• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lucas oil additive

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we were kids, the powers that be told us to be wary of peer pressure. It is a very strong influence on virtually everyone.

-Chuck
I feel that you are trying (for some strange reason) to pressure me NOT to use an additive. Saying things like the OEMs would use it or the gov would mandate it come across as peer pressure.

You posted up some guys website that said it was bunk, I posted up some guys website that says otherwise (well mine said additives work but Lucas is bunk). Other people said we need lab tests and dudes in lab coats. All I want to do is TRY some of the stuff for myself. I'm not trying to mandate anything, get anyone else to try it or get young kids hooked on it. If at some point I decide that it's good stuff - I'll say so. If I think it's snake oil - I'll say so.

:deadhorse:

stumps

I feel that you are trying (for some strange reason) to pressure me NOT to use an additive. Saying things like the OEMs would use it or the gov would mandate it come across as peer pressure.
Nope! You missed the whole point of that post. Military Steel told us that he took a 120 mile trip. 60 miles to his brother's house, and 60 miles back. At his brother's house, he put Lucas in his truck. And it suddenly got cooler, quieter, drove faster, and got 3MPG better fuel mileage to boot! If he is driving a deuce, that is a 50% increase in fuel mileage! That is indeed something to get excited about... If it is really true.

I replied to his anecdote that if you could really get 10-15% better mileage just by sticking a quart of Lucas in your oil, the government should mandate that everyone do so. If Lucas is even part of the answer, car companies have clearly been wasting gadzillions of dollars making cars lighter, using thinner oil, etc. to meet their CAFE fuel mileage requirements.

As I said, I don't care at all if you put Lucas in your vehicles, or engine grenade, or water, or sand. If it makes you happy, go for it.

I have only provided a little counterpoint to this Lucas love fest. I have pointed out the difficulty I am having finding hard evidence that this stuff works. If it works as well as Military Steel believes it does; I would think it should be easy to find independent testing that verifies his claims.
You posted up some guys website that said it was bunk, I posted up some guys website that says otherwise (well mine said additives work but Lucas is bunk). Other people said we need lab tests and dudes in lab coats. All I want to do is TRY some of the stuff for myself. I'm not trying to mandate anything, get anyone else to try it or get young kids hooked on it. If at some point I decide that it's good stuff - I'll say so. If I think it's snake oil - I'll say so.
Fair enough. Before you add the Lucas, though, try to think of ways that you can quantify any changes the Lucas makes in the way your truck operates. If you have kept MPG records, make a note where the Lucas got added. If you have access to thermometers, or sound level meters, take some before and after measurements. Try to be as fair as you can, though.... No comparing mileage going up a mountain to mileage going down the mountain with Lucas.

I anxiously await your report!

-Chuck

paulfarber

So Lucas (as 'documented' on this forum) got 3 MPG MORE on the trip home.

M35A3 gets about 8Mpg.
3/8 = .375

Ok... so LUCAS is getting one guy 30%+ more MPG? Come one... as for 'cooler' running. Got a laser thermometer? Post some numbers... use straight 90wt for X miles, record temp. Add LUCAS, run X miles, record the temp.

Its not hard to do.

militarysteel

Yes after i added lucus to the Engine, Trans, Tcase, all 3 axles, my millage when from 7 MPG to 10 MPG
and Trans temp with out thermometer went from 130 to 140 down to 100 to 110, with lucus, and don't forget on my way home i was going 55 mph not 50,

One more thing, not to give stumpy any fuel, but on the way to his house i may have been fighting some wind, and on the way home to the east, i may not have been fighting wind :) now maybe you can factor in aerodynamics, my only mention of this is to only be entirely fair, it was not all that windy that day. if you read all my other mentions of lucus in this thread, they were all as stated.
:cool:

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I used Lucas in my old worn out Eclipse before rebuilding it. It'd smoke less and retain oil better but seemed to run about the same. I'm sure that had more to do with the higher viscosity oil not leaking through the valve guides as badly. Now that it's rebuilt, I just put regular oil with no off the shelf additives.

stumps

Yes after i added lucus to the Engine, Trans, Tcase, all 3 axles, my millage when from 7 MPG to 10 MPG
and Trans temp with out thermometer went from 130 to 140 down to 100 to 110, with lucus, and don't forget on my way home i was going 55 mph not 50,

One more thing, not to give stumpy any fuel, but on the way to his house i may have been fighting some wind, and on the way home to the east, i may not have been fighting wind :) now maybe you can factor in aerodynamics, my only mention of this is to only be entirely fair, it was not all that windy that day. if you read all my other mentions of lucus in this thread, they were all as stated.
:cool:
I am truly humbled! ... Well maybe not ;-)... But before you call your congressman, and tell him your plan for the US to save billions of barrels of oil each year, how about doing a trip back to your brother's house with Lucas?

I get about 10MPG better gas mileage (in my car) going to my mother's house than I get coming back. From all outward appearances the roads look the same both ways, but if you check a topographical map, you will see that her house is 30 miles, and a very gradual 500 foot slope downhill from mine.

-Chuck

OBTW, Stump and Stumpy are two other guys registered on SS. I am sure that they wouldn't want you to confuse them with me.

Boatcarpenter

OK military steel, I don't know any other way to say this, but that is the lamest bunch of non-facts and figures I have ever read to support anything, and I've seen some pretty wild claims.
Do a controlled, scientific study for your own good, and then report back.
But maybe, you are talking about another product. The thread was about Lucas additives, you talk about lucus additives.
BC

militarysteel

get some money out of your wallet and do your own test, you can enjoy lucus like everyone else here, i think you couple " Non-Belivers " are kind of a pain in the butt, or you cant read, one of the two. Read all the other posts, these people are not easily herded like cattle, mostly if it didn't work people would not buy it, it's not like its free.

Like- Slick 50, nobody buys it, it doesn't work.

Last edited:

militarysteel

So to recap , yes use lucus in your MV,s, the stuff rocks, better millage, less heat, plugs leaks, extends life of components. And if you are one that has 8 to 12 second dry starts with your duce, LUCAS to the rescue.

if you ever go into a NAPA/Truck stop get your self some, Read the side of the jug, its all true.

Attachments

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Well, this seems to have turned into a pissing contest. Lucas does make some fantastic claims on their website and on the side of their bottles. I've used this product in a worn out motor. It probably appreciated the thick viscosity as it was rather worn out. In any other case, as it is now with my rebuilt motor, I don't need a crutch. I think that Lucas Oil's probably loves the props!!!! None of my motor's have it in there currently as there is no reason to put it in them. I know the info posted on the link "bobistheoilguy" may not be relevant to most on here. In my opinion, it looks pretty unbiased. I've also noticed that Stumps get's his tail bashed on in this forum no matter what his views are. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable until he get's pushed, then he becomes sarcastic with his post's. I will never be too old to learn something, maybe he's on to something. Research on quantitative results rather than "seat of the pants" feel.....

roscoe

Nope! You missed the whole point of that post. Military Steel told us that he took a 120 mile trip. 60 miles to his brother's house, and 60 miles back. At his brother's house, he put Lucas in his truck. And it suddenly got cooler, quieter, drove faster, and got 3MPG better fuel mileage to boot! If he is driving a deuce, that is a 50% increase in fuel mileage! That is indeed something to get excited about... If it is really true.

I replied to his anecdote that if you could really get 10-15% better mileage just by sticking a quart of Lucas in your oil, the government should mandate that everyone do so. If Lucas is even part of the answer, car companies have clearly been wasting gadzillions of dollars making cars lighter, using thinner oil, etc. to meet their CAFE fuel mileage requirements.

As I said, I don't care at all if you put Lucas in your vehicles, or engine grenade, or water, or sand. If it makes you happy, go for it.

I have only provided a little counterpoint to this Lucas love fest. I have pointed out the difficulty I am having finding hard evidence that this stuff works. If it works as well as Military Steel believes it does; I would think it should be easy to find independent testing that verifies his claims.
Fair enough. Before you add the Lucas, though, try to think of ways that you can quantify any changes the Lucas makes in the way your truck operates. If you have kept MPG records, make a note where the Lucas got added. If you have access to thermometers, or sound level meters, take some before and after measurements. Try to be as fair as you can, though.... No comparing mileage going up a mountain to mileage going down the mountain with Lucas.

I anxiously await your report!

-Chuck
Gotta say I'm with stumps on this one. What could it hurt to do a little testing to verify all the claims. It would be a lot more productive than arguing.

Now, just out of curiosity which block heater will be more effective when using Lucas additives.:-D

militarysteel

Its funny, lucas is not new fellas, you are talking about claims and tests... this stuff is proven, ask any mechanic, go to any parts store, ask truckers, they will tell you the stuff is great... again don't confuse the application, there is a application for lucas and it works well with-in that application,

Regarding the original POST of this Thread, Obviously he learned something because he went and got some and threw it in his MV' witch is a great application for lucas.

Those of you that don't believe it, that is great.. more power to you,
I and many others use lucas in our MV's and will continue.
:cookoo:

militarysteel

that is funny, if you look right at the bottle of lucas it has a Semi Truck on it, not a drag racer. That website design is a Microsoft Front Page Template, real slick.

paulfarber

I'm gonna run out and put LUCAS in my Dodge 4-banger... I could use and extra 30% more gas mileage... and to think I traded in a Durango when all I needed was mystery goo.

No one is gonna change any ones mind. HISTORY is on the side of the no-goo-in-the-engine guys. An M35A2 from 1969 was rebuilt in what, the 80's, and still in use in 2010 and have not seen a drop of the goo. My jeep is 60+ years old and began its life on non-detergent oil! There is something to be said for scheduled maintenance...

All oil will return to the pan no matter the viscosity given enough time. If your main fear is dry starts then get a pre-lube system. Over the life of the vehicle it wil save you more than mystery goo and they are documented to reduce wear.