• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LST 325 - Sept 2015 Tour Pittsburgh, Cincinnati

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
29 AUG 2015, 0738.
Imagine you are just on a routine drive on a Saturday morning. You are traveling a two lane state highway along the Ohio River and you look out your window and see this:

IMG_20150829_073811202_HDR[1].jpgzoom in.jpg

After a quick second of What the ?!?, I remembered that Gimpy had told me that 54reo (Brian) had told him that the LST 325 would be visiting Cincinnati this year. Sure enough, there it is, chugging it's way up river.

Here is the Schedule from the official LST 325 website.

LST schedule.jpg

Here are other links for more info.

The official LST 325 website: http://lstmemorial.org/

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-325

Steel Soldier thread from 2011:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67376-2011-LST-325-River-Tour

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just received a call from the LST!

They would love to have trucks displayed with them during their visit in Cincinnati. He was on the ship and underway, so he is going to forward my contact info to whoever is coordinating with "Cincinnati parks" and they will get in touch with me at a later time. I will update the thread with info as I receive it.

Lust4GreenSteel

I grew up in Evansville, IN. My grandfather worked at the shipyards where many of the LSTs were built. I would love to see the LST 325, but it seems that any time that I am "home", and have the time, she is up river visiting you guys. Enjoy.

54reo

Just got a txt from Brian, he will be here for the LST's visit.
Typically, we take a small family vacation to a town that the LST visits each year, and we will be towing the pop-up to you this fall.

I was not able to convince the wife that a trip to Cincinnati in a M1009 with two kids following a M35A2 would be as good a time to her as it would be to me, so we will be there with the Dodge minivan...

Good luck with putting it all together; we had a blast organizing everything when it stopped here, but I had almost a year to plan it all out.

I need to get in touch with Stan and see if he has any time off coming up.

gunboy1656

I saw it a couple years ago when it was in pittsburgh last. Amazing machine. Was building up our mule with recoil less and they had one on board. Took many pictures that day. Hope to make it there this weekend.

54reo

We won't be in town until Sunday afternoon, but plan on staying until at least Thursday.

If there is anything planned for the weekend, we will miss it; too much stuff going on that we are already committed to.

gimpyrobb

I received a call from the guys on the ship. It seems they were not able to convince Cincinnati Parks that they should waive the parking fee for those of us displaying trucks. Just a heads up, we will need to pay for parking.

The HUlk

Perhaps we could put out a donation box for the CMVPS (Cininnati Military Vehicle Preservation Society ;) in an effort to cover expenses?

I'll get the wife working on that.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I haven't heard from many, so I will post up my plans and maybe that will help others to decide what they are going to do. I plan on getting up Sat morning and getting everything ready so I can leave at 10am. That should put me on the riverbank around 10:30. I should be parked and set up around 11:00am. If anyone wants to join me, the LST325 should be just south of:

Showboat Majestic
435 E Mehring Way
Cincinnati, OH 45202

The LST website didn't list an address, just that they were adjacent to Great American Ball Field, this was the closest addy I could find.

gimpyrobb

Pics from today. The last pic is the line of parents and kids wanting to get in the deuce and check her out.
LST325 a.jpgLST325 b.jpgLST325 c.jpg

gimpyrobb

I forgot to mention, the LST's tour hours are 9am-5pm each day. If you are looking for something to do, this is a great day to spend in the public. I had great conversations with lots of people.

The address I posted will take you right to the public landing parking, then just follow the wall(to the left) all the way to the LST!

54reo

We should be there sometime late tomorrow and will be in the area for most of the week. I'll look you up Jeff and Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks