• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Sulfur Fuel - Adding Lubrication

They have three additives, fuel, oil, and ATF. They are not replacements..... They make two types of the fuel and oil additives. One for gas and one for diesel. I think they've come up with a few more products in the past few months also.

It was a youtube link: youtube.com/watch?v=7gvGF6fmCwk

As far as purchasing, you can order from homedepot, amazon and a lot of other resellers online. I get mine from amazon.

teteacher101

ATF is good and is basically mineral oil BUT... ATF is dyed red and if you happen to be driving around, and get stopped by a revenue agent, and they dip your tank to check for use of off road diesel on road, they may mistake your red dyed ATF in your fuel tank for red dyed off road diesel. That happens and you'll be getting big fines for what amounts to tax evasion.

It's not common that regular drivers get their tanks dipped, it's mostly commercial drivers, but it can happen.

For this reason I use Diesel Kleen and 2 stroke.
That's a good thought, but a half a quart of ATF in 25 gallons of on road diesel is not enough to turn it red like dyed fuel. (You can check that theory an ratio by putting about a 1/2 oz of ATF in a gallon of diesel.) I grew up on a farm an am well aware how dyed fuel seems to never leave the system once you use it and dyed fuel is a fairly deep red in color also.

When I first got my Humvee it had a sticky injector and about a 1/4 tank of fuel in it. I dumped in 5 gallons of fresh fuel and 2 quarts of ATF an ran the **** out of it. Ran it till almost empty an dumped in another 5 gallons of fuel an 1 quart of ATF. By this time she was running smooth so I filled the tank an dumped in another quart of ATF and the second tank fill I started using a half quart of ATF after that. During that time I also changed the fuel filter an fuel lines an there was no hint of red at all.

ATF has been what "the old timers" swear by since I can remember and I have never heard of anybody ever getting even questioned if they had gotten checked. I'm not gonna worry to much. :)

Jericho

Marvel Mystery OIL here, Use it 1 QT TO THE TANK . It is in reality not far off ATF. WALLY WORLD carries it buy the QT and Gallon , yup its red, but doesn't show up under black light .

ryanruck

That's a good thought, but a half a quart of ATF in 25 gallons of on road diesel is not enough to turn it red like dyed fuel. (You can check that theory an ratio by putting about a 1/2 oz of ATF in a gallon of diesel.) I grew up on a farm an am well aware how dyed fuel seems to never leave the system once you use it and dyed fuel is a fairly deep red in color also.

When I first got my Humvee it had a sticky injector and about a 1/4 tank of fuel in it. I dumped in 5 gallons of fresh fuel and 2 quarts of ATF an ran the **** out of it. Ran it till almost empty an dumped in another 5 gallons of fuel an 1 quart of ATF. By this time she was running smooth so I filled the tank an dumped in another quart of ATF and the second tank fill I started using a half quart of ATF after that. During that time I also changed the fuel filter an fuel lines an there was no hint of red at all.

ATF has been what "the old timers" swear by since I can remember and I have never heard of anybody ever getting even questioned if they had gotten checked. I'm not gonna worry to much. :)
That's good to know! I've just never wanted to chance it. :mrgreen:

snowtrac nome

I use marvel mystery oil when using ultralow sulfur heating oil. the diesel products usually have a pretty good lubricity additive in it. when we changed over I did some research there was a European product that showed the best lubricity, I forgot what the name was, 2 cycle motor oil was runner up. things like atf and power service were way down on the bottom of the chart as was amz oil fuel conditioner, which they wouldn't supply for the test as a note its the detergents in the atf that seem to remedy all the problems you here about from diesel engines. mystery oil stays suspended for long periods of time in diesel like 2 cycle oil

NormB

Add WVO - Waste Vegetable oil , up to 30% in warm weather. The esthers in the veggie oil are like Teflon, and fuel system cleaner all in one. In fact ya might end up having tuh change the fuel filters "often" for a bit as it cleans things out. If ya make friends with local restaurants and bars that fry stuff they will sometimes GIVE it to ya if you pick up. They are probably PAYING a company to take it away now. Side bennie . . . higher Cetane rating than Dinoco products. FREE more power availability but INSTANT smoother ignition. (slower, more even, flame front spread). Aaaaaand yer exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil.
Had a friend who ran his car exclusively on processed peanut butter oil.

Car ran great but the fumes stuck to the roof of his garage.

[ahem...]

NormB

ATF is good and is basically mineral oil..
And soylent green is people.

I recently bought a 5gal bucket of Miles' Dexron III for transmission/PS and it says clearly, in English, on the label "non toxic, non hazardous".

When I was a pharmacy tech in an earlier life, we learned the difference between the two mineral oils, USP and NF grades, USP being for use as a laxative, NF would go through you like grass through a goose or GI runs. In other words, ONLY use USP. (Use-USp - is how you'd remember it).

Interesting detail/connection (for me anyway).

Yeah, I probably could've looked up the MSDS for it, but I like making these kinds of connections/discoveries.

I was wondering what the heck ATF was anyway, and now I know.

miles atf.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks