• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 as a daily driver

bshupe

I have a 1031 with the contact box removed and I drive it every day to and from work. Its not a long drive so I dont get any real efficiency in mileage but I still only spend about $50-60/month on fuel.

As for the noise and speed issue, the best think I ever did was put the HMMWV take-off tires on. It is sooo smooth everywhere now and other than being a little more sluggish off the line it is fantastic. I was thinking I would have to do the o/d conversion also but after making the change that would just be a luxury item and not at all necessary.

DXTAC

I have been driving my 1009 daily by choice for several years. I also have a 2011 VW Jetta that I bought brand new and it just now has 9K on it (it's actually almost three). I just like the truck better period. The 1009 drives fine on the highway to about 65ish then gets a bit loud and reaching it's limits without fear of damage. I have stock size BF AT's, LMC shocks and no sound proofing or deadening materials. After I get the new rear floor pans and tailgate brace replaced I will be having Line-X sprayed on the entire floor. That should sound deaden quite a bit. I told the guy I wanted it thicker on the firewall and near the front. Just need to remember that it is NOT a speed demon and never will be. I truly get between 19 and 21 MPG depending on how I drive, highway or not. I have done a laundry list of things to it over the years to get it to where I want (like that will ever happen) but the major items include rebuilding the tranny and transfer case, new IP, injectors, glow plugs and front springs just to list a few. The ONLY time I relied on my Jetta for daily transportation is also the ONLY time my 1009 actually died on me and that's when the IP went out. I did have that job done because I wanted it done right and quickly. It was out of commission for 3 days. Other than that I have driven it daily every day under 90 degrees (no AC).

Hope this helps!!!

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Just to make this brief and to the point. I got my M1009 June 4th 2010, as a birthday present to myself.
It was a bit rough in the beginning, but since then I have done work to it, and had some work done to it.
Now for a long time now, it has been running well enough to be a daily driver, and gets better all the time,
especially with every upgrade, improvement, repair I do to it.

By the way, I also get about 20 MPG too, and I usually do not go over 65 mph, since I do not want to push
it past some sort of breaking point.

So I am very happy with it now... Thank God, it has been a rough start, but all is okay now, for now.

Just my $0.02 cents...

Hasdrubal

Hasdrubal: Link to this insulation? My job has me on the road a lot now, and spending hours on the highway in my M1009 has me wishing it was just a *bit* quieter.... I've got a rhino-lined floor and I wrapped the wheel wells in QuickRoof which helped a ton. At least, no more heart attacks whenever a rock gets stuck in the tire.
Dont know where it came from, got it from a guy I knew. Still have some in the garage. It might be boat carpeting or something like that. Its black, comes in a roll, its neoprene, the upper side is a short tight carpet, the bottom is smooth with an adhesive and a removable film. Peel and stick. I laid it out and cut the pieces to fit, sure you can see the seams on the central tunnel, but who cares, its not a Maybach. Hopes this helps.

BIG_RED

I've put 3 years and 21,000 Miles on my M1009. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I live practically in the arctic for 3 months of the year, so mine has 2 x 600 watt block heaters (one on each side). Starts up no problem. :)

shaker

I drive mine as a daily driver on long runs at 55mph I got 24 mpgs with stock tires and gearing now in town the mpgs drops I think i am getting about 14 mpgs. Now I was reading on the sun visor and it said run #2 diesel fuel for temps above 20 degrees so I was running low on fuel and put a half of tank in there and I have to admit the truck is running a lot better and it seems to have more power. In addition, to this my fuel mileage is seeming to be better, I will wait till payday and fill it completely up and get a better reading.

Saberr

Well i know this thread is old now, just thought i'd ask here since its what i'd like to know and bring the thread up to date. Any of you guys still dail driving your m1009 in 2020 ? If so how is it holding up, especialy with modern cars and trucks ? What kind of mpg you seeing ?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i know this thread is old now, just thought i'd ask here since its what i'd like to know and bring the thread up to date. Any of you guys still dail driving your m1009 in 2020 ? If so how is it holding up, especialy with modern cars and trucks ? What kind of mpg you seeing ?
Still

usabamaman

Mine is doing fine. It is time for it's first replacement set of front brake pads at 51,000 miles. It gets about 22 mpg at 50 to 55 mph. It was painted with CARC in 2014 and has been garaged since, so it still looks great. I am considering replacing it with something in the future that has air conditioning, the one thing I am really wishing it had. I am here this morning looking for reccomendations for brake pads, do you have any preference?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks