• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery Issues

Moejon0206

I just recently replaced both batteries in my M1009 with Interstate group 31's. When I reconnected the terminal cables, I connected positive first and then negative. When I was connecting the last negative, the lead started sparking and got red hot. Because it was a threaded post, the ring terminal was stuck and it was too hot for me to remove right away. The terminal posts are fine but I had some of the wires melt. It appears that I have lost both main charging wires. I have 2 questions:
1. Why was I experiencing, what appeared to be, flow resistance when connecting the new batteries when all connections were tight?
2. Where can I find these replacement cables (picture attached) since all of the parts stores look at me with a blank stare when I ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Moejon0206

I just recently replaced both batteries in my M1009 with Interstate group 31's. When I reconnected the terminal cables, I connected positive first and then negative. When I was connecting the last negative, the lead started sparking and got red hot. Because it was a threaded post, the ring terminal was stuck and it was too hot for me to remove right away. The terminal posts are fine but I had some of the wires melt. It appears that I have lost both main charging wires. I have 2 questions:
1. Why was I experiencing, what appeared to be, flow resistance when connecting the new batteries when all connections were tight?
2. Where can I find these replacement cables (picture attached) since all of the parts stores look at me with a blank stare when I ask?

nyoffroad

Not being a wise ass but it's obvious that something was hooked up wrong, Are you sure about the connections? A look in the TM's should give the correct connections. Just a guess but did you hook Pos.to Pos.? as in a 12 volt system ?

Moejon0206

Not being a wise ass but it's obvious that something was hooked up wrong, Are you sure about the connections? A look in the TM's should give the correct connections. Just a guess but did you hook Pos.to Pos.? as in a 12 volt system ?
Thanks for the reply! I'm new to the 24v system so I tried to reconnect exactly how it was connected with the old batteries when it was working properly. So should positive on battery 1 be connected to negative on battery 2 etc?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime I'm connecting a battery that I'm not sure of.
make sure you just briefly tap it there, should be no spark of any kind. if there's a spark you know there's a problem. And if you're still not sure make sure you smell and look for smoke because there could be something else wrong this basis is on a vehicle that you really have no idea of the history. so make sure you tap it lightly and get ready to pull it back if you're not sure of the hook up. Just a suggestion

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Moejon0206

Anytime I'm connecting a battery that I'm not sure of.
make sure you just briefly tap it there, should be no spark of any kind. if there's a spark you know there's a problem. And if you're still not sure make sure you smell and look for smoke because there could be something else wrong this basis is on a vehicle that you really have no idea of the history. so make sure you tap it lightly and get ready to pull it back if you're not sure of the hook up. Just a suggestion

Thanks! Great suggestion...learned it the hard way this time

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also get a crimp like something similar and make your own cables to the length you want pretty easy and simple as long as you get the right cable size ends for what you're connecting to

Moejon0206

You can also get a crimp like something similar and make your own cables to the length you want pretty easy and simple as long as you get the right cable size ends for what you're connecting to

Thanks! Terminal cables appear to be fine. It is the main charging wires from the alternators that melted. They appear to be 10 or 12 gauge with what looks like a fusible link on the end where they connect to the resistor bank on the firewall (next to the glow plug relay).

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch out for all that heat that built up, how it reacted to the fuse panel inside, the through wires going through the terminal block ETC

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks like they are both just 8 ga wire with 12 ga fusible link wire on the end connected to the terminal ring. Should not be too hard to make myself. Thanks for all the help.
Whatever you do, don't "cheap out" and decide that you don't need the fuse. I am a little concerned that the fuse didn't blow and stop the current. People have been known to hack a fuse with tinfoil or worse. Wish I could wave a magic wand and tell you what happened...

Your 24v system should be a (Bat1) Positive to the starter off the first battery, then a jumper that connects the negative from Bat1 to the positive on Bat2, then one last connection off Bat2 to frame ground. All those battery connections should be cable about the size of your finger.

Over the years, I have made a habit of keeping a good sharp (the teeth) set of Channel Locks in one pocket and a GOOD set of sharp 12 inch Klein sidecutters in the other. They sell a high leverage set. Yeah, you will spend about a hundred bucks for those two tools but they will last as long as you. AND, when something goes wrong -- you aren't standing there wishing you could "turn off the juice".

Doesn't seem like it now, but you really are lucky...
There are people who have reached down and grabbed a red hot wire and "smoked" their hands.

Moejon0206

Whatever you do, don't "cheap out" and decide that you don't need the fuse. I am a little concerned that the fuse didn't blow and stop the current. People have been known to hack a fuse with tinfoil or worse. Wish I could wave a magic wand and tell you what happened...

Your 24v system should be a (Bat1) Positive to the starter off the first battery, then a jumper that connects the negative from Bat1 to the positive on Bat2, then one last connection off Bat2 to frame ground. All those battery connections should be cable about the size of your finger.

Over the years, I have made a habit of keeping a good sharp (the teeth) set of Channel Locks in one pocket and a GOOD set of sharp 12 inch Klein sidecutters in the other. They sell a high leverage set. Yeah, you will spend about a hundred bucks for those two tools but they will last as long as you. AND, when something goes wrong -- you aren't standing there wishing you could "turn off the juice".

There are people who have reached down and grabbed a red hot wire and "smoked" their hands.
It looks like I was able to disconnect the lead before it did too much damage. The fusible links on both main charging wires did their job though. Thanks for all of the help! I'm the guy who has no real issues working through mechanical issues but hates dealing with the electrical issues so this forum is a God-send!

Moejon0206

I can see that!!! It was HOT

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It looks like I was able to disconnect the lead before it did too much damage. The fusible links on both main charging wires did their job though. Thanks for all of the help! I'm the guy who has no real issues working through mechanical issues but hates dealing with the electrical issues so this forum is a God-send!
Happy to hear that the fuses were there and helped stop the pain!

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks! Terminal cables appear to be fine. It is the main charging wires from the alternators that melted. They appear to be 10 or 12 gauge with what looks like a fusible link on the end where they connect to the resistor bank on the firewall (next to the glow plug relay).
Well, that's a bit scary.

No, they don't connect to the resistor bank on the firewall. The charging circuit has no connection to the GP resistor. Either you are mis-eyeballing it or somethin' ain't right!

Maybe you should post some pics of your wiring and we can give it the hairy eyeball to make sure it's all good.

But even without that, it's clear that something is wired wrong. There should be no drama when reconnecting the batteries. It's possible that you fried an alternator diode or two, as well as cooking the fusible links.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum that will show you how to test your alternators while on the vehicle. Very helpful.

Also check out the "Helpful Threads" sticky there. Tons of good info on the charging circult and on the fusible links. There may be more fried than you know.

MarcusOReallyus

Whatever you do, don't "cheap out" and decide that you don't need the fuse. I am a little concerned that the fuse didn't blow and stop the current. People have been known to hack a fuse with tinfoil or worse.
No, sir. The stock CUCV does not have fuses under the hood. It has fusible links. NOT the same thing at all. The terms are not interchangeable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks