• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Front End "Death Wobble"

JG Sky Soldier

Guys, I need your Help…. I have a M1008 That Is Trying
To KILL Me…

Problem: The Front End “Death Wobble”
I purchased what I thought was a solid truck and when I
Got it home, going through checking everything, starting
driving it… Then the: Death Wobble”. On a 10 scale I would
say a 9. Scared my dog and I to near death….. It happens
nearly every time I try to drive….

When: -Seem to happen mostly in a curve when I hit a rough
place or pot hole.
-Speed 35-40 mph (I am scared to drive it faster.)
-It has happened on a straight road also when I
hit a rough area… (Does not have to be very rough.)
-The steering sector was a bit loose.. 3/16” or so…

What I Have Done:
-On a Two post lift, I have removed the steering sector.
-Checked the frame for a break or crack…. Non Found…
-Checked the sector mounting holes… Not enlarged…
-Reinstalled / tighten sector….
-Checked Trunion joints…. Secure, tight, not loose,
no play….
-Checked all steering components… All tight, secure.
-Tires are @ 45 PSI, (235-75/16 E).
-Tires are reasonably balanced… 60-70% tread…
-Steering shock removed...checked…seems fine..
-Checked all springs mounts… U bolts, etc. seem fine..

ANY SUGGESTUION….. NEED HELP……

I Would Appreciate Any Thoughts / Help
Thanks.....

John gentrygrou@aol.com

Decatur, AL
(2) M35A2C
(4) M1009
(1) M1008
(2) M1010
(4) M101A1\
(3) M105A2
(2) M116A2 W/Gen Set

AJMBLAZER

Have a tire shop check to see if the tires are still round.

When I first got Big Ugly it had 36" HMMWV bias plies on it. Got deathwobble like you wouldn't believe. Wife was afraid of it. Tires were horribly out of round. I put the Michelin radials I have on it now on and whalla, problem went away instantly.

Just a thought if the tires are old and/or used or abused at some point.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A worn out steering stabilizer sometimes contributes to a wobble, especially right after heavy braking.

ohfisherman

wobble

replace the steering shock. get a monroe one that has a lifetime warranty. my k10 chews through them. sold autoparts for nine years. always had a rule of thumb on those shocks--even if it seems fine still replace it.

AJMBLAZER

The steering stabilizer shouldn't do anything other than mask a problem that's already there. In fact, remove it and drive the truck. See if the problem got worse.

1stDeuce

Death wobble... Eeek. Basically, you start with checking all the things that are listed here and fix whatever you can and hopefully it'll go away. Adding steering dampers doesn't kill it, it masks it at best... In order of greatest effect: Tire balance/out of round, Loose kingpins, minimal caster, incorrect toe, steering box play...

If you have play in the sector shaft, you need to get that improved. You can adjust the preload on the steering gear a little with the nut and stud on top of the box... Go a little at a time, 1/2 turn in of the stud is a lot!! Once that play is less, check all the joints out, then the tires... You'll get it!
Chris

85-m1028

I have noticed the stock springs can get slightly inverted when worn and cause a zero castor condition. Adding some and castor "moving the lower portion of the yoke out toward the front of the truck a degree or two" can help.

Also getting some new bushings for your sway bar.

AJMBLAZER

They're slightly inverted when they're new.

The swaybar shouldn't affect this at all other than to magnify a problem. I don't even have a swaybar.

Racky

I agree with jeepin. A frind of mine had the same problem on a k30 dually. We took the whole front end apart. The bearings were good so we just cleaned and repacked them and installed new seals. The king pins were good and not pitted. So we replaced the teflon cups and the springs greased up everything with synthetic greese and we reassembled. Guess what problem all gone.

Racky

dependable

I had an occasionel death wobble in a 1008, started if I hit a pothole. Everything checked out tight. I knew the steering knuckle u joints were pretty bad with missing needle bearings in one side, but figured they could not be the problem as the hubs were unlocked, but when I replaced them, the problem dissapeared.

JG Sky Soldier

THANKS Guys.... I will check A few More Things.... I will change new front shocks.... Install a new steering shock (I already have one).... Then will put two new tires on the front...
Will post if we get a fix.....

jkade72

Mine was doing the same thing and I replaced the steering shock and the problem went away. It was a skyjacker brand that I got from summit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks