• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Sulfur Fuel - Adding Lubrication

erasedhammer

I was reading up on ULSD and LSD, and I got me wondering what I should be adding to my fuel to make sure it has plenty of lubrication for the pumps and all.

What are you guys running for additive for fuel? Head on a diesel forum that people are adding 2 cycle oil at a 128:1 ratio for a tank.

someoldmoose

Add WVO - Waste Vegetable oil , up to 30% in warm weather. The esthers in the veggie oil are like Teflon, and fuel system cleaner all in one. In fact ya might end up having tuh change the fuel filters "often" for a bit as it cleans things out. If ya make friends with local restaurants and bars that fry stuff they will sometimes GIVE it to ya if you pick up. They are probably PAYING a company to take it away now. Side bennie . . . higher Cetane rating than Dinoco products. FREE more power availability but INSTANT smoother ignition. (slower, more even, flame front spread). Aaaaaand yer exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Add WVO - Waste Vegetable oil , up to 30% in warm weather. The esthers in the veggie oil are like Teflon, and fuel system cleaner all in one. In fact ya might end up having tuh change the fuel filters "often" for a bit as it cleans things out. If ya make friends with local restaurants and bars that fry stuff they will sometimes GIVE it to ya if you pick up. They are probably PAYING a company to take it away now. Side bennie . . . higher Cetane rating than Dinoco products. FREE more power availability but INSTANT smoother ignition. (slower, mare even, flame front spread). Aaaaaand yer exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil.
So I couldn't put in regular vegi oil? Gotta be waste?

Are you sure 30%? Like if I put in 12 gallons I could put in 3.6 gallons of wvo?

someoldmoose

CAAAN be virgin, why buy the cow when the milk is free ? Yes, perfect on ratio. Only thing, and it IS important, at VERY VERY least filter it. Virgin also. There are "machines" you can get (centrifuge, glycerin removal processor, etc.) that will make it even better. Complexity increases price.

My end-game is to buy a "processor". Salty, ( 10 grand or so to get started ) but it makes WVO into ASTM quality fuel, even BETTER than what you pump at the Dino's house.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

CAAAN be virgin, why buy the cow when the milk is free ? Yes, perfect on ratio. Only thing, and it IS important, at VERY VERY least filter it. Virgin also. There are "machines" you can get (centrifuge, glycerin removal processor, etc.) that will make it even better. Complexity increases price.
What am I trying to filter out of the wvo?

someoldmoose

All the crud from cooking, and in virgin, any glycerin that has separated. The glycerin is what GELS and clogs filters,

New side gig then, if processing, take the glycerin and make home-made soap. Or Nitro, but that's on YOU.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

All the crud from cooking, and in virgin, any glycerin that has separated. The glycerin is what GELS and clogs filters,

New side gig then, if processing, take the glycerin and make home-made soap. Or Nitro, but that's on YOU.
Sounds like a good deal if I had the time.

someoldmoose

Then grab some Wesson at the Quik - Mart and dump er in. Any will give SOME benefit. 2 stroke roil is STILL Dino, unless Synthetic. Both a LOT higher unit cost than Veggie. even virgin.

I did it once just for effect. Came outta BJ's Wholesale Club with 20 gallons of Pure Peanut and dumped it in the tank in the parking lot. Many pics were taken, and then I fired 'er up and filled the parking lot with the smell of a Carnival French Fry stand.

I loooooooove Diseasels !

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Then grab some Wesson at the Quik - Mart and dump er in. Any will give SOME benefit. 2 stroke roil is STILL Dino, unless Synthetic. Both a LOT higher unit cost than Veggie. even virgin.

I did it once just for effect. Came outta BJ's Wholesale Club with 20 gallons of Pure Peanut and dumped it in the tank in the parking lot. Many pics were taken, and then I fired 'er up and filled the parking lot with the smell of a Carnival French Fry stand.
I would go straight virgin oil, but the cost of setting up a filter for that? idk...

someoldmoose

Yer choice. I ain't makin' a nickle here.

One more quickie, read the label . . NO ANIMAL FATS ALLOWED. Lard, tallow, etc. = NO NO

Factoid - Rudy ( Herr Rrrrrrrudolph Diesel, we was tight ) actually DESIGNED his engine to run on PEANUT OIL as a BETTER alternative to the new Petroleum products. He lost. His engine also had no lubrication system, per se, because of the EXCELLENT lubricating qualities of veg. oil, the fuel was the lube.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a section on this forum for alternative fuels.

There is an awesome section in "Ih8mud.com" under alternative Diesel fuels.

I suggest you search TOBASH on the Ih8mud forum and some threads will come up under that section.

There is LOTS there, even how to create biodiesel for a buck a gallon. BioDiesel is the best thing for older Diesel engines, as it cleans EVERYTHING. You do however need to change all rubber hoses to clear plastic because rubber will be destroyed by bioDiesel. BioDiesel is an awesome cleaning agent and solvent. (New engines run compression that is too high and bioDiesel is too viscous for newer Diesel engines with high compression and fuel injectors that require less viscous fuel.)

Best,

T

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Agree overall, not that yer askin' . Disagree on a few points but , hey, "Merrrrka ! ! ! My budd has run NOTHING BUT VEGGIE bio in his '15 D-Max since the first tank ran out. Rolls Coal with the best of 'em, just with a LOT less smoke. (Erased, veg. doesn't soot like Dino either ) Jist s&)ts n GITS ! ! ! Last dyno run was 825 H / 1127 T with breathing and blowing mods only. ( Cold air intake with a snowblower (water / methanol injection), Bully Dog tuner and upgraded exhaust ) No goose the Moose, or "magic", just a lotta fun.

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I used to do that waste oil thing for my M35A2, was a giant pain in the butt to heat it up to get it thin enough to filter it. I just throw half a quart of 2 cycle oil in per tank every now and again, a gallon is decently cheap at Walmart.

teteacher101

Being in the north woods I am not a fan of using veggie oil as I am afraid if I used it during the summer any residual left hanging around in the tank an filter would gel up as soon as the temp started to drop. Being in WI you can go from heat to AC an vise versa in a matter of hours it seems! In warmer climates-absolutely, its a great fuel/additive but I just don't want to worry/deal with it. So instead I use ATF, I try to average about half a quart to every refill. I say average because sometimes I forget, or I don't want to pay $6 for a quart of ATF at the gas station since I have plenty at home of at least one of the many species of ATF that's made now. So I if I forget or can't remember if I put some in it last time after it sits for a couple of weeks or if my kid or wife drives it an puts fuel in it, or, etc., I'll check the fuel gauge an use the half quart to a full tank ratio. Unofficial, non scientific, non engineer, method of course. :)

ryanruck

Being in the north woods I am not a fan of using veggie oil as I am afraid if I used it during the summer any residual left hanging around in the tank an filter would gel up as soon as the temp started to drop. Being in WI you can go from heat to AC an vise versa in a matter of hours it seems! In warmer climates-absolutely, its a great fuel/additive but I just don't want to worry/deal with it. So instead I use ATF, I try to average about half a quart to every refill. I say average because sometimes I forget, or I don't want to pay $6 for a quart of ATF at the gas station since I have plenty at home of at least one of the many species of ATF that's made now. So I if I forget or can't remember if I put some in it last time after it sits for a couple of weeks or if my kid or wife drives it an puts fuel in it, or, etc., I'll check the fuel gauge an use the half quart to a full tank ratio. Unofficial, non scientific, non engineer, method of course. :)
ATF is good and is basically mineral oil BUT... ATF is dyed red and if you happen to be driving around, and get stopped by a revenue agent, and they dip your tank to check for use of off road diesel on road, they may mistake your red dyed ATF in your fuel tank for red dyed off road diesel. That happens and you'll be getting big fines for what amounts to tax evasion.

It's not common that regular drivers get their tanks dipped, it's mostly commercial drivers, but it can happen.

For this reason I use Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke.

erasedhammer

I am not looking for an alternative fuel here, I'm fine with regular diesel, I am just looking for an additive, other than wvo, that would help restore the lubricity of the ULSD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks