• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cucv fuel filter won't prime / bleed

dpaulus

Does anyone know why the m1009 fuel filter will not prime. Followed tm 9-3220-289-20 3-17 fuel filter maint bleeding.

removed old filter. Filled input port of new filter with some diesel and installed.

Cap off. Tube on port and routed to bottle (lower and higher than vent plug port).
pink wire disconnected.

Vent plug loosened several turns (took out and re threaded about a turn).

cranked engine for 15 seconds and waited 1 minute SIX times.

Still no no fuel coming out of the tube.
Does anyone know why it won't prime?

Thank you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have a leaking filter base(sensor) bad rubber line, rusted steel line, or dirty pickup sock.

Sometimes it takes a while to prime the system.

dpaulus

Doghead, thanks for the quick reply! I bought the battery tester, and the batteries are both good. I feel like I'm going to drain the batteries again if I keep cranking it so much.

the white plastic circle with a foam looking center looked dirty. Should I take it out and clean it with something?

thanks again!

markg

If your truck was running before this, fuel probably ran back to the tank. there is a check valve in the lift pump to prevent this but it may not work. if you installed a new fuel filter and filled it mostly with fuel , close the bottom drain. close the top bleed screw, crank the engine for 5 seconds. crack the top bleed screw, either air or a mixture will come out for a brief moment. close it and crank again. crack it and see what comes out. it should eventually be fuel. if nothing comes out, your lift pump is not pumping or you have a big air leak somewhere. its also possible your filter base is bad. you would have hard starts in the morning, mainly start and then die. many posts in this forum for everything i have told you. thanks. let us know how it goes.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the white plastic circle with a foam looking center looked dirty. Should I take it out and clean it with something?
Not sure what you are refering to.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not good. It was not supposed to come out when you changed the filter.

If it is, then that's the problem.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the filter parts diagram.

Are you referring to #15?

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirty is not a worry. Wet would be. That sensor is sealed into the housing, but they are well known to leak and cause an air leak. Any signs of fuel weeping out near it could be a problem.

You can spray it off with some cleaner, and wipe or blow it off and watch it for leakage in the future.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it turning over like it should?

Didn't you have trouble earlier with that?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try to pressurize the fuel tank, to help get it primed.

dependable

That is a good way to look for leaks in fuel line too. A good air gun with tube and a rag into fuel fill does the job. Keep face away . Open top of filter base and look for fuel/air coming out. Works best if filter base bleed is connected to tube and into clear container that you can see.

markg

Like i said before, was this truck running before all this? i would remove the inlet on the lift pump and blow back to the tank with compressed air. fuel in tank? pumps do quit but not overnight. they are only 25 bucks at the parts store if you need to replace it. plug the hole where the fuel sensor was, do it now or do it later, lots of posts on this. if your pump is working you should see air or fuel coming out the bleeder. thanks. mark
the 09's also have a fuel line port behind the passenger rear wheel, make sure the plug is on that line.

dpaulus

Markg, the truck was running again before this. I drove it around and let it idle for about half an hour.

ill try to include a picture of the wet foam on the sensor.

Attachments

markg

Markg, the truck was running again before this. I drove it around and let it idle for about half an hour.

ill try to include a picture of the wet foam on the sensor.
i would remove that sensor, pull it out and plug the hole behind it or replace the filter base with the napa spin on. lots of posts about that too. i tap the hole and plug it. not a hard job. if you dont it will drive you crazy!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks