• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lower King Pin Bearing Cap Stuck???

a175

Trying to do a rebuild in accordance with my earlier thread, but can't get the dang thing off. I've soaked it in Kroll (sp?), smacked it with a hammer, and tried to pry it (can't get ANYTHING in between the knuckle and cap). I'm at a loss. I will be gathering all the information to create a thread for rebuilding the steering knuckles/spindles/locking hubs/etc, but I'm getting frustrated. My truck has been on jackstands over a month and a half now. Please help!
I'm not going to bother with the upper kingpin if I can help it. It seems to be in good shape. But the cap on the lower kingpin isn't centered, and so far whatever was made of rubber is trash... so I'd like to change out whatever I can. I have all the parts (about 200 pounds worth) to rebuild the steering components that are deadlined, but I'm stuck at this point.

OLDCHEV4X4

My lower cap was a job too. After I got all the bolts out (one of them broke off) I soaked it, twisted it left and right, and pounded a metal handled screw driver in both sides. It finally let loose. I had to raise the jack stands higher so I could get at it better.
Some pics would be good. We are a visual group.

98hd

Typically I go at the stuck ones w/ an air chisel to break both sides free, then rock it out w/ two pry bars. It will nick up the edges, but it doesn't really harm anything, just grind them smooth afterwards.

The pin doesn't like to let go of the bearing.

You can also remove the knuckle w/o removing the lower pin.

Take all of the upper parts off (you can leave the upper cone in place, but easier if you take it off) With a bit of persuasion from a hammer you can get the top of the knuckle past the cone and then you can slide the knuckle down and off.

Once the knuckle is off you can press/or hammer w/ a large punch straight down on the lower pin. Just pound right through the little metal dust cover. Remember to pound in the center so you are hitting the pin and not the bearing.

98hd

Here she is...
I'm not really comprehending how to take the knuckle off without removing all the parts. That would be pretty awesome, as I'd like to give it a good cleaning up and maybe throw some rust-blocking paint on it if that's a safe option.
I must not have been fully awake this morning when I typed that. You can remove the knucle w/o dissasembling the upper cap and bushing. Still need to have the lower out. Sorry about that.

You can still probably pound down through the lower dust shield onto the lower pin to help jar it loose

Using an air chisel, or even a hand chisel and a BIG hammer is your best bet though.

Zero_cool

I removed the grease zerk to relieve any pressure build up.
Then I hit the inside corner ( not the straight side but the curved side ) of the king pin with a brass hammer to release the stuck gasket.
Then i took a flat head screw driver and lightly pryed each corner untill it came out.
Brass wedges also work awesome.

Matt1031

The gasket glues it tight together I had to take a real thin screw driver and work it all the way around the cap it finally came off. Take the cap and set it on the flat part of a vise and with a hammer tap the flange flat again or just buy a new one they are just a piece of stamped steel pretty cheap to replace.
The lower kingpin cap (technically trunnion) isn't stamped sheet metal like the upper kingpin cap.
Looks like this: http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_pa...id=161&zenid=97c86d7b3ee1a7bff6af1003d207efb0

Last edited:

a175

Finally. Passenger side still has a stubborn cap thingy on the bottom, but driver side is good to go. Pics are of passenger side. Third pic is the bottom view of lower cap thingy that's still smashed up and wedged in there. The bearings are already out. Hammer time?

Attachments

a175

Took some more pics of the knuckles and king pins. Knuckles are dirty as all get out. Fair amount of surface rust. Hopefully I can clean them up. Upper king pins (I'm going to have to leave them in place for now) look good. Smooth and shiny. No lumps, bumps, corrosion, or pitting. Now of course all the seals were trash, but I have the parts kits in hand. First pic is where the tip of the grease zerk busted off.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks