• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lt. Dan - The dream Deuce

Venomox

Lt. Dan, you got lots of legs!

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved the Deuce. It was the water truck at our ATV racing events. It was the most iconic vehicle from Vietnam. I'm huge into Willys Jeeps, and while romping around Bundy Hill Off-Road my fate would be sealed. I ran into member Wildchild467. He clung to the roll bar for a ride in my Jeep, and I got to ride in his Deuce. I knew I needed one.

I checked Craigslist every few months for the past couple years. Good things came as I waited. A few months ago I was on vacation throughout California. We stopped at Las Vegas for a couple days to visit the tourist attractions. Through a mutual friend, we were linked with the infamous Phil Maloof auto collection. I walked through rows of Duesenbergs, Rolls Royce's, and half a dozen buildings. The moment I stepped outside - I forgot everything.

There she was. And with a for sale sign! 1,800 miles from home and I found the one. Long story short: I bought the Deuce from the museum curator. My killer was shipping as it needed to be transported across the country. So I also purchased two Jeeps he owned, and will flip them to cover transport costs.

I'm very fortunate to have bought in my eyes the ultimate M35A2 with every accessory I've ever dreamed of.

MAT_5018.jpgMAT_5031.jpg

Bikeman found this information about it's last service:

1st Battalion, 144th Field Artillery Service Battery (WPCES0)Burbank, California.M35A2 W/W NSN: 2320-00-077-1617MFR 1971

This confirms my thoughts the M66 gun ring was installed during its service, along with the radio system. It's a true gun truck. I'm ecstatic.

MAT_5050.jpgMAT_5051.jpg
MAT_5047.jpgMAT_5043.jpg

Here's some pictures of the radio. I still need to learn how to use it.

MAT_5059.jpgMAT_5061.jpg
MAT_5061.jpgMAT_5062.jpg

What are my plans? First completely install the Deuce and trailer canopy. Then I'll mount a winch in the bed of the truck for loading my Jeep. I hope to use this as a tow rig, with the windshield folded it will fit. I may be able to fit another in the trailer. I've driven the Deuce around the property quite a bit and will save my pennies for steering upgrades. I can't wait to get it insured and out to the car show.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Spectacular find, will be following this thread

1974 AM General M109A3 w/Deuce Bed, White LDT, Whistler C, and soft top

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats; great score!

Ha, and just when I thought I had seen most everything in- and around a Deuce... this is something new - to me at least....

If this isn't what I think it is... it gave me a good idea at least, how to secure an M35 against (accidental)drive-away.

G.

Attachments

Venomox

Thanks guys! I'm glad to finally be a part of the club.

Looks good. Where are you in Indiana?
Shipshewana, IN. I need to find an excuse to attend the Haspin rally sometime.
Congrats; great score!

Ha, and just when I thought I had seen most everything in- and around a Deuce... this is something new - to me at least....

If this isn't what I think it is... it gave me a good idea at least, how to secure an M35 against (accidental)drive-away.

G.
I do believe you're correct. Before we could unload the Deuce from the semi, we had to unwrap a chain from around the lever.

rustystud

Congrats; great score!

G.

I like it ! Looks like they added that nice little bracket and drilled out a hole on the transfer-case lever to lock it up with. Probably puts the transfer-case in neutral then. So if you didn't know what to look for you would never see it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Looks like they added that nice little bracket and drilled out a hole on the transfer-case lever to lock it up with. Probably puts the transfer-case in neutral then.....
Yup, that's the idea!

Although the hole in that bracket seems to be a bit too far up... Could it be not for NEUTRAL but actually H-range? ... And some genius came up with this to hold the T-case in gear??:shock:

................. we had to unwrap a chain from around the lever.
That sounds a bit suspicious to me... Have you actually driven this truck, with the TC in high range?:?

G.

DieselBob

Although the hole in that bracket seems to be a bit too far up... Could it be not for NEUTRAL but actually H-range? ... And some genius came up with this to hold the T-case in gear??:shock:

G.
I always kind of figured that the genius that configured the Tcase linkage had the drawing upside down. Just never made any sense to have that heavy shift lever bouncing around just trying to drop into neutral. :roll:

Venomox

BTW, is that color a 383 variant?
I believe the color is 33070 that's faded a bit in the sun. I touched it up with a 33070 spray can left over from my Jeep project.

That sounds a bit suspicious to me... Have you actually driven this truck, with the TC in high range?:?
G.
Today I went to inspect; the hole is to keep the transfercase in neutral. I've driven the truck quite a bit in both high and low range. So far everything is working flawlessly. After battling a bent frame all day on my latest "WWII" Jeep salad, I'm happy to have an old vehicle that doesn't need a frame-off for once!

Documenting the mileage and hours to see how much I add.
Miles.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks