• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lug wrench ?

tankie88

I got one of those geared lug wrenches today.Made in 2004 still in the horrible grease/wax paper.Now all i have to do is find out how the thing works.I tried scanning the TM's and using the search fuction.Still none the wiser.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I got one of those geared lug wrenches today.Made in 2004 still in the horrible grease/wax paper.Now all i have to do is find out how the thing works.I tried scanning the TM's and using the search fuction.Still none the wiser.
One of the neat features of this site is at the bottom of each thread page is a bracket with, Similar Threads, and when you look down you will find........... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48723-Geared-Lug-Wrench-how-NOT-to-use-it-amp-extra-info and the answer to your question.:beer:

91W350

Slide the outer socket over the lug nut. Now insert the inner socket over the thimble. Initially use your bar to turn the gear on the dogleg. It will walk around the outer socket, tightening the thimble while loosening the nut, unless you are going backwards...

ATPTac

Does anybody have any experience with this particular impact: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-impact-wrench-66984.html ? I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove/reinstall the lug nuts without spending a ton of money. I also saw a 3/4 drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight that goes up to 300ft/lb, which is less than the specified torque spec on the A2. I went on the Snap-On truck and he had a 3/4 drive torque wrench that goes up to 700ft/lbs (I think), but it was $780 :shock:. What do you guys use to torque the wheels other than just leaning into a cheater bar?

I'm a little concerned about the rear budd's trying to turn when I go to remove the lug nuts, other than a porkchop are there any other options to prevent that? Or is using an impact usually good enough to get the nuts to come off without them both spinning?

Hainebd

I use a torque muliplier. Buds are know to be difficult to remove. I had a pipe 10 foot long and my weight on it bouncing and nothing. Purchased this china torque multiplier and I just turn the handle. Even my neibors 8 year old broke one loose. Mike down the street happened along and was amazed. Now his tire company has one in each truck for the ones the big air gun (1-1/2") can't break.

peashooter

I use a torque muliplier. Buds are know to be difficult to remove. I had a pipe 10 foot long and my weight on it bouncing and nothing. Purchased this china torque multiplier and I just turn the handle. Even my neibors 8 year old broke one loose. Mike down the street happened along and was amazed. Now his tire company has one in each truck for the ones the big air gun (1-1/2") can't break.
Ditto, I got one of these and love it. Prices do range a bit, but I think they are all chinese. Do an ebay search for "Torque Multiplier Lug" and you will end up finding items like this for around $60 and they include the right sockets for the lug nuts and square thimbals (inner dually nuts). http://lugwrench.biz/

welldigger

Does anybody have any experience with this particular impact: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-impact-wrench-66984.html ? I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove/reinstall the lug nuts without spending a ton of money. I also saw a 3/4 drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight that goes up to 300ft/lb, which is less than the specified torque spec on the A2. I went on the Snap-On truck and he had a 3/4 drive torque wrench that goes up to 700ft/lbs (I think), but it was $780 :shock:. What do you guys use to torque the wheels other than just leaning into a cheater bar?

I'm a little concerned about the rear budd's trying to turn when I go to remove the lug nuts, other than a porkchop are there any other options to prevent that? Or is using an impact usually good enough to get the nuts to come off without them both spinning?
I have the older version of that impact. It looks identical except mine is gray and black instead of just black. Works pretty well. It busted every lug off my truck and 105 trailer with no problems. My buddies truck it stuggled on a few. But he had a peterbuilt dealer work on it before he met me and I bet they used a 1" impact to install them. Overall im happy with that HF impact for the money I paid. Use a 1/2" air line or bigger. O and its very heavy.

ATPTac

I have the older version of that impact. It looks identical except mine is gray and black instead of just black. Works pretty well. It busted every lug off my truck and 105 trailer with no problems. My buddies truck it stuggled on a few. But he had a peterbuilt dealer work on it before he met me and I bet they used a 1" impact to install them. Overall im happy with that HF impact for the money I paid. Use a 1/2" air line or bigger. O and its very heavy.
Hrmm, so it might be worth the $100. What size air hose do you use yours on? I have a 3/8 that I was going to run off the truck, but I get the feeling from what I've read on here it won't be enough.

I went on the Snap-On truck today and he had a Blue Point 3/4" impact for like $650. I'm sure its a much better gun, but for how often I'm going to be using it I'll save the $550. I did however pick up 2 different Snap-On Budd sockets. One is a 1-1/2" with a Budd built into it, and the other is just a Budd socket. I also got a porkchop. The Snap-On Budd's were expensive, but I can pay on them weekly and they also are well built with a lifetime warranty. Could I have gotten them cheaper? Sure, but I feel good about it.

welldigger

I run a 1/2" air line. Actually I run a 1/2" air line with high flow fittings even with my smaller impacts and air tools. They operate so much better with the increased flow. Especially with 100ft of hose. I'm limited by power source locations as to where I can put my compressor so I need long air lines. 3/8" would really starve any 3/4" impact. The deuce air system is capable of 5-7 cfm so it would probably work for busting lug nuts. Though, you may have to wait a minute between lugs for the system to repressurize. Just bump up your line size. Even if you have to bushing up from the glad hand that small restriction shouldn't matter too much for intermittent use.

welldigger

I would think that would work but I have honestly never tried to use the deuce air system for anything other than its on board functions. Never even aired up a tire with it. Even though I have an inflater hose that hooks to the glad hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks