• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 as rugged reliable transportation candidate

HKjk

Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and seeking some advice from those currently operating the CUCV's (more specifically the M1009) on a regular basis.

My situation is this:
I am required to travel over 300 miles per week of unimproved gravel roads in the most remote parts of Maine for my job. Often these roads are not graded (the weather creates very poor road conditions), I encounter washouts, sinkholes, raised culverts (not fun at 50+mph), etc. I also encounter a few roads that I must travel prior to the snowplow (i.e. breaking trail). Currently I use a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted with a mild lift and 34"tires outfitted accordingly. The Wrangler is turning out to be a very weak vechicle, I have broke steering stabilizers, sway bar links, exhaust, bent axle housings, ball joints which last about 20,000 miles (two sets now), had fenders fall off and drag down the road, trans lines vibrate so much they seperate and blow. The list goes on ,and given the duty it sees maybe reasonably so.
My biggest issue is fuel mileage, traction, and reliability. The Wrangler averages about 11-13 mpg with it's current setup. Traction is good only because of the tires, weight(overloaded) and the lack of power. Reliability is descending fast and I expect maybe one more year out of it.
My question is whether or not a low mileage M1009 with upgraded 1 ton axles and outfitted to my preferences would be a suitable reliable candidate for this type of service?
I do not make enough money to be using new model year vehicles for them to last maybe three years before having major malfunctions.
thank you all in advance for advice and tips.
HKjk

Matt65

My question is whether or not a low mileage M1009 with upgraded 1 ton axles and outfitted to my preferences would be a suitable reliable candidate for this type of service?

Welcome to the Forum!

These trucks can be reliable. Just remember they are all 20+ years old. You probably won't be able to start driving it every day without a few new parts. It will probably need special attention on anything that is rubber. Make sure the electrical system is in could shape, and there are no un known modifications. Many people don't understand the electrical system and end up butchering the wiring. Make sure you do the Doghead Starter Modification. I also reccomend the Glow Plug resistor bypass.

Your in the right place though. Be sure to down load the TMs out of my signature. They are a TON of help, and written in such a way that is easy to follow.

txmytx_catahoula

:ditto: The reliability of these vehicles is dependant on your ability to work on them. Read through as many of the threads on the CUCV's as you can, as they have quite a few repeat pecularities, most of which are easy fixes. Good luck on your vehicle search.

SPCWarning

Welcome!

If you search hard enough you may find a 1009 for sale that's already set up like you need unless you'd rather do the mods yourself. They ARE very reliable but as the txmytx_catahoula and Matt65 stated, make sure it's ready and make sure you read, know, and understand the TM's.

I work in the Sahara Desert and we travel in '10 and '11 model Toyota D4D Diesel crew cab Hi-Lux pickups out there. It's about a 4 1/2 hour ride out over some harsh terrain and crappy roads. The ONLY other vehicle I believe could handle it is an MV. I've seen Diesel Mazda's, Diesel Ford Rangers (Euro-models, but only a couple), and one Dodge Cummins, all of which I've seen broke down at least a couple times. Usually with suspension problems. They can't take the terrain. Everything else is either the local MV's or the Toyotas.

If I had my way we'd all be traveling in American MV's out there.
Best wishes on the MV hunt, and keep us posted when you score one!
Jimmy

Pawnshop

I have used a M1009 as a daily driver for more than two years now with no issues uncommon with a 25 year old Chevy and other than no AC I can recommend it with no reservations. I have driven it off road some and it is very capable for a vehicle it's size, I would have no issues driving in your environment, on occasion. That said, it sounds to me like your needs require a vehicle tougher than a 1009, or at least a stock 1009. For DAILY use in those conditions be prepared to fix broken suspension and driveline parts, on whatever you choose. I would suggest starting off with a $4000 diesel powered 4x4 truck (any manufacture) and put some work into the suspension and tires, and lay in a supply of replacement parts. Chevy parts are cheap and easy to find, and M1009 are cool, go for it!

BIG_RED

When I bought my M1009, it was supposed to be "ready to roll". It had recently been revived from sitting for many years (as is common with decommissioned military equipment). For the first 6 months it broke down all the time. It gets more reliable all the time, with every part replaced and every retro-fit made. I would be weary about buying one and putting it right into service as something you depend on. That said, after owning my M1009 for almost 3 years and having worked most of the bugs out - I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere, anytime. It's track record for reliability over the last year was less than 2 days downtime - and those 2 days were for planned maintenance. Keep on top of it, and it'll serve you very well.

notsosanestan

i drove my m1009 from north jersey to ocean city maryland and back in less than 24 hours with no issues. Even had the top off the whole time lol this was when it was stock tho

hlcrkfrm

A m1009 is a little low on the power side if you are going to load it up, I would go with a used one ton truck , would get about the same mpg. The m1009 are not know for haveing much power, well at least my doesn't . Good luck with what ever you get,and welcome to the site. Dave

aggopian

Aside from the vehicle (read MV) specific quirks I think the m1009 represents the best of the light trucks. They are very rugged if maintained correctly need little improvement in the raw mechanics of the thing. That being said for your specific needs the truck, whatever you chose, should be treated like a Race car. Do not skimp on maintenance OR parts, cheaper IS NOT better.
A weekly detailed once over should preformed as well as a daily go-nogo.
If you are truly going remote this could be a matter of survival.

jdeoliveira74

I have had my m1009 since august since then I have driven from nc to Ny twice. I have done some maintaince to the truck when I purchased it. My truck has close to 120000 miles on it and I havent really had any major problems with it. I did break a universal joint in my drive shaft... my fault wasnt greased and ran dry. Maintence weekly she runs great good luck.
The head sucks in them from what I have seen!!

Oldsouthernboy

I have a M1028 that I am doing catch up maintaine on all I have to do now is replace the fuel filter with a up graded system. This truck with the overload springs and the front locker will get you about any place you want. I making this into a trail vehicle so I have added a Hummer winch on the front. Plus carry your weight of equipment. I have also added a CB with a weather channel adviser.

HKjk

If you search hard enough you may find a 1009 for sale that's already set up like you need unless you'd rather do the mods yourself. They ARE very reliable but as the txmytx_catahoula and Matt65 stated, make sure it's ready and make sure you read, know, and understand the TM's.

That is the debate if i go the M1009 route, but one from GL and bring it to a good working state, or buy one from a vendor for few thousand more and spend a few more thousand outfitting it the way I need.... I am no stranger to the torque wrench
thanks

HKjk

Aside from the vehicle (read MV) specific quirks I think the m1009 represents the best of the light trucks. They are very rugged if maintained correctly need little improvement in the raw mechanics of the thing. That being said for your specific needs the truck, whatever you chose, should be treated like a Race car. Do not skimp on maintenance OR parts, cheaper IS NOT better.
A weekly detailed once over should preformed as well as a daily go-nogo.
If you are truly going remote this could be a matter of survival.

I currently crawl under and exam the entire rig when I am home for the weekend (I essentially spend all weekend preparing for another week in the woods, groceries, laundry, maintainence, etc), looking for items and issues that may need attention. I agree with the race car analogy, attention to detail is critical, and if I could afford one I would own a proven baja race truck. Survival is also a factor because it is very backwoods with little assistance available (I have stayed overnight more than once in my rig).

I am looking at the M1009 because of the rear seat and cargo area (as compared to the 1008 or 1028)
the mileage the 6.2l seems to be showing
the lack of unnessarry electronics/computers
the ability to tow without having to go to 5:13's like in my jeep
the solid front axle (I would immediately go to d60 and 14bolt though)
the availability of parts, the price of parts
the army strong steel (unlike mopars paper thin stamped everything)
the fact that with well under $10,000 I could probably have something that will outlast what I have now and does not cost $52000 like the Ford Raptor I was considering prior to this....

thanks again all

Cleptomaniac

I love my 1009 but that makes me a little bias! That being said I have had mine for 6 mo ish and am hopeing to have enough of the bugs worked out that I can drive it cross country next year! But on a different note I would get in my deuce and drive any where I could afford! :twisted:

Midnight Rider

What kind of job do you do that requires you to off road so much. I think I want to change jobs now.

I actually own both a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and a 1009. Both are stock. For creature comforts I go with the Jeep, but for any real work, I use the 1009. The axles and gearing don't make it a great tow vehicle and it does seem slightly under powered. However I have towed a 16' flat bed heavy duty trailer without problems. I haven't had a lot of weight on the trailer yet though.

I would think with proper setup and maintenance the 1009 would be a great vehicle in place of your Jeep.

Katahdin

I'm guessing he operates in the North Maine Woods. Pretty much the entire northwest corner of the state is off-the-grid paper company roads. I once had my 93' Yukon come out of there with two broken leaves on one rear wheel. I think the damage was done when a vehicle shuttle driver drove it out of there to my kayak takeout spot. Another time I almost lost an axle on a trailer after losing leaf spring bolt.

I don't have any practical 1009 knowledge but I've spent some time on those roads and they drive way too fast on them (50+mph) to not break something on any vehicle, especially a 25-year-old one. But I understand time is money and there's a lot of dirt up there you need to cover.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to 101coolcars here on the site.

HE does the build up in either an 08 or an 09 and his work is impeccable

You can have it built any way you want, and it will be reliable.

No I don't work for him, but dang man you could eat off the floor of his shop - and they do it all - from paint and body to mechanical

BUT he's in Denver, Co so that could be problematic if you either can't go get it or have it shipped to you in Maine

welcome to the green iron disease and good luck

Barrman

I would suggest doing as Wallew wrote. Use his source or anybody you want. Find a truck built like you think you want. Then drive and try it out at work. While looking for another truck to be a back up as you do the maintenance that is going to be required on the first truck.

Reading your descriptions, I had two thoughts. Buy something new, drive it until the warranty goes and then get something else new. Or, buy two of something used. 1 ton trucks, FJ80's, CUCV's, anything you want. Get them both up to where they should be, run one for a week or month, swap out while you do maintenance on the down truck.

M1009 specific, I have to join in the praises listed above. My wife has been daily driving mine for 5 weeks now. It doesn't get much harder on a vehicle than that. I spent 18 months getting it worked up to where that was possible though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks