• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008A1 Gets a Lift!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rocky Mountain Suspension. They drop-ship everything.

Total cost for my order was about $850 ($100 of that was shipping)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! Now you can run the HMMWV tires on it without cutting holes in the fenders for steering clearance.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, this truck is rust free and I was not about to cut my fenders.

I really like the queitness of these Humvee tires. They ride smooth too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting find today. The inside of the tire was wet with BFS again.

I pulled the right front tire and brake caliper off. Sprayed it all down with BraKleen.

I found that the brake line banjo bolt was not tight(I could move the line on the caliper).

I tightened it and went to the other side and it was slightly loose also(it did move with some effort).

I set the right caliper back in place and will wait a day and see if everything looks dry.

I guess, even though I was very careful not to pull on the brake lines while installing the new front springs, I must have pulled them a bit.(just enough to move them and cause the leaking).

I do recall last year, as I installed the 2 new front calipers, that I didn't like the cheap looking solid copper washers(for the banjo bolt) that came with the calipers. The originals had concentric rings in the surfaces. I recall not feeling any squish, just a tight bolt.

Last edited:

Matt65

DH, I am considering doing the same lift /tires as well. Anxious to see how this truck performs off road. I want to make sure that no rubbing will occur. Let us know how it goes.

GamaGoatGirl

I drove it to work today. Wasn't passed by as many vehicles as it can now go 65 mph, I even got to pass a few! Got many looks, but now I can see into vehicles much easier! Had quite a collection of guys checking out my CUCV and asking questions. My boss even came out and gave it a good look over with many questions! The guys at work always said they wouldn't see me wearing a skirt and driving my lifted truck- well - I showed them today! The picture of just the truck is one that one of my co-workers took and posted on Facebook saying "Don't Mess with Amy!"

Attachments

Last edited:

BiggsChevys

doghead.....

to my understanding you never loosened your brake lines when you installed the lift...

my question would be... are the stock length brake lines relocated to compensate for the lift, or had you already installed extended lines....

the short length of the stock line may be stretching and getting pulled loose as the suspension travels..... worst case scenario, they pull themselves apart...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the rear brake line, I bent the flex-line bracket(also is the lower pivot point for the load sensing brake valve) up about 2-3". I also extended the control rod(bar) so that it works correctly. I have lifted the rear of the truck to let the suspension get to its max top travel, and the rear line is ok.

The front brake lines were replaced last year. they are stock length. I have jacked up one side of the axle, to get full twist and they seem long enough.

I don't currently plan of serious off-roading with this truck, as mentioned in the first post. The tires were added for road speed/engine speed reasons.

I'll keep an eye on everything for a while, to be sure.

Westech

CPL
brake lines off a 2500 2wd 1994 GM truck are a direct replacment and are 4 inches longer for the front. The rear NAPA can get a longer one with the correct ends I just dont remember the number. there like 9 bucks a pop CHEAP!!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dh and DHwife, at 65 mph, is the engine RPM within reason? As in around 2500 rpm? I am struggling to decide between the Wrangler MT mod and the stock rubber with a gear vendors overdrive.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, based on the advice from this thread, I've decided to give the 37" Wrangler MT mod a go. First order of business was finding the 8 hole 16.5 Budd wheels 8.5" wide. Found a set today at a local 4x4 shop. Have you ever seen tires more flat than these? 40" "Gumbo Monster Mudders", must be 1970's vintage. Gonna cut them up with the sawzall rather than ask my poor tire guy to fool with a dismount.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think those are real close to what I got on Ebay. Already have the rubber, just working on getting uber expensive rims home.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dh and DHwife, at 65 mph, is the engine RPM within reason? As in around 2500 rpm? I am struggling to decide between the Wrangler MT mod and the stock rubber with a gear vendors overdrive.

I gained about 9.5 mph at the same engine speed as before the tires.(GPS verified)

So, if you like the sound/rpm of a stock 1008 at 55 mph(about 2850rpm), thats what you'll have at 65mph(with the 37" tires).

I am pretty happy with it, for the cost and work involved.(I like the look too)

A true overdrive would be a very nice modification and probably would be a better choice if stock tires, height, lower RPM and better mileage is your goal.

Reactions: NDT
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks