• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 axles have water in them.

84cucv1ton

M1008 axles have water in them. Need a little help

The rear wheel cylinders leaking. So I pulled apart to replace it. Definitely has some water in it. Front axle is the same. The truck has 29,000 miles on it. The wheel Cylinder soaked the shoes. New shoes are pretty cheap and as far as I know there's no way to get the fluid off them.
After I get the rear axle Done. I'm going to take the wheel bearings off the front to make sure everything's okay. Is there anything else I should do while I'm there? going to be using this truck everyday. Want to make sure it's solid. Thanks for the help guys. Have a good Saturday

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just check your bearings closely for damage. Replacing wheel seals is cheap insurance. I just purchased completely new brakes off one of the NOS axles from Hillbilly Wizard. Great price

84cucv1ton

seals will be here monday. took the 60 apart. things look ok. was hoping to get this done today. guy at the part store said. spray the shoes with brake cleaner. sand them some and reuse them.. never heard of this before. has anyone else?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given enough brake cleaner, yes I've seen them reused. Depends on how soaked they are. I think metalic shoes are less likely to get saturated then conventional asbestos shoes.

84cucv1ton

parts store told me 90 for shoes.:-| call hillybilly see what he says. ill feel better with new ones. want to take this apart just one time. waiting till monday anyway now.. thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on the gear oil and no additives. HBW is selling complete rear brakes for $99. Drums, backing plates cable everything.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
seals will be here monday. took the 60 apart. things look ok. was hoping to get this done today. guy at the part store said. spray the shoes with brake cleaner. sand them some and reuse them.. never heard of this before. has anyone else?
I've soaked brake shoes in gas to clean them.

Let them sit in the sun or heat them after to make sure the oil is washed out. The heat will make any residual oil come to the surface.

Westech

CPL
The only issue I see with using NOS brake parts is that they are 20+ years old. Things age and the new friction material of new age shoes is 100 times batter then the old stuff. Just like engine oil you would not use stuff that is 20 years old.

K9Vic

guy at the part store said. spray the shoes with brake cleaner. sand them some and reuse them.. never heard of this before. has anyone else?
This is what is known as resurfacing the brake shoes/pads. I actually had this conversation with my mechanic Saturday about those "just" brake shops that say they will do it for $99 and in the end it is like $500. He explained to me that it takes off the shinny surface of the brake material to give it a rough surface to help even out the metal rotors/drums. It is a cop out attempt for these service centers to make extra $$ on people that do not know what they really are doing. It may or may not work to even out a warped rotor/drum. The do this with say pads that are still good and charged a stupid fee to sand them for 10-20 seconds and call them resurfaced. Still if you are working on your pads it is not a bad idea to do this, but any warped rotors/drums should be replaced or machined even.

84cucv1ton

i had to throw it back together. i needed it late monday. my other chevy cant carry that much weight. late Thursday im taking it apart. have new shoes, seals. i can get the drums cut at a friends place. have it done the right way soon

84cucv1ton

im a good ways from home in my 108. i needed this truck so i put it together. going to do it right when i get home tonight. anyway passenger side rear hub is ok. driver side is much warmer. i have no tools here. i did the bearing the way i was showed too. tighten the nut down till its a good bit hard to turn back up to the first slot put the key in and your good. done it before. never a problem. think i might need to by a tool set check it out. bearings looked fine. no rust or pitting. ideas? thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS. John picked up a bunch of new rear axles. Theses were removed for disc brake conversions. I really needed new backing plates and cables. The rest is bonus. We will see how good the military preservation methods have worked.

PETE BALLARD

NOS. John picked up a bunch of new rear axles. Theses were removed for disc brake conversions. I really needed new backing plates and cables. The rest is bonus. We will see how good the military preservation methods have worked.
How true/ sounds loke a smoking deal! I guess l will have to contact him for a couple