• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Fuel Mileage (vs 1009)

rizzo

Zinlu said:
Well that makes me feel silly. I hadn't even thought of the odometer changing. I run 285's also, how much did it change your speedo readings, CCatlett? The one time I was able to check it was approximately 2-3 mph faster than what the speedo showed.

I guess that would add up during the course of running a tank of fuel out. I'm not real good with math, but since the speedo is reading slow, that means there would be less miles than actual on the odometer as well, right? Meaning I am getting more mpg than the figures show just using the odometer/gallons filled at each tank? I get anywhere from 10-15 mpg using those figures.
I didn't think of that either, my GPS shows me going 58 when the needle is on 55. I have just a hair under 35" tires.

I would think that 35's would put the speedo off more than 3mph.

so maybe I'm getting better mileage.

WELL. I have a diesel 1/2 ton suburban up in the air on the hoist.. and the dodge axles I -WAS- going to use on stands beneath the truck.

Turns out my memory is more 'rusty' than some of my wagoneers.. the Dodge front axle is 33inch spring center pin to spring center pin... the Chebby stuff is 31.5 (or so). I had this (Dodge) axle under a wag... I must have leaned and groaned and pried a lot to get the spring pins to pop...

SO. it is decision time because I want to take my oldest son wheeling THIS weekend... half-ton 3.08's and run some nearly bald 35's ( I am certain the truck would pull the gears just fine, but I would have to find some old fashioned 6-lug 16.5's or figure out what Alfa Heaven is using on their 1009's so that i could eventually get the 36's on... that is an importan part of the program to me.)
OR light-duty 3/4 ton (84 semi-float 9.5 ring gear 14bolt - NOT the big 10.5 FF 14B) 4.10's and 36's from the get-go.

personally I -want- to run the 3/4 ton parts, but I -need- to keep at least my 19-ish MPG...
CCATLETT - your 20MPG is encouraging.. you seem 100% certain of your numbers... and any further updates on your 36's & HMMVW wheels swap?

Anyone else with solid numbers for 1008's which are anywhere near CCATLETT's? (i hope i hope i hope i hope)

Thanks for all the input sofar, and any further info.

peace
Dave

2deuce

I just got my M1009 last spring from a wildlife refuge. I took it on a trip up to Seattle from just south of Portland hauled about 400lbs back, got stuck in some traffic but ran 90% freeway. Got exactly 20mph. Its all stock. The speedo was right on with the speedo checks.

CCATLETT1984

I have the wheel spacers on, hoping to maybe get a set of rims this weekend in Clare. I had to take a hammer and tap back the lip of the front fenders about a 1/4" to avoid rubbing with the suspension compressed and turning.

CCATLETT1984

on a side note-- the truck seems to ride better with the spacers on, I am guessing in part due to the fact that my track width is wider and a little due to the fact that the aluminium probably has a little "give".

21 is very repectable, cobra, thanks for posting...

the truck is on the ground again, off the hoist, and outside. tomorrow / this weekend I will change the front clip and front doors, and while the fenders are off I can get the clutch pedal finished.

anyone got a 465 behind a 6.2? i tried briefly to start the bub after i got it outside, to hear if there were any weird noises, etc... BUT i just get the 'grind / zing' of a starter that needs to be shimmed. hopefully that is all, the flywheel and flexplate both appear to be normal 168-tooth GM stuff..
I doubt it is anything but a shimming issue, but if anyone has been down this road, I would like to hear your experiences as well (bonus points if you used your normal automatic starter on the stick application)

I was going to post this over at colorado K5.. but I must not be able to start a thread since I am a free member at this time..

thanks again, gents.

peace
Dave

6.2 owners / swappers, take note;
the 6.2's use a 10-pitch tooth on the starter drive, and the flywheel ring gear / flexplate.
Gassers use a 12-14 pitch. No Workee!
The gas starter drive will NOT go onto a 6/2 starter.
Also, the angled bolt pattern of the 6.2 starter is not the same as the angled bolt pattern of the gas V8 starter (they are approx. 1/8 inch different, enough to see, and that was all the info I needed, so I did not measure)

I may try to add a 'straight-across' bolt hole and use a hotrod mini-starter rig, but I am iffy about it...

peace
Dave

cobra

Yea that is imperial, not bad i don't think, but for the tweaking i had to do, it was 18 before, but 21 vs. 18 works out in the long ruin. pm me for the info

400 mile trip this weekend, 4.10's / 36's / 465 manual trans gave 14 mpg. not too bad... but i will likely order some 16.5 6-lug wheels and put the 3.08's under the bub.. 4.10 x .76 (th700 OD ratio) = 3.11 to 1. i am convinced the truck would pull the gears, so, when i can fit it in....

peace
Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks