• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cracked head gaskets, runs fine, fix? Or engine swap?

Wolf.Dose

The rear right side of the right head. An issue as old as the engine. Too many of them have the problem. Looks like a systematic assembly problem. Propperly rebuilt engines do not have the problem any more.

Wolf

Keith_J

Sounds like a good DIY project. It isn't hard, just time consuming. At the bare minimum, replace head gaskets and use ARP head stud kit. Follow the -34 TM , keeping pushrod orientation known, a paint marker is good. A good pressure wash of the heads and dye penetrant test will show cracking. Inspect around valves, pre combustion chambers and water jacket. Active leaks will be seen on removal.

Kishmael07

You can click my name (Sharecropper) and start a private conversation. Hit me up and I’ll give you all my contact information to schedule a time for y’all to drive the truck over to Paris. It will be helpful to know more about what was done to your truck before you got it. Is the seller a current or past member of Steel Soldiers?
I'm not sure if the previous owner was a member or not. I'm going to guess not. The truck came from Georgia and I think he may have bought it just because the truck was a square body. He told us mainly about what all he had upgraded on the truck. Not sure if he was an enthusiast on military vehicles though. And yes! Once we get it back and can find a time that's good for you I think that would be great! Much appreciated for the offer!!

2INSANE

Woah! 3 pages! 😂 I just wanna know what temperature your temperature gauge reads when on a long drive? I say if it’s running great then drive it like you stole it! Case closed!

Or tell the shady mechanic $12,000 and it’s his and buy a much cheaper one and pocket the profits!

Skinny

Temp gauge? My trucks came with a speedo and fuel gauge and you are lucky if one of them reads close to right.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

911joeblow

Notice how these almost always fail in the back? These engines overheat at the back due to the way the coolant flows internally. You need a balance kit to keep the temps in check so these failures stop happening. Here is what the CUCV kit looks like...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks