• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 pintle hitch

Asgar

For my stock truck...
On the pintle: For 600 mile round trip highway towing at 50-60mph I like to keep it to less than 4500#. Usually with surge brakes but sometimes electric. Anything over 3000# is tough in the moutains of Vermont and New Hampture. (hitting the bottom of the 10+% grade at 60 lets me pull up it at 55 or so, hitting grade at 55 drags me back down to 35mph screeming in 2nd gear. If you accept the slow drive it goes ok.

Locally, 50 mph on the highway, I 'often' put 1.5 yards, 3500# in my m101a2 and 1.5 yards, 3500# in the bed, giving a combined wieght of 6700 or so truck and trailer and 7000 payload. This is gravel so I have wieght tickets. There is still an inch or so of spring left and yes, just a straight m1008 and A101a2, not heavy springs.

The heaviest ever was a 4k trailer with a 5k machine, but that was just a few miles on local roads.

With a heavy bed load the front end will unload and lock up the front breaks early and easily and you start to loose stearing control.

On the 2" reciever tube welded directly to the thick steel under the bumper I have had no issues pulling 4- 5K# at the normal slow pace. Brakes are fine etc. Biggest problem is staying awake grinding down the highway at 50-55mph.

idM1028

They'll handle a good bit of weight. I once towed a full size Bronco with a dead engine using the holes on the "step" of the bumper and a logging chain. Got a couple of pretty good jerks slowing down and going around corners, but no damage to either truck. The question I have is will these combo pintles/balls use the stock bolt holes or am I going to have to make my bumper look even more like swiss cheese? I definitely could have used one the other day.

KsM715

Originally Posted by bp m1009
is there any way to get something that bolts up to the factory hitch on a m1009 to convert it to a regular ball hitch? mine has that hitch that clamps like a mouth (i dont know wat its called im new to the cucv world)i want a regular ball hitch but i dont wanna buy a trailer hitch
Pintle hook pattern bolt-on receiver tube 2" I.D. # 1804055 "Trailer Parts Superstore" 49.95 shipping 16.00

This might work for you, will bolt on to where that mouth thing is.
You realize the post your refering to is 2 years old?

Asgar

I would rather think of this as a timeless classic.... the info may help the guy searching for info or reassurance... I find that my xmil trucks tend to look about the same dispite the passing years... in fact your red m715 (KSM715) avatar has not aged a bit since I first saw it!

or it could be my weeknights are really boring...

ok, I'll head up to bed, my wife will probably just roll over...

And I'll think about the M38 steering gear parts that I ordered from John Bizel that should arrive in time for the weekend...

And the alternator rebuild parts to fix my bad bearing in my CUCV this weekend....

and the parent teacher confernece i need to go to tomorrow night...

and cleaning out the chicken coop....

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed one M1009 with another M1009 136 miles using a medium military towbar...

I did buy one of those Reese 2" ball/pintle combo hitches and a Reese towbar as a "Plan B", but was able to hand receipt a brand new USGI tow bar from my Supply sergeant. Was going to mount the combo hitch, but it looked to be a b##ch to get to the OEM nuts behind the bumper plate, so I just used the USGI tow bar instead...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks