• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 - CUCV Suburban Clone Build Thread

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others have done this before but here is my version of it.

Bear with me as I take the journey of building a Squarebody, 3/4 ton, 4x4 , Diesel Powered MV Clone that the Military should have built.

I have been looking for a sutible donor for a couple of years after I found Rickoday's thread.

M1007 Suburban CUCV Conversion - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

I have found many Suburbans in the OKC area, but no diesels. I have watched a bunch of auctions and bought some that have been close to what I wanted but not close enough.

So last week I found an auction that looked promising.

It was a 1987 V20 Diesel Burb that was semi close to OKC.

Squarebody - check
Diesel - check
4x4 - check
3/4 ton - check
Barn Doors - Double Check
overdrive tranny - nope (3/4tons come with the TH400)

So I buy the truck for under $500 sight unseen and load up the trailer. I wasn't looking forward to a drive to west TX in the heatwave going on.

It started out as a nice cool day with light rain. The drive out was uneventful.

Arrived to the location and discovered some neglected MVs. The company was started years ago by the father and now the son is operating it. I wonder if the son will sell some of the "junk" that is laying around?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/74511-mvs-spotted-tx-recovery.html

Coming home I was on the MV look out and spotted many MVs in various states of disrepair. Good thing I took notes for future recoveries. This OD Fever does stange things to the mind.

So sit back relax and join me on this OD adventure.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped by the carwash on the way home to wash off some of the TX dirt.

Once home I wanted to assess what I had.

The seller told me that the engine had been replaced with a military 6.5L engine. Never trust a seller without verification. Turns out the engine is a 6.2L "C" code with the EGR valve. Good thing I have a couple of 6.2L "J"s in the can.

Removed the air breather and saw some stuff under the intake. After 30 minutes of digging and 1/3 of a trash can, all the hood insulation, twigs and rat turds had been removed.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I wonder why the GPs aren't working. I think I'll ripout the stupid GM wiring and install a manual GP switch.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, great deal on this one. Oooof, panel doors too! I'm going to enjoy this one. Joe, I have a 91 V Burb with a 6.2. My very first mod was to add CUCV tow shackles on the front. Haven't needed to towbar it home yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spoiler, hahahahha... my wife calls ricerocket spoilers, fins!

You gonna go with 12 or 24 volt?

Preacherboy

What designation would one give a crew cab regular pickup? That is what I want to build someday...m1007a1?

I have a cucv II clone suburban, suburbans are sweet trucks! Can't wait to see pictures of your progress.

idM1028

Subscribed. Any reason why you went for a diesel 'burb? The small-block chebby engines and the 6.2 and 6.5's should be about the same size and have the same engine mounts,etc. Plus if you've got a J-code 6.2 laying around. . . Just a few thoughts.

boomer431

It's amazing once you have green fever how many mv's you will see that before you never thought twice about. Good luck on your build.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks