• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lower dual pintle hitch converted to receiver style

Coondawg

My Deuce served lastly as an Air Force truck. It has dual pintle hitches on the back. I suppose the lower one was for lower profile trailers, power units, AC units or something of that nature. I know there are several receiver hitch threads floating around, but none seem to show anyone with dual pintles. I'm almost done bobbing it, and I thought it would be slick to remove the lower pintle hitch from the bracket, and fab up a receiver tube in its place. I thought of welding a colar around the tube front and back of the bracket, and also weld in some horizontal support behind it. There are 5-1/2" grade 8 bolts that attach the bracket to the frame. Has anybody done something similar to theirs? Does anyone have a better suggestion? I tried searching this, as dual pintle, two pintle, 2 pintle, Air Force pintle, but didn't get many results. I don't even know what this setup is officially called. Didn't find much in the TM's either. Thanks, Coon

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, that is quite the field modification. If I were you, I would just find a class 5 hitch and bolt/weld it on the deuce's frame. That way, when you are not pulling a trailer, you can pull the hitch and have better gound clearance. It might not be important to you, but for us that go off road, it is.

Coondawg

Good suggestion, I hadn't thought of the clearance issue. Technically, I could still unbolt it, but it is quite heavy compaired to the standard class 5 hitch. Thanks.

goldneagle

You can buy a Class 5 hitch on Amazon.com that is already set to the 34" frame spread. I did that on my M109A2. The bolt holes centered on the frame. 6 holes later I had the hitch installed. It is included in my thread on my M109 Restore project.

Coondawg

I've been looking at those trying to decide which way to go. I believe the Curt 15530 is a common one used. I'm sure that's easier than what I proposed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks