• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 700r4 swap, gauge install, misc. repairs

Iceman3005

View attachment 504820View attachment 504827View attachment 504826View attachment 504825View attachment 504824View attachment 504823View attachment 504822View attachment 504821View attachment 504819View attachment 504828

Installed a transmission drain plug, I don't know why the manufactures have never done this. It really irritates me, especially when I get covered in transmission fluid while training to remove the pan. I also installed the torque convertor lock up pressure solenoid, the pressure sensor, and the wiring. Installed the new filter, pan gasket, transmission pan, followed by the torque convertor inspection cover.

All that is left is the front and rear drive shaft, transmission cooler lines, the external torque convertor lock-up wiring, and the TV cable bracket install, the TV cable hook-up, and fill all the fluids.

Attachments

Last edited:

amgeneral72

How much longer is the 700r4 than the 400
Wanting to do a conversion on my m1031. I have a fresh 4L80E just need the electronic controller box about 100$ but not sure if i want use it or just build a 700. Did you have to shorten the drive shaft?

Iceman3005

How much longer is the 700r4 than the 400
Wanting to do a conversion on my m1031. I have a fresh 4L80E just need the electronic controller box about 100$ but not sure if i want use it or just build a 700. Did you have to shorten the drive shaft?
The 700r4 is a 1/2 an inch longer, but the rubber bushing in the cross-member take up the additional length without having to drill new holes in the frame. The drive shafts remain the same length.

Iceman3005

Its finally done, did the test drive and it drove really nice. just have a couple of things to adjust and it will be 100% done.

SForce

Excellent and very helpful post Iceman. Could you post a few photographs of the engine compartment with the transmission cable connected to the throttle bracket. Also, how difficult is it to adjust the transmission cable to ensure it is shifting properly? Thanks.

Iceman3005

Sorry I haven't got back to your questions, I have been swamped. As for the pics of the engine bay and the video, as of right now I can't since the truck is gone, but if I meet up with FSMO again, which I am sure I will, I will get the pic and some video.

As for the cable adjustment it is pretty simple, hook it up to the pump, then manually press the injection pump throttle by hand till it is all the way open. You should then hear several audible clicks coming from the TV cable that is attached to the bracket at the back of the motor, if no clicks then you have the wrong cable or something is wrong inside the valve body. That is all that is necessary to have a properly adjusted TV cable. If it makes the customer feel safer it can be taken one step further and hook a pressure gauge into the governor port and check the pressures at idle, full throttle, and then while driving at certain speeds according to the GM 700r4 tech manual. I don't remember the pressures or speeds of the top of my head but my tech book has them if you want them. If the pressures are within spec then TV cable is good to go. But usually doing that extra step is not necessary if the shift points are as follows with lite to moderate throttle: 1st-2nd should happen at 10-15mph, 2nd to 3rd should happen at 20-25, 3rd to 4th should happen at 40-45, followed by lock-up.

Ackevor

Thank you for all the pictures and making it easier to see that this can be done.

I called a local shop to get a quote about them building and swapping my TH400 for a 700r4 in my 86 M1008. The guy said it will be worse than doing a gear swap because so much needs to be replaced (drive-shaft, cross member, tailstock, transfer case.. etc) his words. I tried to say lots of guys here have done it but he seemed unsure but will look at it today and give me a quote. They are a reputable shop and really know transmissions but have no experience doing a swap like this on this truck. I would rather do it myself but I know I will never find the time, and Living in PA, I cant get it to you easily enough even though I would prefer it.

So is it safe to say this guy should be able to do it without having to replace all the items mentioned above? I have gotten bits and pieces from several threads over the past few months, some say drive-shaft needs adjusted (just put a brand new one on), some dont, others say new TC and some dont . Can you point me to a thread where you have a parts list of whats changed or at least a list you know is correct? I know you have done several and I would be more comfortable seeing whats needed in a list written by you .

In your experience Iceman, is it cheaper and more beneficial to do the trans swap or gear swap? I think this guy is going to lean towards swapping gears.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Trans swap is cheaper. I could come get the truck and do the swap for you. There would be a pickup and delivery charge, but if the shop your working with doesn't know what they are doing it might cost you more for them to do it, then to have me come pick it up swap it then deliver it back to you. What parts do you have?

The drive shafts do not need to be changed, nor does the crossmember. Yes a new torque convertor is a must for it to properly work with the 6.2. You will need a different transfer case that will bolt to the 700r4. Do you have a m1008 or m1028?

Ackevor

Trans swap is cheaper. I could come get the truck and do the swap for you. There would be a pickup and delivery charge, but if the shop your working with doesn't know what they are doing it might cost you more for them to do it, then to have me come pick it up swap it then deliver it back to you. What parts do you have?

The drive shafts do not need to be changed, nor does the crossmember. Yes a new torque convertor is a must for it to properly work with the 6.2. You will need a different transfer case that will bolt to the 700r4. Do you have a m1008 or m1028?
Thanks for getting back to me!

I have a M1008

No parts yet, I was calling several local shops to see what they can do as far as build and swap. So far no numbers yet but one shot has 2 700r4's laying around in his parts shed. Im going to start calling around for prices at salvage yards.

Can you PM quotes on pickup and delivery (16415 Fairview, PA) as well as what you will charge to do the swap?

If I cant find all the parts, and or I dont get any of them, what do you have available or access to that you can add to the bill?

I know if I had the time I would be able to swap it myself, I just have way to much going on right now. Aside from the swap I plan to build a flat bed after I recoat the frame with POR15 and clean up any trouble lines while bed is off. Fix cab body up as well and replace glow plugs + card.

As it is now the truck runs excellent with 70k miles and my main priority is using it to haul small trailer of ATV's, misc equipment, and random loads of wood from time to time. I have no problem going 55 locally but we often go on 2 to 8 hour drives to transport the ATV's and that can make a long trip all the worse.

Please ask anything you need, I am on Active Duty until the 20th and will be available anytime afterwards. Until then I use my free time researching info on this.

Thanks again,

Paul

Last edited:

M1008BOV

Great thread Jeff!

Paul,
Pulling a small trailer with ATV's, at highway speeds, you might not get the best use out of that setup. The 6.2 probably doesn't have the umph to maintain OD gear without frequently shifting to 3rd. 3rd gear is the same 1:1 at 3rd in your TH400 and if it is shifting a lot defeats it's purpose and will burn up that 700. 2cents

I could be wrong, I've had that trans with other vehicles with similar power, but not the 6.2 itself. Maybe others could chime in.

M1008BOV

I really wanted to do the NV4500 swap, but finding all the parts, pedals, and then having a shifter smacking my daughter's car seat when she's in there with us is making the 700 swap more likely.

You're actually only a few hours north of me and I have a lot of family in your area. I found your FB page, so I'll keep you in mind when I decide what I want to do.

Iceman3005

Great thread Jeff!

Paul,
Pulling a small trailer with ATV's, at highway speeds, you might not get the best use out of that setup. The 6.2 probably doesn't have the umph to maintain OD gear without frequently shifting to 3rd. 3rd gear is the same 1:1 at 3rd in your TH400 and if it is shifting a lot defeats it's purpose and will burn up that 700. 2cents

I could be wrong, I've had that trans with other vehicles with similar power, but not the 6.2 itself. Maybe others could chime in.

Your welcome!

As for pulling a trailer, mine doesn't downshift on level ground or small hills. Only down shifts on steep hills. I had a load of wood last year, truck and trailer grossed 13,000 lbs. Truck rarely downshifted at 55mph. A very low stall torque convertor will help keep it from having to downshift, mine is 1200 rpm stall.

Iceman3005

I really wanted to do the NV4500 swap, but finding all the parts, pedals, and then having a shifter smacking my daughter's car seat when she's in there with us is making the 700 swap more likely.

You're actually only a few hours north of me and I have a lot of family in your area. I found your FB page, so I'll keep you in mind when I decide what I want to do.
I will be doing another 700r4 install on Friday, your more than welcome to come up and check it out.

M1008BOV

Thanks for the offer. I'd take you up on it, but I've been home with my sick daughter the last couple of days. I do need to get up there soon though, my aunt that lives down the road from you was kicked by a horse and shattered her leg, need to come visit and check on them. If I make it up that way, I'll get a hold of you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks