• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 charging issue

jhyatt7

M1009 charging problem, Ok here's what I know, the batteries are not that old but have went bad, the alternators were tested and are good. Any ideas? When jumped (slaved) the truck starts immeadiately and there are no lights warning lights on. the headlights appear dim and the turn signals do not work. What are the most common charging issues with the M1009. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
replace the batteries with known good ones before starting any electrical troubleshooting.

Make sure they are fully charged AND load tested. Ask me how I know :whistle:

More than likely there is a wiring issue. Be it a burnt fusable link or dirty coinnection.

Last edited:

Roboskid

James I got a hold of the Interstate Battery rep. He said that they have factory seconds with 900 CCA for around 40 bucks. I am taking the top to the battery hold down with me and pick you a pair of batteries. We will work out the details later. :driver:

K9Vic

Hi James, wish you were close or I would just come out there and take a look at it.

It can be many things, but did you put new batteries in it? You can get recycled 31 series batteries from Interstate for about $60 each. I use those on all my trucks when they need to be replaced. If the batteries are bad, you will see those types of issues.

Make sure the GP relay is the correct one and not a Ford type relay with a grounded "I" post to the mounting bracket. That will can keep a draw on the 12v side and give you too low of a charge and it can also fry your GP card. Reference post to this, see last page.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/78979-glow-plug-relay-question-4.html

Clean all your contacts on the block, alternators, batteries, etc. A dirty contact can cause voltage problems. Also clean all the grounds for the headlight harness, they are on the radiator support on each side. In addition disconnect all the plugs and clean those, I will replace the headlight plugs on any truck I restore.

If all that does not fix it, are you sure the alternators are putting out about 14v? That is what they should be at under normal charging. Both together is about 28v at the firewall and 24v battery side.

Hope this helps...

K9Vic

James I got a hold of the Interstate Battery rep. He said that they have factory seconds with 900 CCA for around 40 bucks. I am taking the top to the battery hold down with me and pick you a pair of batteries. We will work out the details later. :driver:
That is a much better price at $40 over what I pay here for them.
They are a direct fit, just install them like this. You will need to relocate the hold down blots, spray them with WD40 or other and let it set for a while before you remove the bolts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Roboskid

The batteries ended up costing 60 bucks plus tax. The 40 dollar ones were not the right ones. K9vic James and will be trouble shooting the charging problems on his 1009 this weekend. Right now I am cleaning up the front battery tray. Had a lot of rust and a place where a spot weld broke loose. I wire brushed the big stuff and am using naval jelly on the rest. My brother gonna weld back up for James.

James still has a full time job fighting crime and I am retired so I got time on my hands and it keeps me busy.

cpf240

Test for continuity between the small terminals and the metal mounting tab. You'll need to disconnect the wires first, of course. If there is any continuity between either of the small terminals and the metal mounting tab, you will need to get a different relay. The GP relay must have isolated terminals. See the CUCV FAQ for some suggested relay model numbers.

K9Vic

Test for continuity between the small terminals and the metal mounting tab. You'll need to disconnect the wires first, of course. If there is any continuity between either of the small terminals and the metal mounting tab, you will need to get a different relay. The GP relay must have isolated terminals. See the CUCV FAQ for some suggested relay model numbers.

I am guessing that is the case looking at those pictures, the small terminal is grounded to the base and this is your charging problem. When you replace the relay with the correct one you may find that the GP card is bad, a transistor would be blown. You will know the GP card is bad because the GP will no longer cycle. If this is the case see the thread that I linked already on how to fix it. I still have plenty of those cheap $0.60 transistor, if you need one I can mail it to you at no cost Roboskid.

jhyatt7

Thank you Roboskid for all your doing to help me out, it really is above and beyond! This guy is a true friend. K9vic thanks for the advise. Cant wait to see me and Roboskid rolling down the road in our restored M1009s
rofl

K9Vic

Roboski, you said on the phone you wanted a picture of the GP relay so you can put the wires in the correct spot. I looked at the picture you posted and the one orange wire should be joined with the other orange wire. The red from the resistor block or bypassed 12v should be alone on the top post. The smaller wires can be on either post on your new relay.

This is from the M1009 I sold you, so you can also use that as a reference when you install the replacement.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks