• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery Disconnect Switch??

ToddJK

I have a disconnect on the posi in my truck. Most would recommend a disconnect on the ground, but mine was already on the posi and it works so I kept it that way. I just made sure the posi wire was protected so it won't wear or rub on anything that can cause a short, but if you're wanting it just for maintenance, I don't see why the qd battery clamps won't work.

jplace1011

I have a disconnect on the posi in my truck. Most would recommend a disconnect on the ground, but mine was already on the posi and it works so I kept it that way. I just made sure the posi wire was protected so it won't wear or rub on anything that can cause a short, but if you're wanting it just for maintenance, I don't see why the qd battery clamps won't work.
I have a quick question. Is it safe/ok to use Ring Lugs on the battery cable ends for both batteries for both negative and positive posts?

The Negative Post in the front battery has this type of connection/lug. Picture below. There’s a Post Adapter on it, which I could simply remove. Then cut the Neg. Cable and add a Ring Lug.

I’m thinking of just putting those type of battery cable connections on my batteries so it will be faster to disconnect my batteries and also not wear out my current lugs. All 4 posts would be like in this picture below. All I would have to do is loosen the nuts and pull the connections off whenever I work in the vehicle. I’m just wondering if that safe to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ToddJK

I have a quick question. Is it safe/ok to use Ring Lugs on the battery cable ends for both batteries for both negative and positive posts?

I’m thinking of just putting those type of battery cable connections on my batteries so it will be faster to disconnect my batteries and also not wear out my current lugs. All 4 posts would be like in this picture. All I would have to do is loosen the nuts and pull the connections off whenever I work in the vehicle. I’m just wondering if that safe to do!

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but just need to make sure those connections stay nice and tight. If it gets loose, that's when it can arc and usually melts the ring lugs, I had that happen to me on my deuce which the who connector needed to be replaced.

jplace1011

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but just need to make sure those connections stay nice and tight. If it gets loose, that's when it can arc and usually melts the ring lugs, I had that happen to me on my deuce which the who connector needed to be replaced.
@ToddJK I’m thinking I could just check the tightness of those nuts every other week-ish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks