• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cargo Management

dyocis

For all those people following my build thread, I'm getting close to being able to start working on the interior. I am working up different cargo management designs, and am looking for ideas. I'm a visual person and pics are literally worth a thousand words to me, so if you have any pics PLEASE upload them! I've contacted truckvault.com and a couple of other prefab distributors and they are all nice, but really expensive and I want a little more custom setup to take advantage of all the space I can. I'm still trying to decide what material I am going to use, its either going to be marine plywood or aluminum. Let me know if you have any opinions on either.

I'm going to put some of my ideas into AutoCad when I get home today and upload them. I'm definitely want at least 1 slide drawer that will support 150-200 lbs when it is extended. Also, with the rear seat folded down, I want the top of the box to be level with the back of the seat. I want the ability to throw a air mattress in the back when I'm camping or in the desert.

Thanks for reading, and please upload any pics that you have about the topic. I'm open to all ideas, and opinions.

dyocis

That has some elements of what I am looking to do, but I would like to keep the rear seat available, and fold it down when I am going to sleep in it. I plan on building permanent sliding drawers, in the back half, that have locks to store gear in. I started to 3D drawing last night, but wasn't able to finish it. I've got a work dinner tonight so I probably won't be able to finish it tonight either. I'll post it as soon as I've got a working copy.

Thanks for the input!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread a few years back of a guy that did the same type of thing. Every gadget had a place. I have been looking for it but haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking.

axshon

For my '09 I'm planning something similar but the idea's not fully fleshed out just yet. I'm going el-cheapo though and purchasing either 8" or 10" PVC pipes, cap them and strap them to the floor by bolting a few loops in the right places. That way I can set up for a range vehicle when I travel for competitions, cycling gear and equipment when I do that, camping or as an emergency vehicle (see my disaster recovery thread). Back seat stays also but I can make longer pipes for seat-folded if I need to. I'll just keep everything in the appropriate pipe and paint a stripe on the end. Task at hand = pipe stripe to use. Multiple uses = multiple stripes. I was thinking of just having a 3 piece plywood panel secured together with piano hinge for the sleeping surface. I figure all tolled I could pull it off for under $300 bucks. Of course I haven't a clue where to get pipe that large just yet but I can't imagine it will be too hard to find. In terms of size, my comp rifle has a folding stock so it would fit no problem. Some of the bench rest guys with 30+ inch barrels probably not so much.

You could also take a pipe one size smaller and rip it down the length, cutting off half or 3/5 of the diameter and build yourself a little drawer to go into the larger pipe. Little lag bolt on both sides to keep the inner pipe from rotating and you ought to be good. Also the space between pipes could be filled with smaller pipe for food supplies etc.

dyocis

For my '09 I'm planning something similar but the idea's not fully fleshed out just yet. I'm going el-cheapo though and purchasing either 8" or 10" PVC pipes, cap them and strap them to the floor by bolting a few loops in the right places. That way I can set up for a range vehicle when I travel for competitions, cycling gear and equipment when I do that, camping or as an emergency vehicle (see my disaster recovery thread). Back seat stays also but I can make longer pipes for seat-folded if I need to. I'll just keep everything in the appropriate pipe and paint a stripe on the end. Task at hand = pipe stripe to use. Multiple uses = multiple stripes. I was thinking of just having a 3 piece plywood panel secured together with piano hinge for the sleeping surface. I figure all tolled I could pull it off for under $300 bucks. Of course I haven't a clue where to get pipe that large just yet but I can't imagine it will be too hard to find. In terms of size, my comp rifle has a folding stock so it would fit no problem. Some of the bench rest guys with 30+ inch barrels probably not so much.

You could also take a pipe one size smaller and rip it down the length, cutting off half or 3/5 of the diameter and build yourself a little drawer to go into the larger pipe. Little lag bolt on both sides to keep the inner pipe from rotating and you ought to be good. Also the space between pipes could be filled with smaller pipe for food supplies etc.
I never thought of that option. I like the idea of being able to have gear stored in containers ready-to-go and only taking what is needed for the specific event. Maybe you can use the info in the link in post #2. The sleeping surface looks to be about 10" from the floor.

on1wheel01

I am about to design something like this for mine when I get the back seats 100% installed. I am going to do a wood system. Cut outs for different items as for water storage containers, ammo boxes and other items. . Ill post a pic when I start it.

dyocis

I checked those out, and even got a quote for the simple 1 drawer design. It was over 1800.00 with shipping. Think i mentioned that site in my initial post?

forest522

Indeed you did, sorry i missed that. Wow 1800.00. I'm not surprised by the price. I've heard of these things outlasting several vehicles. I bet one could make a reasonably solid copy for much less out of similar materials from the local hardware store. The trick is the drawer sliders and durability.

dyocis

Indeed you did, sorry i missed that. Wow 1800.00. I'm not surprised by the price. I've heard of these things outlasting several vehicles. I bet one could make a reasonably solid copy for much less out of similar materials from the local hardware store. The trick is the drawer sliders and durability.
They are really nice, i know a couple people who have them. Worth the money, from what i hear. Not willing to spend that kind of money for something that isn't specific to my needs though.

I've been searching on line for some heavy duty slides, but i need to do some measuring before i order them. Unfortunately i work out of town and won't be back home for a few weeks. If someone wants to take measurements and post them... :)

axshon

I've been to several sniper matches where various LE agencies participated and they had these mounted in the back of trucks and SUVs. They are very solid and take a serious beating. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it. One had the low profile version with a K9 enclosure mounted on top of it. The previous post was correct about the hardware. The biggest benefit is the ability to put a bunch of heavy stuff nearest to you and still be able to reliably extend the drawer all the way out. Not something that can be replicated without some quality (read expensive) hardware or interesting engineering.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have four 8' sticks of new aircraft seat track. I'm hoping to mount some 1' sections in the bed and under the seat to provide tie-down points for different boxes= sort of a modular set-up. Off-road recovery gear in a box, around town gear in a box, etc. I'm just not sure I can access the underside of the bed well enough to put nuts on the screws.

Type G here.

dyocis

Not something that can be replicated without some quality (read expensive) hardware or interesting engineering.
Your absolutely right. Quality is directly related to expense, and I don't have a problem paying for quality products that fill a need. I'm estimating about 300 - 500 bucks for for the slides alone.

I found this site: www.jonathanengr.com I haven't gotten a quote yet, but it has a "build your own slide" option that allows you to put in custom dimensions and requirements. I'll probably go with them when I know what I need.

I've decided to g0 with 1" square aluminum tubing for the structure and drawers will be made of aluminum to save on weight. Does anyone have thoughts on aluminum vs. steel plate for the outer skin? Obviously steel would be heavier and harder to get into, but I would have to bolt it together somehow. If I make the whole thing out of aluminum, I can weld the outer skin to the frame, and you would have to cut it off to get into it. Just throwing around ideas, let me know what you think.

Ohh, and I have decided to control the drawers with linear actuators that are connected to a micro-controller with a keypad. You will have to know the correct pin number to open each drawer. The best part about it, is that I can build the whole thing for less than a $100 bucks with an arduino board! The actuators may be a little expensive depending on the length, but I think the added security and "cool" factor will be worth it.

natemccabe

In AZ as a surveyor we had "Silvershields" something similar to the truck vaults. Ours was in a regular pickup bed but I know the make 'em smaller to fit inside of SUVs like out blazers. They lasted through several trucks and took a beating for having gear thrown into them all the time. I would recomend them to anyone with a 1008 as well, I bet the top would look sweet painted to match.

K9Vic

They are outrageously expensive for something that one could build for a fraction of the cost. I have an Odyssey Command Console in my Tahoe and cannot believe how much they retail for, and cities pay that price for them. What I do not understand is that the one I have I got used when a local city replaced their fire command vehicle, but they did not transfer it to the new vehicle. But to not get into a rant, that is not uncommon for cities to waste money like that.

This is $5000 and does not really have anything fancy in features. It works to keep my camera gear in place and locked up.

Attachments

forest522

Dyocis, FYI, there are no drawer sliders as one would imagine on the truck vault model. What i mean by this is that the drawers roll out on wheels/ rollers mounted to the floor of the box. I'll get some pictures for you soon. I think this is the secret to the strength of the drawers. They are just solid trays and the weight rides on the wheels. So, it really shouldn't be that hard to copy with the right parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks