• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 - CUCV Suburban Clone Build Thread

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No real progress to report.

The wife has me working on the Honey-Do list. Since the weather has cooled off I cant use the excuse of it being too hot. :(

I did manage to take the beast to the carwash again for some additional cleaning. $15 later and "most" of the West Texas mud/dirt is gone from the under side. I even was able to remove most of the West Texas Rat Coloney that was living under the intake manifold.

The previous owner had said that the engine had been replaced with a Humvee take out. It may beem replace but with a civvy "C-code" with all the EGR crap that is attached but not hooked up.

It appears that the swap was started but not finished as the battery cables are missing, the starter lead cable was cut and the last foot is still attached to the starter.

The rats decided to feast on the glowplug controller wires. The civvy version has the controller on the left rear cylinder head instead of under the dash like the CUCV.

Contacted BARRMAN to send me some battery cables and wiring off of a parts truck he is storing for me.

Hopefully this week the wife will give me a pass from the Honey-Dos, the wiring parts will arrive and I will at least be able to test fire the engine. If it is dead, then I have a couple of can engines to install.

Last edited:

Barrman

You have a "rats next in a box" coming to you via the USPS. The post office lady said "you really want to mail all those dirty wires and stuff to somebody? Do they know what they are getting?" I had to ask for a box and pack it there is why she all the stuff. I assured her the person getting it actually wanted all the dirty wires. She just shook her head and got me out of there as fast as she could.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love rats nests. How many have I sent to you over the last three years?

Barrman

Lots. I should have proof read my other post more. Sorry about all the wrong words. I guess I am not as good at typing one thing and talking to a student about something else as I thought I was.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots. I should have proof read my other post more. Sorry about all the wrong words. I guess I am not as good at typing one thing and talking to a student about something else as I thought I was.
I call that a senior moment.......I do that alot lately....:razz:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box of rats nest wires just arrived. looks like I will be working on the truck this week. :D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent a little time last weekend working on the wiring.

Replaced the main battery feed with a "new" one from the parts truck.

Found a broken wire on the alternator exciter plug. Fixed it.

Worked on the Glowplug wiring. Since the main feed for the glowplugs was chewed up, I removed all the drivers side wires and patched some missing insulation with some shrink wrap.

I also replaced the GP controller plug.

I use the butt connectors and shrink wrap on all my connections. I like a water tight seal.

Since the auto parts stores don't sell the uninsulated connectors, I make my own. Just slice the outer cover and push out the connector. I do this because I can find the insulated ones everywhere. I have to order the unisulated connectors.

Attachments

Last edited:

BobM

Hey those rusty pliers look just like mine! Looks like you are taking care of all the "little" things. I hate those little things. They always take the most time!:)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, I hear you on the connectors. I have tons of 10-12 and 14-16 non insulated but when it came to the adapter connectors for the fusible links, I bought in the insulated ones and removed the plastic so I could heat shrink it. Best way to go for certain.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Todays update.

Finally got the battery cables installed, the GP system operational and 7 of the 8 gps working. I also had to fix the fuel system and bleed the lines.

Tried to start the beast but no luck. Fuel, fast cranking but no fire. And ALOT of white smoke out of the intake manifold.

Checked the compression today and the found the following

1- 140psi
2 - 280psi
3 - unable to check because A/C bracket was in the way and my tester wouldn't fit
4 - 280psi
5 - 140 psi
6 - 280psi
7 - 180psi
8 - 200psi

So it looks like the "new" Humvee engine the seller said was installed is toast. (it isn't a Humvee engine but a wornout C-code civvy unit)

They VIN shows a J-code should be in there so a 6.2L HMMWV engine in a can will be installed very soon. I also have to replace the burnt transmission with a new rebuild I have had in storage for awhile. For now the TH400 will be replaced but a 700R4 is in the wings. It just needs a rebuild.

Last edited:

wardepartment

Thanks for the link. I am addicted to projects as well, probably would'nt make much sense having an interest in MV's if I were'nt.
It looks as though you found a good base to start from. I have a m-1009 carcass coming from the great northwest, the northwestern portion of lower Michigan that is. It is quite solid considering being from a snow laden region, originally from Tn or Ky I believe. I have'nt taken posession yet but all sorts of twisted ideas are drifting ashore as I type. Best of luck as all eyes are on you now!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the update is: Nada

The engine that came in the truck was bad so I bought a replacement 6.5L GEP engine from GL.

The repair tag said it had overheated and was pulled from service.

I checked the compression on it and one of the cylinders has zero preasure. I haven't torn into it yet.

SO for now the project is on hold.

I did just pickup 4 more engines from GL and I will have to see what is inside the cans.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks