• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1009 emblem

wkbrdngsnw

This is what happens when you give a redneck a CNC mill and free time. Not all that special but some people might find it interesting.

I've always wanted something to show people that that it isn't a civilian blazer. I wanted to do one with the letters cutout but I don't have tooling small enough to do it at a reasonable size. So that lead me to do more of an engraving but still keep it looking like something that might have been the stock emblem for the CUCV series trucks. I made it a size such that I can make 2 more and put them on the front fenders and use this one on the tailgate.

It still needs some paint to fill in the letters. I'm debating flat black for more of a stock look or the OD green.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Why not do flat black on the raised areas and O.D. green an the lowered areas, it'll give it some depth as well as contrast but still be military looking.

det rebel

i like them you need to start making more and selling them in sets of 2 and 3 then start making others ones aka. 1008, m35 ect....

wkbrdngsnw

When I thought this up I had no intention of production. My machine is not setup for production on any scale. Its a small manual machine with an aftermarket cnc conversion so not quite a HAAS. It takes a long time to do anything. This makes parts in a commercial sense cost prohibitive. Its more of a hobby. As of right now I'm looking for a job so I have ample free time, if nothing comes around here soon I might need something to keep me entertained.

If I operated as a machine shop the costs would be around $45 a piece. From my personal point of view its a piece of scrap cut into something somewhat interesting but if someone was selling one I'd be only willing pay slightly more that the cost of the aluminum. Its also hard to compare something machined to the cost of the factory die cast emblems which are stamped by the 1000's or these days injection molded out of plastic. This is why I don't own a business.

We will just have to see what happens on the job front. If I did produce them it could be scaled, currently 5"x1.1", and changing the 09 to any of the other numbers of the series is not a problem.

wkbrdngsnw

Its just held on there with duct tape for a test fit since its way to dirty since its going to be held on there with 2 sided trim tape. Permanent installation probably wont happen til spring due to the temperature.

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

Shouldn't it be just M1009 not M-1009 ?
I believe that is correct but when I was laying it out without a space it didn't separate the M and the 1 very well and a space just looked kinda funny. Its more of how you say it, M slight pause 1009, anyway. I liked the look of it better that way.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that is correct but when I was laying it out without a space it didn't separate the M and the 1 very well and a space just looked kinda funny. Its more of how you say it, M slight pause 1009, anyway. I liked the look of it better that way.
Seeing as it is your truck and your work , what looks good to you is the correct way .

Sportsmanfromkc

I attempted to make a CUCV badge in paint based on the same font as the badges GM used on it's civilian trucks. I always pictured something like this on the trucks.

I like this idea. The engraved m-1009 emblem needs to be larger and for the wall of a shop or man cave. That's just my 2 pennies worth of thought though.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one of these days soon...

MakerBot Industries

a PRINTER that could make these out of plastic in a few minutes

at $1750 they are NOT CHEAP right now

but neither were laser printers - then ink jet ---

but your kids will have these as a matter of course

Last edited:

wkbrdngsnw

It would look a little funny now being a different font but I like the idea of making the CUCV and put it on the other side sort of where the make is on one side and the model is on the other. What font did you use? I used the Rockwell extra bold so it would be wide enough to get the cutter into. Its hard to find a good bold font.

The biggest I could do is 17"x 5.5". The real question on that size is how round the corners of the letters are since the cutters are round and leave a radius half the diameter. If it could be done with a .5" it actually wouldn't take much longer than the small one but keeping the corners as square as possible and using an 1/8" it would take forever.

The maker bot is kind of interesting, one use is to use the output model to do an investment casting of complex shapes. Aside from that its cheaper for me to just cut my prototypes out of the actual material. There is talk on the internet of people attaching the plastic injection head to the spindle and using a mill to keep from buying a separate machine. The head is still the most expensive part though. Actually my mill uses steeper motors for positioning like a printer but drives the lead screws instead of the belt.