• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-35 Air Starter

unclemikey

With all the mods being done to M-35s, I was wondering if anyone had converted the 24 volt electrical starting system to a compression air start system. I don't recall every seeing it being done, but it would be kinda cool! :roll:

wehring

air starter

Sounds fun. I am sure that one I hear the answer that this will be a silly question but how do you start it once your air tanks bleed down?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

ODdave

Sounds fun. I am sure that one I hear the answer that this will be a silly question but how do you start it once your air tanks bleed down?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Air compressor or air from another truck.

And before anyone comments on where to find air, there are a hel* of alot more trucks on the roads with compressed air onboard than there are with a 24v supply.

Last edited:

tm america

hmm?Seems like a different mod... i like the electric-mechanical starter that you crank to start if the electric part fails.. They are really cool.not sure how much they cost but it would be nice to have a back up just in case

Jones

If you've got a really tight air system and / or use the truck regularly, then an air starter might be a consideration. The conversion will be an either / or situation so you can't go ahead and press the startrer button if the air starter doesn't do it's job. You'll need a high volume air valve and lines capable of handling the required CFMs. An air starter is basically an impact gun with a bendix attached and you know how hungry air tools can be.
Maybe an aux. air tank too 'cause the stock deuce tanks aren't exactly high volume. That tank could be dedicated just to the start circuit.
Just remember that jump starting a battery system is a lot simpler that finding a compressed air source. I don't think you can do a lot of cranking on air like you can on batteries so you pretty much have to get it started on the first try.

ODdave

Jones Just remember that jump starting a battery system is a lot simpler that finding a compressed air source. I don't think you can do a lot of cranking on air like you can on batteries so you pretty much have to get it started on the first try.[/QUOTE said:
Really? where do you find 24v?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
you dont. untill air can be grabbed from another source if availible to recharge the start tank.
for colder climates this type of starter has not worked very well for us.
the main advantage that i can see is the reduction in tare weight of the truck by using 3 less batterys.

OldDominionIron2

It's how we started the diesel on a modern submarine. Always sounded cool when that 38ND8 1/8 rolled over. 8 cylinder 16 pistons sounded cool running!

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/img/public/engines/op_cutaway_large.jpg
I always slept like a baby when we were snorkeling.

Our emergency diesel generators at work have air start systems, with 6 tanks, 2' diameter x 8' tall to supply air. As long as the deuce cranks sometimes before starting, I think the limited air supply on board wouldn't allow an air start.

wehring

Liquid CO2

I have been VERY impressed with the Powertank 20# system. I fill it about every other month and use it often. The liquid CO2 converts to gas and gives you the power. Adjustable reg from 0-200psi. Great for power tools and big tires.

This would give you enough back up for SEVERAL starts.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Jones

The problem isn't finding 24volts vs. finding compressed air. The problem is finding either in some of the places deuces can get themselves into. If nobody's out four-wheeling in their eighteen-wheeler that day, batteries are a lot easier to pack in than an air compressor.

True, some jeepers have on-board air (plugs into the cigarette lighter and takes forever to air up a tire) but in this case it's still all about the CFMs.

Bill W

Both have their pros and cons
Electric starters take alot of amps to turn over your engine where as a DC electric compressor can probably use about 1/3 of that to fill the tanks ( several times ) so if your out somewhere with empty tanks you'll have to wait several minutes for them to fill up to where if your out somewhere with weak batts you'll have to wait for someone to jump you. Plus air starters sound so frigging cool. Been on several Motoryachts that had big airstarted MTU's and the engineers could not say enough good things about them

housemover

If it was a good idea you would see it on civi trucks more. Its a problematic system freezes up in winter slow air leak leaves you looking for air supply in the morning. Plus you have to have air tank as big as a fuel tank. To many negatives that why they haven't been around since the 70s.

Bill W

If it was a good idea you would see it on civi trucks more. Its a problematic system freezes up in winter slow air leak leaves you looking for air supply in the morning. Plus you have to have air tank as big as a fuel tank. To many negatives that why they haven't been around since the 70s.
Good idea??
If this was about good ideas then we would not own Military Vehicles ;-)
I think this is more about Cool & Wow [thumbzup]

oddshot

If it was a good idea you would see it on civi trucks more. Its a problematic system freezes up in winter slow air leak leaves you looking for air supply in the morning. Plus you have to have air tank as big as a fuel tank.

To many negatives that why they haven't been around since the 70s.

Back when I was in High School (before 1969) ... I used to walk to school.

I'd take a short cut through a lot where an owner/operator had his rigs parked ...

One quiet spring morning, as I was walking past one of his trucks ... he started it ...the WHOOP of the air starter caused me to break free a lodged stool.

:shock:

I think it may have been the first time I ever dropped the "F" bomb right out loud.

oddshot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks