• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 - CUCV Suburban Clone Build Thread

richingalveston

I will wait until you get it finished. I am pretty busy right now with work and the purchase of an office in Bryan.

The office was an old car repair place and I get the three vehicle lifts that are in the building. I am going to keep one for sure if not two but will have one to get rid of soon. two are binwheel side post 5500 lbs and the third is something else so I don't know all the info on it.

I will probably try to see if an ss member is interested before craigs list or ebay.

I should have my turbo done in a few months and will definitely make the march event next year. If I don't have the chance to check out the rig before then I hope to see it there.

If Colton comes to TAMU, I can offer side work at times. My friends son just graduated so I lost my teamsters. He and his friends would come move material, clean and do odd work for cash, mostly jobs that are 2 to 4 hours not all day work. It gave them their weekend money.

Enjoy TAMU it is a nice place.
Rich

Barrman

I am A&M Corps of Cadets class of '90. My dad was 59 and his dad was '32. Jennifer was a non reg class of '93 and her dad was Corps class of '68. We have a bit of family history there next to the Brazos. I owned a classic car restoration/ used car lot in Snook for a number years as well. We consider that area home.

I took 8 days off work. Basically continuing my pattern this year of spending every holiday and day off I can arrange to go get, move around and now work on this truck and the others that provide parts. Thankfully, I had clear skies and little wind the last week and a half. Now we have rain. Which we really need around here. At least I wasn't planning to paint today. Anyway, with the rain and the forecast for more. I loaded the Cowdog up on the trailer and took it back to my class today. Tomorrow is back to work to catch up on all I have missed.

While loading parts that have been in storage in the other vehicles. I noticed the rain gutters on the '89 and '90 suburbans were body color instead of chrome. Without even looking, I walked off and came back with a 7/32's open end to remove them. I really hate those stupid little bolts that only an open end will fit on. I was very happy to find Chevy switched to Torx for those. This is one of the few times I can say something good about a Torx fastener and wanted to pass it on.

My summer work spree is over. 3 weeks to change from this to this:

Attachments

richingalveston

most of my family is A&M graduates. My sister graduated in 90. she was an 'industrial distribution' major.
my cousin would have graduated the core in 87 or 88 but quit when he finished his junior year and never went back.
I was a freshman in 89, only made it one semester then went to blinn in 90 before moving in 91.

I was not a good student.
Funny that I am a General contractor for them now. I just finished painting the halls of Harrel, Leonard and Lacey. you may have been in one of those core dorms.
Rich

Last edited:

Barrman

I already stated that the fenders and hood would be done later for several reasons. However, I got home from work today and it was raining and 73°. Almost cold around this time of year here. So I pulled the fenders out of the horse barn and ground off all the bolts that had spinning captured nuts to separate the inner fenders. Everything got hosed off and sanding will start over the weekend.

Pulling the Silverado badges off reminded me I need to get 7 of those plugs the CUCV trucks had. I know there have been discussions about them but I can't find them or come up with their exact name. Anybody remember?

Thanks, Tim

Barrman

No, there are some plastic pieces that fit in those holes. I just can't seem to find the name or a source for them. they just go in the holes that the badges are supposed to go in.

We started school back today. My students over and over walked into class, stopped as they saw the Cowdog and then would walk real slow over to it. I learned first thing this morning that for some reason they all think they have to feel the paint. So, I started waiting without saying a thing until the hand would start to move. Then say "don't touch!"

Another Ahab

We started school back today. My students over and over walked into class, stopped as they saw the Cowdog and then would walk real slow over to it. I learned first thing this morning that for some reason they all think they have to feel the paint. So, I started waiting without saying a thing until the hand would start to move. Then say "don't touch!"
Wow. You all start the school year early.

You're a teacher: maybe tell them "Touch!", and then ask "What are you thinking?".

Maybe!?

Barrman

We are actually a year round school. I teach 14-19 year old convicted juvenile criminals for the State of Texas. Since the state only pays for teaching kids 183 days a year. They have to work in a few days of no class every so often. The last two weeks were our "summer break." That is why I was able to do all the body work at home. Of course, I had to take time off to do it.

I have learned asking them what they are thinking brings responses I don't always want to hear. Or know about.

richingalveston

Many years ago (1991 and 92) I worked a few days in the juvenile facility in giddings. I worked for national guardian and we had the contract for the fire system monitoring and some of the card readers. I had to do some work in what they told me was the worst area. It was really strange working among people so young that had done some really bad things and I was in my twenties.

I had no problems other than having to get searched, have all my tools inventoried and photographed before entering and when leaving.
My hats off to you for what you do. They have to pay the price but still need to learn something while they are there.

I will definitely come see the work once it gets home or when it makes it here to college station. hope you TAMU trip went well.
Truck looks great.

All three of my cucv's had steel rivets in those holes in the front fender. No plastic pieces.

Rich

Another Ahab

We are actually a year round school. I teach 14-19 year old convicted juvenile criminals for the State of Texas.

I have learned asking them what they are thinking brings responses I don't always want to hear. Or know about.
You're a good man. Teaching might be the most important job there is.

I hear what you're saying about asking questions, but it's sad when kids can't let their ideas get out. What are you going to do?

The most important people in history you could say were all teachers: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Buddha, Jesus. You get counted among them. Cheers!

cucvrus

No, there are some plastic pieces that fit in those holes. I just can't seem to find the name or a source for them. they just go in the holes that the badges are supposed to go in

I have anodized black aluminum smash rivets that fit perfect in the holes. I used many of them. Freebies if you want some. Just let me know. I also use them to put the vin tag back in the door jam and the nomenclature on the drivers door. They are excellent for this.

Barrman

I must have just missed you here then Rich. I started working here 22 years ago today.

The rivets would work. I will keep looking for a while for the plastic things. The look just like the inserts put into drywall for screws to thread into. Except they are a clear/yellowish plastic.

I put the barn door seals on a week ago this morning. Even with the hinges all the way out, the doors were very hard to close and harder to open. So hard to open that I had to install the handle to push the latch. Now they have sat closed for a week and they close with just a slight push and open a little easier. I hope they keep settling in so I can bring the hinges in a bit.

Speaking of the handles. Any suggestions for prep to the handles so they will take green paint? I was just thinking of scuffing and shooting but I don't think it will stay very long.

cucvrus

DSCF7433.jpgDSCF7434.jpgDSCF7435.jpgThese are the push pin rivets I used to put i the fender holes on my rebuilds. They are about as close as I could find to the OEM style rivets. I also like the black smash rivets. I have NO pictures of them but they are put in the hole and a heel dolly or hammer is put on the inside and the outside is hammered with an air hammer. Just wanting to help out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the Vegas truck I scuffed the chrome handles and used the auto trim black. They seemed to chip every time I even looked at them. A q-tip touched them up nicely. It would be nice it there was a way to remove the chrome.

I also used the same paint on the vent windows. The black is not flat and more of s semi-gloss. It made them stand out yet disappear. Many of the older GM cars had the same look.

Last edited:

Barrman

We have a new school schedule starting this week. One of those alternating day things. I have students all day, but only see the same students every other day. Yesterday I had a student scuff one of the handles up and tomorrow I will get him to shoot some 383 from a spray can on it. I will have him do another one in black and see which one I like better.

I didn't have time to take any pictures last night. Maybe tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks