• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low air pressure, what happened?

Question for the group.

I have had zero trouble with the air on my truck. Been starting it every day and letting it run due to the cold weather. The other night it got down to -5 F and the next day I went out and started the truck at 5 degrees F and then started my CUCV. I came back and noticed the air buzzer was still going off on the Deuce.
I checked and the air pressure was not going over 60 psi. I didn't have time to play with it yesterday so today I went and checked again. Same thing, pressure is slightly below 60 PSI. If I stand on the brakes and hold them to the floor it slowly goes down to 30 PSI.

So........what did I lose and where should I start looking. I hear no obvious leaks....

thanks in advance for all your help!!!

armytruck63

I wonder why you're starting the truck every day and letting it run when you are not planning to drive it. You should not let a truck sit all season and should start it once a while, but starting it every day is overkill. You are putting a lot of start up wear on the engine when you don't have to.

Once every couple of weeks should be more than enough. 2cents

rlwm211

Agreed on the daily starting routine. I live in the chilly portion of NYS and start the truck probably once a month, or if I need to move it. Otherwise I leave it be. Why torture the old girl if she does not have to be stirred from a long winter's nap?????

I know mine will start at below zero, so I do not need to "test" the truck.

Follow the advice and add deicer to your air lines and then start it, warm it up, then shut it down and drain the tanks.

Once you know your truck will start and properly build air, leave it be.

Just my two cents

RL

SMOKEWAGON66

when i was in Alaska, our Deuces never had airlines freeze...we always drained the tanks daily as a requirement. the 939 series 5 tons on the other hand were HORRID when it came to lines freezing..i always carried a BERNZ-O-MATIC propane torch with me to heat my spider valves up...and a can of ether :roll: ..only cool thing about ether babies..is the smokerings lol...in subarctic temps...my truck would blow hundreds of little smoke rings that would hang around for a long time and slowly drift away...i wish i could got a vid of that.

gunboy1656

Just out of curiosity, you did make sure the valves on the tanks were closed? Yes I know of people who did it, I laughed my butt off when my a friend called me with a problem. Does not take much to open the valves and get distracted, and forget to close them up.

Even with frozen tanks I still build up air pressure to 120.

I was always told to start a vehicle up every few days in the cold temps whether you use it or not. I start mine at least once a week in the winter.

dittle

One other thing I've noticed with my truck is that sometimes my buzzer will not shut off until the cab has heated up a little bit. I have full pressure so thats not the cause, just something being cold up there. Once its warmed up in the cab no issues, usually takes about 5 minutes after start up to get enough air in the cab to get the buzzer off.

Flyingvan911

I drain the tanks and leave the valves open when I park my deuce. It is parked on a slight grade with the front pointed up hill. This allows condensation to run out and any moisture should evaporate out of the tanks and lines.

JCKnife

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks