• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Fuel Mileage (vs 1009)

Ok, so M1009's with 3.08 gears are reported to make as much as 27 mpg highway (Alfa Heaven claims that, at least on units with 36's on the 3.08 axles.)

I have a 6.2 sub with 160K and a banks turbo that makes 19 min. out of each tank.

How bad is it for the M1008's with the 4.56 gears? And with 36's?

Any info appreciated. I have to make some decisions on how to proceed with the bub.

peace
Dave

SsjSned

Hmmm not 100% sure Ive heard its around 16mpg with 36"s. How does Alfa Heaven bolt on 36" tires without a lift or fender trimming? I didnt think anything over 33" would fit.

well, that leads me to another question... I should like to a pic here, but I was hoping someone might be able to figure out what He is using for a wheel on the M1009's. six lug, deep dish, plain steel, 16.5" Not sure if maybe he is taking the 1008 rim and the 1009 center and welding them up, or what...
thanks for the info,

peace
Dave

CCATLETT1984

you can tuck 35" with around a 2" lift
I get 20mpg with 285 series tires ( around a 31")

I just got the spacers for the truck to run the humvee rims, will post mileage data once the lift and the tires are on.
I will prolly be running 37" or 40" tires though.

I downloaded one of the photos of (edit - someone's) Humvee wheels on their 1008 shortly after they posted it... keeping a dossier of info to keep me motivated to bring the diesel suburban back to life. It will probably be a better and more expedient program than finding a 1009 for now.

the 700 took the final poop in my diesel bub. I am tired of 700's (no offense intended to anyone, I also have a gas sub with 190K on it and the original 350 and 700 are doing yeoman's duty, and they have not let me down. other than that stupid computer...)

I have an 84 3/4 ton parts truck with a 4 speed, 208, and 4.10's
I will definitely be converting the truck to the 4-speed, and my 208 is all buzzed to death inside. So that is a given there... the cab is very good and will be dandy for ebay or the local paper. Another pickup box trailer is always handy, and I have plenty of half-ton 3.08 axles I can put under the trailer.

I will be using humvee tires, on plain steelies. I simply am trying to decide if I use the chevy 3/4 ton 4.10's or a set of dodge 3/4 ton 3.54's all things being equal there is a .86 ratio between the 3.54 and the 4.10 (ie; 'x' RPM with 4.10 = 52 mph or with 3.54 = 60 mph)
Anyone got M10XX grille guard, front bumper, rear bumper they want to off-load?

peace
Dave

CCATLETT1984

If you are going to run the four speed (assuming that its not an overdrive) I would go with the 3.54's and match them up front. for the transfer case, you could get a np 203 and do the part time conversion to it. Or you could get a 205 and never worry about the t-cse again. I am putting a doubler t-case in mine. (Its the gearbox portion of a 203 mated to a np205 t-case) It allows for a 4.0:1 low-low-range.

I will be swapping axles at both ends, I have matched sets of each. And they are part of the 8-lug swap anyway (the diesel bub is a 1/2 ton)

I will just use the 208 behind the 465 4spd, simply because I have it all and it is a no-brain fix. This will not be a hard-core wheeler by any stretch of the imagination. All-Terrain Adverse Condition People Mover. (also tow-rig, base camp, etc.)

The stock 235/75-15 tires and stock 3.73 gears in the bub give 60 mph at approx. 2080 RPM.
The 36's with the 1:1 4th, and 3.54's give an identical cruise situation.
With the 4.10's, 60 MPH = 2350 RPM (approx)

I currently feel that the 3.54's will be the ones I use. I think the turbo will allow the truck to pull down the road just fine, and the much much much deeper first in the 465 will make the truck just dandy for getting through the rough bits.

peace
Dave

excellent
that is one of the photos taped to the shop wall right now

what application are those wheels from, i am dying to know...

and just for info, I never doubted him knowing his stuff for one second.. if I had the dough, I would simply write the check for either of the listed 1009's right now.

peace
Dave

motorolanut

My M1009 Blazer with 31/10.50/15's, 6.2 diesel, stock 308 gears, averaged about 18-22 mpg highway
at 55 to 60 mph. Around 15 mpg city driving. Hey not to bad for 80's technology.

rizzo

my 1008 gets 13.6 MPG with 35" tires. I drive it at 58MPH (the speedo says 55MPH) I had it up to 65 on the highway today by accident. I don't know what the RPMs are but it sounds like it is screaming.

rizzo

Re: RE: M1008 Fuel Mileage (vs 1009)

CCATLETT1984 said:
you can tuck 35" with around a 2" lift
I get 20mpg with 285 series tires ( around a 31")

I just got the spacers for the truck to run the humvee rims, will post mileage data once the lift and the tires are on.
I will prolly be running 37" or 40" tires though.
My MPG is way less than yours. any ideas?

M1075

If you run larger tires, you impact the reading of your speedometer. If you run larger tires, do you also impact the reading of your odometer??? If your tire diameter is 15% larger, then aren't you traveling 15% faster and 15% farther with the same revolutions? I have always thought about that.

peyton

M1075 said:
If you run larger tires, you impact the reading of your speedometer. If you run larger tires, do you also impact the reading of your odometer??? If your tire diameter is 15% larger, then aren't you traveling 15% faster and 15% farther with the same revolutions? I have always thought about that.
Which brings up an interesting point. Does anyone know the tire size for which the 1008/1009 odometers were originally calibrated? From there you could figure out your true mileage.

Peyton

Well that makes me feel silly. I hadn't even thought of the odometer changing. I run 285's also, how much did it change your speedo readings, CCatlett? The one time I was able to check it was approximately 2-3 mph faster than what the speedo showed.

I guess that would add up during the course of running a tank of fuel out. I'm not real good with math, but since the speedo is reading slow, that means there would be less miles than actual on the odometer as well, right? Meaning I am getting more mpg than the figures show just using the odometer/gallons filled at each tank? I get anywhere from 10-15 mpg using those figures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks