• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-35 Air Starter

Bill W

How about a cartidge starter like the old radial engines. rofl

That would raise a few eyebrows
I remember the old movie with James Stewart "Flight of the Phoenix" where he used the cartridges

Didn't some radial engine tanks also have those as a backup starter

ruthless79

An air starter would be cool but as stated before they need lots of cfm. We use them offshore for almost everything they work great and are easy as **** to rebuild. for our 8-71 detroits we use a 1" hose to start them with for the cfm's we need. you could always keep a 50 or 80 scuba tank as a back up air source. it could be done just have to think it through for the what if's.

Flyingvan911

It is like a large blank bullet cartridge. You put it down in the hole and a firing pin hits it and the gases push a piston and spin the crankshaft. It required being very close to the engine and propeller. I would bet it would actually work well for a multifuel that starts without too much cranking.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This has been covered before here on SS and it was deemed a bad idea for reasons that have been stated.
In fact not long ago, I just spent for ever searching for this thread, maybe it is just me but how hard is it to look for "AIR STARTER" WRONG, got everything under the sun BUT, this is why I HATE search. So can one of you SUPER DUPER SEARCH SEARCHERS please find this thread so it can be added here to this thread, to keep the info together, THANKS

DEUCEBIGALOW

In fact not long ago, I just spent for ever searching for this thread, maybe it is just me but how hard is it to look for "AIR STARTER" WRONG, got everything under the sun BUT, this is why I HATE search. So can one of you SUPER DUPER SEARCH SEARCHERS please find this thread so it can be added here to this thread, to keep the info together, THANKS

agreed the search feature here sucks :ditto:

JDToumanian

Really? where do you find 24v?
Slave cable. I'm rarely out driving my deuce where there are not other MVs around and If I am, someone with a deuce is on speed dial. If that fails, two cars with jumper cables, one car hooked to each battery, works well. Compressed air? You're ass-out.

It would definitely be cool though, and I'd probably enjoy scaring people with it.... :twisted:

Jon

ODdave

Slave cable. I'm rarely out driving my deuce where there are not other MVs around and If I am, someone with a deuce is on speed dial. If that fails, two cars with jumper cables, one car hooked to each battery, works well. Compressed air? You're ass-out.

It would definitely be cool though, and I'd probably enjoy scaring people with it.... :twisted:

Jon
People around you are alot more trusting than here, you find 2 people to let you hook there cars together then to your big ole machine......YEA RIGHT. lol

compressed air is on EVERY semi you see and LOTS or medium dutys, lots of mv's have air heck even pontiac aztecs have on board air.

Sorry if i sound stubborn but sombody has to be on his side, just seems like im seeing alot of ppl get there ideas shot down on here lately (I did it to someone on AC in a deuce, And feel i was in the wrong)

I guess this is a usless argument but dam if it wouldnt be cool.

Consolidated fright had air starters on there trucks years ago . the electrical system would be real simple with air starter . the air starter works great in cold weather no more hot or burned up starters cables or batteries

unclemikey

Thanks guys, there has been more input on this than I thought there would be. Lots of pros and cons, some very good points made both ways. Been thinking this through a bit and have come up with some questions/issues of my own. First off, it looks like no one has ever made this mod to a Deuce, I guess someone has to be the first. Outside the way cool factor, I see some problems with both systems. First off let me say that I am in an area unlike most of you, and many times I am way O.D. ( Out Dare ). No one to flag down for a jump, air or electrical. Having a start tank is not a problem for me, and there is lots of room for it. Air lines can leak, but so can the stock air lines on the vehicle now, as well as hydraulic systems. I think that has more to do with installation. My thinking is going like this.......Batteries can go dead, most times you can recharge them with solar or an onboard generator. But sometimes a battery can go the way of all things. Air can leak, but most times is repairable. Electrical can short out beon repair, and can take your vehicle with it. ( not probable, but possible ) The risk factor is therefore higher. Air is everwhere, if you were to lose all your air, you can restore it with an back up compressor or even with a bicycle pump if need be. It would be a lifetime job, but could be done. The risk factor being less.

One point that might be brought up, for those that who have a hat rack of tin foil hats.:tin hat: We know that a Deuce is about the best vehicle in regards to an EMP. If you could not bump start, or push start or have no way to get your Deuce to fire, would not an air start be the path you may want to take, as EMP would have no effect on the vehicle. Just my 2cents worth.

One thing more. I think the biggest drawback to this mod that I can see is the cost of doing it. I can't help but think that more than a few coins will pass through ones fingers.

So over-all, is this idea :cookoo: or is it [thumbzup]

spicergear

We have two Pratt & Whitney R2800 'Double Wasp' twin row, 18 cylinder radials where I work and I'm the guy that takes car of them...among other duties. We get some guy in now and then that tell stories of them from way back. Boy do they curse cold weather and 'shotgun' starters. If you didn't catch it right or over prime it with those they were prone to flooding then the work began. I ran our one 2,500hp engine today twice for testing. Big 24V electric starter with large face splines to engage them.

I'm almost thinking about an air starter for my crane truck. I have a dead short somewhere in the harness and it's tough to keep batteries up. Be easier to fire a Briggs powered air compressor and pump up an air tank over pop starting or charging. Oh, and pop starting one deuce with another...by your self can be done. -don't do what I do- :mrgreen:

Would be cool to have the best of both worlds, an air starter up front and an electric starter behind it on a common driveshaft. Of course unless you could disconnect the two you would be cranking your electric starter way too fast whenever you used your air starter. Someone should invent a hybrid, just my two cents 2cents call me :cookoo:

Sephirothq

IT seems like the biggest issues with an air start is the tanks draining down. Or at least thisis the one that is uoted the most here.

What about a simple valve you would turn to cut off the air supply and save the tanks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks