is built? that way you keep the safety of knowing if you lose to much air?
I think you may be inviting an alternator problem doing this. If I remember correctly the switch should be "on" whenever the engine is running. I could be off though.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Wow, that was an old post, back before I really knew anything. Still don't know if it will hurt the alternator or not but also not really worried about it either. I've since unplugged that annoying thing. I do like the idea of a warning light in place of the buzzer though.

daytonatrbo

I think you may be inviting an alternator problem doing this. If I remember correctly the switch should be "on" whenever the engine is running. I could be off though.
I would think that even idling the engine without the lift pump running could put strain on the booster pump. I know its built to work without the lift pump, but the consensus seems to be that it isnt good for it.

quickfarms

All trucks and busses today have both a visual (light) and audio (buzzer) alarm. Your correct in that you must maintain the "factory" safety alarm. In the case of our trucks I think a flashing red light probably would pass the safety inspection as most are not familiar with military trucks. Though to be on the safe side I still keep mine in operating condition.
There are several problems with this thinking.

The first problem is a lot of the dot guys are ex military.

The second problem is that if the officer has a question they can simply ask for help or Google it

Not having an operational buzzer is a red flag, and why do you want to give them any reason to look further.

Jeepsinker

I understand that it is federal law. What I'm saying is that in a lot of places DOT has better things to do than mess with the little guy. I know for sure that I could disconnect and remove all of the low air warning system in all of my trucks and never ever have to worry about it in this state. I'm sure there are other places that are the same.

I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, much less am I advocating it. I do it for my own reasons. And if I ever do get in $hit for it then I'll deal with it and accept the consequences.

rustystud

I understand that it is federal law. What I'm saying is that in a lot of places DOT has better things to do than mess with the little guy. I know for sure that I could disconnect and remove all of the low air warning system in all of my trucks and never ever have to worry about it in this state. I'm sure there are other places that are the same.

I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, much less am I advocating it. I do it for my own reasons. And if I ever do get in $hit for it then I'll deal with it and accept the consequences.
Sad to say I live in one of those "communist" states ! Washington DOT is so very ANAL about anything having to do with safety. They actually have trucks that will stop any truck over 2 tons (commercial or not) and perform safety checks ! I know because I almost went to work for them. Since I had a "Master Mechanic Certificate" and was ex military I was called in by the state patrol for a job interview. They told me what was required for the job and all the benefits and stuff but since I was already working at another job I turned them down. So I know their out there. True they mostly stay on the major freeways but they can go anywhere in the state !

saddamsnightmare

December 11th, 2015.:twisted:

Gents:

I love to hear the whining about the safety devices on your trucks, primitive as they are, but if they don't work and you do get pulled over, your truck can be impounded in most states until you pay the fines and get it fixed.....

IF you were doing your Pre-Trip Inspections correctly, the buzzer would not annoy you so much as you wouldn't be in the cab much.....

What, you don't own a copy of the deuce pre-trip inspection sheets, let me help you out....

This is a Christmas gift that will keep on giving, and giving, and giving... And maybe save YOUR life or someone else's! Possibly mine or Doghead's, as speaking for myself, I always dread having an incorrectly maintained vehicle loose on the highway, having seen enough of them in Washington, DC, and Ohio.....

Consider that the deuce is relatively un-complex in its original design, has little to no redundancy in many systems (especially the hydraulic side of the brakes), and costs little to maintain in regards to parts costs or labor skills..... Correct maintenance is your friend, but does not necessarily guarantee against systems failures, it just minimizes the chances of one happening to you.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

December 11th, 2015.:twisted:

Gents:

I love to hear the whining about the safety devices on your trucks, primitive as they are, but if they don't work and you do get pulled over, your truck can be impounded in most states until you pay the fines and get it fixed.....

IF you were doing your Pre-Trip Inspections correctly, the buzzer would not annoy you so much as you wouldn't be in the cab much.....

What, you don't own a copy of the deuce pre-trip inspection sheets, let me help you out....

This is a Christmas gift that will keep on giving, and giving, and giving... And maybe save YOUR life or someone else's! Possibly mine or Doghead's, as speaking for myself, I always dread having an incorrectly maintained vehicle loose on the highway, having seen enough of them in Washington, DC, and Ohio.....

Consider that the deuce is relatively un-complex in its original design, has little to no redundancy in many systems (especially the hydraulic side of the brakes), and costs little to maintain in regards to parts costs or labor skills..... Correct maintenance is your friend, but does not necessarily guarantee against systems failures, it just minimizes the chances of one happening to you.
I personally have no problem with any safety device installed on any truck. As I'm half deaf the buzzer doesn't really bother me ! ;) . I just wanted to clarify the need for a "flashing" red dash warning light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks