• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 won't start after 2 days of 30 ish at night

Jackel44

I guess I don't understand. Is the starter slow or not at all? My starter was slow for years when it gets about freezing. I just changed my starter to a gear reduction and wow what a difference. I think half my slow starting problems was my starter was old in the first place.

CUCVLOVER

I guess I don't understand. Is the starter slow or not at all? My starter was slow for years when it gets about freezing. I just changed my starter to a gear reduction and wow what a difference. I think half my slow starting problems was my starter was old in the first place.
OK. When it gets below about 31 the engine will turn over normally for about 3or 4 revolutions then it won't turn over at all when I check the batteries with a charger it says they are about 50 percent each. But if I start it every day not matter how cold it is it starts like a brand new one. I should have a load tester tomorrow.

CUCVLOVER

Last edited:

MasterSweeper

I think its time to drain the oil and filters each night and take it in the house with you to keep it warm. That is what the Germans had to do during the1942 Russian campaign of WII. That should work. Warm oil will start it on the first crank.
I doubt its the oil, my M1008 sat out side a few weeks ago when it was 18 degrees. I cycled the glow plugs one time and it fires right up. As said before check batteries, check battery cables, check starter.

CUCVLOVER

I doubt its the oil, my M1008 sat out side a few weeks ago when it was 18 degrees. I cycled the glow plugs one time and it fires right up. As said before check batteries, check battery cables, check starter.
I load tested them and both read good but it was not a digital tester it was analog with green and red marks i may pick up a new digital tester this week. I'll check the cables and starter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive to an auto parts store and let them test them for free.

Keith_J

The fuel filter base has an electric heater which is triggered by low temperatures. It should only heat when key is on but just in case, unplug it. It could drain battery voltage.

CUCVLOVER

The fuel filter base has an electric heater which is triggered by low temperatures. It should only heat when key is on but just in case, unplug it. It could drain battery voltage.
OK thanks I never thought about that I have seen the wires conected to something. going in the top of the filter base I check that out it should be real cold by the end of the week so that's the only time I can try that.

MtnSnow

If the batteries tested good and the vehicle starts just fine in the cold if started and ran every day then I would suggest that you have a electrical DRAIN/Load that is drawing down the batteries when the engine is off. One thing that can cause this is what Doghead mentioned at the very start of this thread...bad diodes in the alternator. Do this for a cheap test....once you have the batteries fully charged UNHOOK the battery cables at both batteries and don't try and start it for a couple of days...then hook the cables back up and if she starts just fine then you know you have a drain...

CUCVLOVER

If the batteries tested good and the vehicle starts just fine in the cold if started and ran every day then I would suggest that you have a electrical DRAIN/Load that is drawing down the batteries when the engine is off. One thing that can cause this is what Doghead mentioned at the very start of this thread...bad diodes in the alternator. Do this for a cheap test....once you have the batteries fully charged UNHOOK the battery cables at both batteries and don't try and start it for a couple of days...then hook the cables back up and if she starts just fine then you know you have a drain...
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried that yet. The only thing I can't figure out is that this happened a couple times las winter it was fine all summer and a few weeks back it got super cold and did it but its been in the 40's and 50's and the truck cranks fine. But I will try that in a day or 2 I've working so much I don't have time for much

CUCVLOVER

Well I guess its time for a after action report.
I guess the problem worked itself out. The truck has sat for the last three days and its been in the 20's at night and I just started and it cranked up like a brand new one.
I load tested the batts they read great, I have checked and tightened the main electrical cables coming from the batts and all is as it should be. Thanks for all your help everyone. I hope you had a happy Christmas and have a happy new year.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks