• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, Cranks, Wait light Works, No start, No power to glow plugs

carter262

Got ready to run some errands this morning and bam no start. I have noticed recently that it was getting harder to start. Today it is about 70 degrees and rainy. Not cold by any means.

Symptoms:
Wait light works, on approx 6 seconds
Turns over
white smoke

Checked:
Power at light blue wire at glow plug card: 12 odd volts
Large red wire top of the solenoid on fire wall: 12 odd volts (resistor appears to have been by pasted prior to my purchasing it).
Large orange wire bottom of the solenoid on fire wall: no power with key in the off or on position.
Green glow plug power wire: no power when the wait light is on.

I changed out solenoid on fire wall: same results
Check all fuses: all good
Traced wires: no obvious problems

So now what? Once my ride gets here I am going to get another solenoid, the one I tried was a used one I had sitting around.

My questions are:
How do I tell if the card is bad? Would the card cause these problems?
What else could it be? What am I missing?

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a step-by-step procedure to test the controller card. It is in the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual, page 2-62, section 2-15

The small pink wire at the relay is hot when ever the key is on. The controller card controls the ground (light blue wire) when it senses the plugs need to be on. You can manually ground the light blue wire to see if your plugs are working and the truck will start.

E-07 glowplugs manual switch.GIF

Last edited:

carter262

Ok. Thanks Warthog,

Ok, I checked it.
Cut key on, 12.3v on red with (top of solenoid), 11.3 small pink wire.
Hooked meter to green wire going to glow plug, then touched jumper wire to light blue wire / post on solenoid and grounded it. The solenoid clicked and the green wire read around 12v.

So I assume this means that the card is bad. Am I correct on thinking that? I will read through the section of the manual in a bit. I have a printed one and have been reading and testing all morning, I just missed that section.

I know someone one here supplies them I will just have to figure out who. Until then I will put ina a push button to get me by but I prefer having it set back up to the original design.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or a bad temp sensor.

carter262

I got a push button and installed it. One wire from push button switch to post with small light blue wire on the solenoid on the fire wall. One wire from the push button switch to a bolt under the dash on the fire wall to provide a ground when I push in on the button.

Bam, it fired right up.

I will see if I can find and then replace the temperature sensor. I will clean the contacts on the card too. They looked good but it couldn't hurt. If those are not the issue then I'll check with Antennaclimber.

CW3Thopher do recall what they cost?

Guys thanks for all the help trouble shooting. I have tried to be a good member and do my own leg work by reading prior to posting but it helps to be able to get other opinions.

Thank you guys are the best.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug tempature switch is located on the rear of the drivers side cylinder head. It screws into a block off plate of a water outlet.

Glowplug Switch.jpg

Many times the switch or the connector plug become brittle and break or become very corroded.

The factory switch has two wires going into a round plug. BWD WT5133

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/WT5133.oap?ck=Search_wt5133_-1_234&keyword=wt5133

The switch has been updated to a new flat style plug BWD WT3000.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/WT3000.oap?ck=Search_wt3000_-1_234&keyword=wt3000

You can get a new pigtail for this style switch. BWD TSC200
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/PT191.oap?ck=Search_tsc200_-1_234&keyword=tsc200

If you remove the switch, sometimes the bushing also needs to be replaced. It is a 0.500-14 x 0.375-18 NPT bushing

Last edited:

carter262

Thanks that is some good information that I know I appreciate and bet others do too.

I will probably check it out over the weekend. Good news though, this morning pushed in my new little button for around 10 seconds and fire first time. :-D While it is not the original set up it is working!!!

Thanks again guys you are the best.

carter262

Thanks again. I looked at them and they are nice. Price seems good too. I will be ordering one soon.

12Gage

There is a step-by-step procedure to test the controller card. It is in the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual, page 2-62, section 2-15

The small pink wire at the relay is hot when ever the key is on. The controller card controls the ground (light blue wire) when it senses the plugs need to be on. You can manually ground the light blue wire to see if your plugs are working and the truck will start.

View attachment 518987
Having problems with mine as of right now, put a new st85 one from Napa, orange has no power, blue and pink both have about 11 volts, and glow plugs have nothing as well... any help? By the way, I don’t know how to find the “TM’s”

sneekyeye

....I don’t know how to find the “TM’s”
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tms-for-the-cucv.77609/ Those are the TM, wiring diagrams are in the 289-34. parts numbers are in the ones with suffix of "p"

Pink is the 12v supply wire from the glow plug card to the relay. The glow card grounds the blue wire when it is supposed to be on. If it were activating correctly, you would have 12v on pink and, if the relay is currently closed, ground on blue. As long as you have power supplied at the red wire, it should move to all the oranges as your relay closes. If your glow plug controller is not activating your relay, then you will have 12v on both blue and pink. In addition, the wait light is fed constant 12v by the fuse panel and only turns on when grounded by the glow plug controller on the third pin down on diagram.
You could have one or multiple failures. Also depends on how your wiring is been messed with on your particular truck.

12Gage

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tms-for-the-cucv.77609/ Those are the TM, wiring diagrams are in the 289-34. parts numbers are in the ones with suffix of "p"

Pink is the 12v supply wire from the glow plug card to the relay. The glow card grounds the blue wire when it is supposed to be on. If it were activating correctly, you would have 12v on pink and, if the relay is currently closed, ground on blue. As long as you have power supplied at the red wire, it should move to all the oranges as your relay closes. If your glow plug controller is not activating your relay, then you will have 12v on both blue and pink. In addition, the wait light is fed constant 12v by the fuse panel and only turns on when grounded by the glow plug controller on the third pin down on diagram.
You could have one or multiple failures. Also depends on how your wiring is been messed with on your particular truck.
Thanks for the info, quick question, could I tap or cut that blue wire and just run a switch or push button to send ground to the solenoid or would that be a bad idea?

sneekyeye

Thanks for the info, quick question, could I tap or cut that blue wire and just run a switch or push button to send ground to the solenoid or would that be a bad idea?
You could, but if you are going to do that, at least get a double pole, single throw switch so you can also wire the wait light into your circuit and have it come on when your glow plugs do.
New glow plug cards are available if you want to fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks