• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low on power, need assistance please.

Sullivankyle7

I had just bought a 1972 amg deuce and a half multi fuel and it seems to me that's it's low on power, I can't get it over 35 mph and everytime I tried using 5th gear it would lose speed and drop rpm to where I would have to down shift back to 4th and wined her up again would bad fuel filters cause this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good start would be to change your fuel filters and make sure your air filter is clean.

Sounds like fuel filters to me.

guns1977

Fuel filter or fuel line, had black alge in my line from tank to prefilter got worse and worse. Cleaned it out and new filters and runnin a fuel conditioner for extra precaution. Been runnin like a champ ever since

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a drain on the bottom of the primary fuel filter that is suppose to be drained regularly ( most people don't) . Draining it will give you a idea of what kind of crap is in the filters.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the strainer out of the fuel tank and shine a flashlight in the tank to what it looks like .

chwhite0783

When I got mine I had similar problem. changed all the fuel filters and good to go. undo petcocks on fuel filters to see if you have any water...could be a possibility also

Katahdin

Filter changes don't necessarily cure all your problems. Most "New-to-me Deuces" will probably have slime building up on the pump intake screen that obstructs the fuel flow.

Here's one I pulled today on a new-to-me m35A2.

m35A2_pump.jpg

I recommend new deuce owners clean out their tanks and pumps before you go too far with them, it might just save you a lot of trouble down the road.

Katahdin

Where exactly is that in the tank?
The fuel pump pulls out from the top, see pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1441624700692.jpg

Edit: forgot to add, M109 owners will need to remove the tank first from the truck because the van body box rides lower then a cargo bed. The pump can be removed from a M109 if the box floor has been cut out, I've done it that way too.

Last edited:

Sullivankyle7

Hey guys I need help again!!!! Ok now it runs good next problem I am having is my brakes..... They stick to the point were I can park on a steep driveway and not roll. But when there is no air in the tanks it rolls just fine to were I can **** near push it on flat ground. Any ideas thanks!

jetman10

speed is down

I took my deuce out for the first time any distance and the top speed was 40 MPH ! How high are you suppose to rev these things . I had it to the floor and it topped at 3000 RPM . Filters are good . It felt like I needed another gear above 5 th . I have it bobbed and 48 inch tires . My calculations showed a 7.5 mph increase over the stock tires and I was showing 33 mph with it floored . Made a long trip . My rear ratios are 6.72 . Should I change the gearing . I could stay in 5 th thru town !! Help !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks